Thread: transmission.cgi new WEB interface - "Pir8s never die"

transmission.cgi new WEB interface - "Pir8s never die"

Hello,

first of all I'd like to thank the big community of this great forum for maintaining and developing third party software to our beloved Asus devices. You guys simply rock

Now as a small nifty gift I want to introduce my own transmission.cgi web interface that I've made for my WL500GPv2. The title of it might seem strange, however, the whole pirates and skulls deal cannot be seperated from torrenting. Hence I decided to call it "Pir8s never die".

The main features are:
    • Sysinfo page
    • Uploading .torrent files from browser
    • Great dark theme looking good even on a mobile
    • Slightly updated INFO page
    • New graph in LOG

The design and layout of the theme was partially borrowed from the free templete I found on google.

To have an ability to upload files via browser to the device one has to install perl on his/her Asus router. (ipkg install perl, you know the drill, so I won't get into details with that)

I also made a small shell script that once added to crontab generates a graph of sysload/bandwidth and puts it on my webhost via ftp. It's sort of useful, because user doesn't have to login to web interface to see the real time speeds and thus put even more workload on his Asus box.

If anyone feels like want to give it a try or would like to help me to keep on developing it, I can share sources. I also look forward hearing some ideas or wishes that one would like to see in new versions... or would be so kind and point me out the bugs, cause I know it's full of it

All talk aside, let's get down to the pictures. I apologize for huge size

Last edited by GoldDigger; 06-08-2008 at 08:06.

Hi,

this is the best first post i have seen for a long time
    Thank you!

Give us the sources and testing will follow.

wengi
    Übersicht aller HowTos --- HowTo Overview (mostly german)
    WL-HDD mit diesem Setup. --- WL-HDD with this setup.
    Kein Support per PM - Frage im jeweiligen Thread! --- No support via pm - ask in the according thread!
    Eine wirklich gute Idee erkennt man daran, dass ihre Verwirklichung von vorne herein ausgeschlossen erscheint. (Albert Einstein)

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm attaching the /opt/share/www dir tar'd up, so the best idea for everyone to test everything out would be just renaming your old www dir to something like www1 and extracting my archive into /opt/share (that's the case if you're using busybox's default httpd, which suits my needs perfectly)

I also have secured my web interface with user/password as my transmission webif port is forwarded to be able to access it from outside networks.

Some variables in transmission.cgi are named in my native language, but they are pretty self explanatory so everything should be fine.

For putting my cron generated graph.png to the external webhost my shell script (graph.png) is using lftp with script ftp.script (you should change your user credentials there). Therefore, one should ipkg install it as it's very useful and F/W doesn't come with an ftp client.

Prerequisits:
    • lftp
    • perl

That's it. Now let's just make this useful for everyone.

www.tar follows.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi,

does it mean your WERB GUI works in parallel to WEB GUI by Asus or Oleg ?
    What is hot is new features.

Does it provide a nice interface to edit configuration file by Oleg, Asus
    one storing basic router configuration data entered from WEB Interface ?

I tried one day to read what data/ variables are stored in such file.
    Unfortunately it is in no-new-line format - as a string,
    so I see no chance for nice formatting in text editor.

Mayby Unix2DOS should work someway.

What is very important to me is bandwidth management.
    I need interactive hot interactive shell script to run to update
    traffic shaping on request or basing on some network parameters.

Please let me know your opinion.

Darius

No, my web interface isn't parallel to the default one, and why should it be? What I have done is, basically I just modded the transmission.cgi to look like it looks in the attached pics and I also added some features.

However, bandwidth management and configuration file editing on-the-fly are still way out of my target Unless someone gives a piece of advice of how to implement such features. Someone?

I have attached my sources more than few hours ago, but for some reason it needs approval, so let's just wait... then everyone who wants, can give it a go.

Thanks.
    Excellent job.

Replace configuration file editing on-the-fly by
    running shell scripts with interactive user/ system/ network generated input
    on-the-fly.

I can run iptables rules on the fly, no need for reboot, from command line.
    Need script to shape Wifi traffic basing on some data, parameters - meant interactive script.

I know what I need.
    I don't know how to implement traffic shaping with standard Linuy tools.

Iptable rules has --limit option , number of packets per sec.
    Can I use it for traffic shaping from each specified Wifi client ?

Darius

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    No, my web interface isn't parallel to the default one, and why should it be? What I have done is, basically I just modded the transmission.cgi to look like it looks in the attached pics and I also added some features.

However, bandwidth management and configuration file editing on-the-fly are still way out of my target Unless someone gives a piece of advice of how to implement such features. Someone?

I have attached my sources more than few hours ago, but for some reason it needs approval, so let's just wait... then everyone who wants, can give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by darius View Post
    I can run iptables rules on the fly, no need for reboot, from command line.
    I would like to see the example shell script that would do so. Actually any script that manipulates .conf files from web with shell script is sort of useful to see.

Having an option to configure transmission speeds from webif would be handy. That is no question, we all agree on that. However, another thing interests me. When and how transmission rereads transmission.conf file and starts using that configuration? Is it enough to wait for crontab to run watchdog or one should pause/resume from web.

Getting grasp of two above mentioned things would allow us to be able to change settings of transmission without having log on the box and editing conf manually by text editor.

I mean basic traffic shaping enabled from a command line input.
    It worked for me from telnet/putty session with iptable rules
    inserted on-the-fly.

What I need to work out is dynamic interactive NAT, firewall, masquarade, traffic shaping and more.
    Basic interactive tools run on-the-fly.

Just tell me if iptable with --limit option can shape traffic from Wifi clients.
    If not iptables, so what.

Need to write basic solution shell scripts.
    What is hot , there no need for save, reboot
    as parametrized shell scripts can be run live demon-like.

Darius

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    I would like to see the example shell script that would do so. Actually any script that manipulates .conf files from web with shell script is sort of useful to see.

Having an option to configure transmission speeds from webif would be handy. That is no question, we all agree on that. However, another thing interests me. When and how transmission rereads transmission.conf file and starts using that configuration? Is it enough to wait for crontab to run watchdog or one should pause/resume from web.

Getting grasp of two above mentioned things would allow us to be able to change settings of transmission without having log on the box and editing conf manually by text editor.

Great Stuff!

Lets try it...

Prerequisits:
    lftp
    perl

Attaching it. Extract it to /opt/share/
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just in case anyone is following, there are some fancy updates already done to this webif.
    • fixed uptime showing
    • fixed 4gb counter reset in traffic (due to ifconfig/kernel limits). webif is now using vnstat
    • seperate graph for sysload
    • current transmission conf is shown in misc>Settings. working on settings editor that would let users change general configuration such as speeds/port

Sources will be posted once I'm fully done with settings editor.

For those with little skils and who have folow wengi how-to, lines 658 and 662 in transmission.cgi must be modified like :
    "/dev/discs/disc0/part3" .

[solved]
    just need to save and restart.
    Last edited by mataanjin; 16-10-2008 at 01:45.