Thread: constant (literally every 5sec) dropouts w/ linux client and WPA

constant (literally every 5sec) dropouts w/ linux client and WPA

Grabbed myself an asus wl-500w today, would like to say I'm satisfied with it but I'm not. As soon as I enable WPA I get constant dropouts on my laptop running kubuntu linux 8.04 (intel 3945 wireless chipset) - I'll tell the computer to log in, it will take a few seconds to do so, then within 5sec I get a message telling me the connection has been lost. The same setup works fine under XP SP3, or if I disable security. If I try to use WEP instead, the connection fails. The computer has been working without this problem with my old wireless router, a billion 7402w (802.11b).

Also having the same problems with my desktop, also running kubuntu, and its asus wl-160w (aka usb-n11) wireless adaptor, and the laptop with the iwl3945 chipset disabled and the asus wl-160w connected.

I'm using networkmanager, wlassistant, the iwl3945 for the laptop's chipset and the rt2870 driver (http://web.ralinktech.com/ralink/Hom...ort/Linux.html) for the rt2870 chipset in the asus wl-160w.

And what firmware are you using?
    What kind of encryption do you use, tkip aes
    did you modified anything in the advanced wireless settings?

I use a specially modified ubuntu for the eee pc, and I have a steady wireless and wired connection.
    Also on my other pc with ubuntu server I have a nice stable connection.

Using stock firmware atm, looking to swap over to olegs when I get the time to sit down with the router, bit swamped under atm unfortuantly.

Tried both TKIP & AES with both the 3945 and usb-n11, same prob all round Haven't touched the advanced settings section as yet, to be honest I don't know what half of those settings mean so I think I'll leave well enough alone

Wired hasn't been a problem for me, when I was trying to troubleshoot this I had the laptop plugged in via ethernet cable to the router and I swapped between setting the default routes to go via that device and the wireless devices. The wired connection did not drop once that I noticed.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me know that it works for you and it's not just some stupid design flaw that makes it impossible to get encryption working with linux clients period nice to know that I'm (hopefully) not wasting my time trying to get it to work lol

Quote Originally Posted by dal View Post
    Using stock firmware atm, looking to swap over to olegs when I get the time to sit down with the router, bit swamped under atm unfortuantly.

Tried both TKIP & AES with both the 3945 and usb-n11, same prob all round Haven't touched the advanced settings section as yet, to be honest I don't know what half of those settings mean so I think I'll leave well enough alone

Wired hasn't been a problem for me, when I was trying to troubleshoot this I had the laptop plugged in via ethernet cable to the router and I swapped between setting the default routes to go via that device and the wireless devices. The wired connection did not drop once that I noticed.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me know that it works for you and it's not just some stupid design flaw that makes it impossible to get encryption working with linux clients period nice to know that I'm (hopefully) not wasting my time trying to get it to work lol
    And this morning trying with tkip, wpa2 and wlassistant it all works fine - no idea what the difference it compared to the other day, just happy its working now lol

Quote Originally Posted by dal View Post
    And this morning trying with tkip, wpa2 and wlassistant it all works fine - no idea what the difference it compared to the other day, just happy its working now lol
    good
    I have some timeouts sometimes when using linux and windows
    but that is more like.... key change or something, dunno rlea
    it has something to do with encryption, as wep doesnt suffer from this problem
    the only reason I keep it on wpa for me is, that my media extender doesnt work with wpa2