Thread: Spare power supply for a router 6V output ?

Spare power supply for a router 6V output ?

Hi,

I have got spare power supply with 6V output.
    Is it safe to use it (original is 5V and 2,5A).
    I want to test it, but need your opinion .

Darius

Usually is not safe, and in this case is not for sure, try to resist temptation, or you really will damage your router or/and external hdd.
    Maybe not instantly but i beleave instantly ...
    LE : In your place i go to an electronist, this psu are ease to modify between +-20%, and get 5v from your 6v psu.
    Last edited by poiu; 24-08-2008 at 09:40.

Ok.
    I visited an electronist and he advised me to use a diode to have voltage to sink from 6V to about 5V.
    I will try and first ill use my multimeter to see what is exact voltage output from original power supply.

Darius

Quote Originally Posted by poiu View Post
    Usually is not safe, and in this case is not for sure, try to resist temptation, or you really will damage your router or/and external hdd.
    Maybe not instantly but i beleave instantly ...
    LE : In your place i go to an electronist, this psu are ease to modify between +-20%, and get 5v from your 6v psu.

Only 1 diode will drop about 0,45-0,5 v, so will need 2.
    But this is not the elegant way to do the job..
    Anyway you will need a 1-1,5a consum to see real voltage, the voltage tend to drop when a consum is apllied, how much depend on quality of psu.
    Danger come in this case because the 5v rail is used to supply power to HDD 5v rail too, so if HDD is powered by router the sensitive 5v logic rail will raise to 6v and kill your 5v logic parts on HDD (via usb connector wich is conected directly to external power supply).
    If HDD is not powered by router and the router power rail is on 6v the router power supply will fight against HDD power suply (wich is on 5v) via usb connector with 1v difference, and the stronger one will win ...crashing the other one or connectors between them.
    This is on first sight, the things can be much more complicated, i do not study the schematics of 500gp, in there can be chips suplied with 5v directly by external power suply too.
    The nicer hack is to modify 6v suply to give 5v from inside, the output voltage is stabilised by one voltage reference chip wich is ease to reconfigure by some resistors (the usually ic is tl431).
    My opinion ( ^^) is to not play with more then 5.2v with this thing.
    Last edited by poiu; 25-08-2008 at 17:57.

Get a 5v PSU cut off the plug and mount it on the new one.
    How expensive can it be nowdays ?

PS. Who powers HDD from a Router USB port ?!

Quote Originally Posted by calebz View Post
    Get a 5v PSU cut off the plug and mount it on the new one.
    How expensive can it be nowdays ?

PS. Who powers HDD from a Router USB port ?!

Umm... for example me. :-) I use an 2,5" HDD in an external case to seed my torrents.