Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Features or stability???

Quote Originally Posted by JAW
    Other than going round to other houses in my street and smashing any routers I find does anyone have any ideas or does it sound too far fetched ?
    Put a shield between your router and the other router.
    Brubber

WL-500g, WL-138g, WL-160g

Quote Originally Posted by int
    New ideias Oleg?
    Yes, turn radio off and check if it helps.

I also had a problem with rebooting... (WL-500g) The 1.9.2.7 firmware was sometimes okay, yesterday running for 25 hours before it started getting weird...

I listened to some streams and it kept rebooting evert 5-10 mins or so :-(

I enabled samba and dropbear. Too bad no diagnostic messages, not even on the console (i had an ssh console open, no messages on that).

Downgraded to 1.8.1.7-3, trying that now.

A tip: could the 'watchdog' process restart the system? (Maybe too less memory? etc?)
    Last edited by zonax; 27-02-2005 at 19:57. Reason: small comment

How about both?

I agree with the original statement here that stability seems to be a problem even in the ASUS "stable" firmwares. So I'd vote first to thank the developers of custom firmwares and then to ask them to try to develop two concurrent streams of improvements, one for stability and one for features. Knowing absolutely nothing about the technical side of things, I assume that the addition of new features often creates potential stability problems. Custom stability versions could work on just ironing out problems in official ASUS firmwares. I also agree, though, that this should really be on ASUS.

This is random and a total wild shot, but I wonder if this has anything at all to do with poor ASUS default firewall rules?

Still no real sollution??

When is the next version of ASUS expected? I still hope that this will bring a sollution!

I even stopped looking at chupa.nl because all the latest firmware versions have the reset-bug.

I really have no alternative than running the old versions.

OK, I feel rather silly, but I solved my stability problem.

The problem was that the power lead to my USB hub had got knocked out, so it was unpowered. I am running a printer and a flash USB drive off the hub. I guess the power load was too much for the router's single USB port causing it to reboot. Don't know why it aways occurred when there was another network around.

Plugging back in the power lead fixed all the stability problems (so far, 48 hours up without a problem, best I have had for 3 weeks).

Don't know if that helps anyone else.

I don't think it does, JAW... I don't think it does. But I have to say that troubleshooting this router is not the easiest thing to do; it gives mixed responses to various issues--it's almost impossible to determine their cause.

Oleg see this:

Quote Originally Posted by Alice
    Just noticed an unusual thing:

My setup:

wl500-g, booting from usb disk, debian installed.
    conneting to it with telnet (telnetd, actually busybox): reboots at ~ 15-20 minutes.
    connected with telnet, started dropbear, connected with ssh, killed telnetd: all ok.

maybe this will help someone.
    may the problem are the same?
    Last edited by int; 13-03-2005 at 10:28.
    Home Page
    Marco Sousa from PORTUGAL
    [ WL-500g - fw: 1.9.2.7-7e [Oleg] | WL-500gP - fw: 1.9.2.7-7f-USB-1.63 [Oleg&koppel.cz] ]

When 'browsing' through the web-interface, the memory usage of the httpd process is increasing, so I quess there must be some kind of memory leak there...

Also, two minutes ago I noticed the httpd process died and restarted (with a new pid and less memory usage). It might have something to do with this problem.

Besides this: settings a remote syslog server doesn't give me more information on reboots (not in my case anyway).

I may be jumping to conclusions, but so far I've found that a network device was causing my instability. However, my router problem wasn't that it rebooted unwantedly... My computer, wireless, would lose its connection after a few days with 1.8.1.7-3 firmware (at least, it occured less often), but with 1.9.2.7-based firmwares it would happen after a few minutes and then happen again after a few hours (a lot more frequently, anyway). This led me to believe it was the router's problem--investigating further, I realized that the other wireless computer on the network didn't have such problems (I had just figured it was because it wasn't on as much) so I took the WL-138g from that one (originally the WL-138g was in my computer but the other computer froze with the MN-710 that my computer had been using) and the problem hasn't occured yet. Another huge problem that occured when using the MN-710 is that it seemed to ignore broadcast frames after a while--at least, broadcast ARP (you can imagine the consequences of that--loss of LAN connectivity). When putting the MN-710 on the other computer and examining its characteristics (it takes a while to freeze that other computer) I noticed that after a little bit of time it had the same loss of LAN connectivity as my computer had had.

Anyway, does this mean the MN-710 is bad? Actually, maybe not. It may just not be very compatible with the WL-500g. Adapter choice is very important. Be sure to get a high-quality one. It will save a lot of frustration. (... ok, so the WL-138g is definitely not high quality, but it is made by ASUS too.)

Let me repeat that it may still be too early to tell if everything is working neato with 1.9.2.7-4, but my connection has been up all night anyway (12 hours at the time of this writing).

Um... I think I said I wouldn't do this, but--the problem still is VERY PREVALENT in the WL-138g--I mean, the stability problem. However, Odyssey Client solves it, so... way to go Wireless Zero (not). In other words, for anybody having wireless drop problems, try a third party client.

And Where about the reboot issue in all 1.9.X.X version?

I have fully reset the WL500g with the 1.9.2.7-4 and I configured only in page of my WL.

And after some hours (random time), my WL reboot!!!

What happen to only some AP this issue happen?

ISP? AP Version (V2 ou same like that, chip)? Or what?

this are very annoying..
    Last edited by int; 18-04-2005 at 19:02.
    Home Page
    [ WL-500g - fw: 1.9.2.7-7e [Oleg] | WL-500gP - fw: 1.9.2.7-7f-USB-1.63 [Oleg&koppel.cz] ]

And Where about the reboot issue in all 1.9.X.X version?

I have fully reset the WL500g with the 1.9.2.7-4 and I configured only in page of my WL.

And after some hours (random time), my WL reboot!!!

What happen to only some AP this issue happen?

ISP? AP Version (V2 ou same like that, chip)? Or what?

this are very annoying..
    Have you tried 1.9.3.6?

Yes, and i have this post in this thread.

reboot issue. (fw 1.9.3.6)
    Home Page

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast