Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Transmission 1.31

I finally got it working, thanks to all the hints in this thread. I must say, I like it compared to the old 1.22 version. However, I miss the graphical history information, it would be great if this could be available in some way. Also, is it necessary to use cron for scheduling this new transmission? Thanks to Oleo I managed to use cron to unpause transmission, in case I forgot to resume the torrents. Is this possible with this version too? I could not find .paused files, I guess transmission is completely rewritten....
    Thanks to Oleo (and others involved of course) for all your great work!
    Regards,
    Ecori

Hey

I also moved to the 1.32. I use OpenWrt with the ipkg-opt Ive upgraded it and it seems to work after starting the daemon.

I read a lot changed on nslu wiki.

Currently I started it manually and it seems to work ok but I cant find the config file and also the script seems to be buggy :
    It refreshes and works ok for a while and after that 'hangs up' but the torrent is being leeched. After a moment it refreshes a few time and goes back to 'hang up' state.

Should there still be a cron job for it or its enough to start it once ?
    What else should I configure (besides firewall ofcourse)?

Unhappy

Aug 23 16:40:36 (none) user.warn kernel: NET: 9 messages suppressed.
    Aug 23 16:40:36 (none) user.warn kernel: ip_conntrack: table full, dropping packet.
    Can anybody please tell me where do I find the cfg for this ?
    Can more options be adjusted in the cfg file so it doesnt kill the router with such high loads and conntrack? I used 1.0x before and I didnt get this message.

Ive found root@OpenWrt:~/.config/transmission-daemon#
    But there are only directories inside without the settings.json file.

Ok the move from 1.22 to 1.32 is complete - my final bug is that the preferences are not being saved after reboot.

Any help?

Velcrow

Quote Originally Posted by velcrow View Post
    Ok the move from 1.22 to 1.32 is complete - my final bug is that the preferences are not being saved after reboot.
    Have you read previous pages?

Where you’ve put your config (using start parameters for transmission-daemon)?

So theres no config file like the one mentioned on nslu wiki page just the switches for startup of the daemon ?

Transmission 1.33-1

I am very happy for the newest evolution of transmission!!

I am newbie, I have ASUS WL-520gU (cheaper and much smaller brother of WL-500gP) couple of days, I try older classical transmission 1.22 ( newly named "transmissiond"), but it was very unstable...
    I think, that using cron for watchdog awakening isnt good idea for stability. With 1.22 I have strong problems, mainly web router configuration don't recognise correctly the redirected SYSLOG, and upon few hours router hangs up, totally.

With 1.33 I have not problems yet. Only one. When I reboot router, or another intervention, operating panel of transmission (http://192.168.1.1:8008/transmission/web) is very..., very lazy. > Often I would think, that transmission hangs up, but not...

Hmmm, I have next problem.
    How can I effectively hibernate transmission, e.g. I need CPU power for another application, e.g. SAMBA, etc?
    I use "Pause All" for torrents (no torrent downloading or seeding), but CPU usage is still too high, above 80%!!!
    I dont need "killall transmission-daemon", but hibernate (minimal CPU usage and swapped from RAM).
    Last edited by harrym; 25-08-2008 at 05:24. Reason: new problem

@ kaizen

Thanks - Have read the previous posts the issue seems to be with just the preferences...the status of existing torrents is kept.

I am assuming that the preferences are stored in the JSON settinngs file. So when I change these using the web interface and save them they are kept but on reboot they are reset.

ONLY the preferences that are not set using the initial command are reset

Code:
    transmission-daemon -p 8008 -g /tmp/harddisk/torrent/config -w /tmp/harddisk/torrent -t --auth   -u xxxxxxxx   -v yyyyyyyyy
    e.g. the web port and the -w ( working directory are kept)

but the upload /download limit etc. are reset to a default?

Velcrow

Went back to 1.22

I didn't want to go back to 1.22, but I had to since I had too many lockup problems with 1.32 and 1.33. I really like the new interface and will try it again, but for now, 1.22 is working famously.

To install 1.22, there is a special package:

ipkg install transmissiond

worked like a charm. thanks as always oleo!

low priority

Hi,

nice transmission-daemon
    is good idea, much better response from router.

Can you explain what the "nice" does?

nice

Can you explain what the "nice" does?
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Thanks for the google link -

No really - thanks

I was more interested in the "real-world" effect this has on Transmission 1.32 and the cpu load of the WL-500gp etc...

But thanks for your input

@ kaizen

Thanks - Have read the previous posts the issue seems to be with just the preferences...the status of existing torrents is kept.

I am assuming that the preferences are stored in the JSON settinngs file. So when I change these using the web interface and save them they are kept but on reboot they are reset.

ONLY the preferences that are not set using the initial command are reset

Code:
    transmission-daemon -p 8008 -g /tmp/harddisk/torrent/config -w /tmp/harddisk/torrent -t --auth   -u xxxxxxxx   -v yyyyyyyyy
    e.g. the web port and the -w ( working directory are kept)

but the upload /download limit etc. are reset to a default?

Velcrow
    I store my config in /tmp/mnt/harddisk/.config, i start transmission only with -g option, my settings are all there after every reboot. The only problem i encounterd is the torrent checking after reboot. Often i have to delete the "resume" folder into the settings directory and check again every torrent to make it work.
    nice transmission-daemon works good for me, really low cpu usage.
    Using transmission 1.33b1 right now.
    Last edited by Kenny; 27-08-2008 at 13:57.

Thanks for the google link -

No really - thanks

I was more interested in the "real-world" effect this has on Transmission 1.32 and the cpu load of the WL-500gp etc...

But thanks for your input
    Hey velcrow, there is no such thing as general "real-world" effect. When you set "nice transmission-daemon" you are assigning transmission a priority number of 10. If another process with a lower priority id is running, the system will provide that process with more cpu-time. If only transmission is running, you will not notice anything new, the cpu load will be the same.

On the other hand, if transmission is running, and for example you start a ftp transfer, the system will prioritize the ftp server (supposing it has higher priority), and assign the cpu to the ftp server. When the ftp transfer is complete, then transmission daemon will have the cpu for itself. the cpu load will be the same, but the ftp process will finish earlier.

You can't foresee what the effects will be on your router. Maybe you notice an increase in the performance or maybe not. Because there are a lot of factors which have influence on the cpu load: the services you have installed, the tasks running on the router....The only thing that you can take for granted is that if transmission and another process are battling for cpu, transmission is going to lose ;-)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast