Thread: Can't seem to keep a user after a reboot

Can't seem to keep a user after a reboot

Here's the deal:

I've created a bunch of users which are requires by some apps, and all works fine, but when I reboot, the list of users and groups is reset to the default. Is it because the box is running the fixpasswd.sh (or something like that) script after every boots? If so, I'm assuming I can modify the script safely to add the few users I want. The box won't reboot often, but after a powerfailure, I don't want to have to reconfigure my box.

Which user managment thing?

Do you have Password Based Share Access(PBSA) or User Based Share Access(UBSA) enabled?
    I guess the former.
    In another post you said that you used tmpuseradd, so i think you have PBSA. Otherwise, with UBSA you would be able to create users with the GUI.

I use PBSA for some odd reasons, and without that fixpasswd.sh I would be left with a passwordless and homeless root user.
    I guess that with PBSA none of your additional users can stand a reboot.

Try UBSA.

Regard,
    Marc

Interesting. When I did that however, I could no longer login because the bash path that it creates under that mode is not valid (So basically I can't telnet). If I knew what that was doing, I could probably replicate that and fix the path correctly. I wonder if it calls that script all the time however to "fix" it when it's running PBSA. I'll try and put something that dumps a file in there on boot-time, so I'll know if that's the culprit. I am guessing it is. If so, I can probably create a master copy of those files and just overwrite them vs creating them at every boot. Overall, it's a painfull process, but sounds do-able.

Anyone else has any bright ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
    Do you have Password Based Share Access(PBSA) or User Based Share Access(UBSA) enabled?
    I guess the former.
    In another post you said that you used tmpuseradd, so i think you have PBSA. Otherwise, with UBSA you would be able to create users with the GUI.

I use PBSA for some odd reasons, and without that fixpasswd.sh I would be left with a passwordless and homeless root user.
    I guess that with PBSA none of your additional users can stand a reboot.

Try UBSA.

Regard,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by ti_chris View Post
    Interesting. When I did that however, I could no longer login because the bash path that it creates under that mode is not valid (So basically I can't telnet). If I knew what that was doing, I could probably replicate that and fix the path correctly. I wonder if it calls that script all the time however to "fix" it when it's running PBSA. I'll try and put something that dumps a file in there on boot-time, so I'll know if that's the culprit. I am guessing it is. If so, I can probably create a master copy of those files and just overwrite them vs creating them at every boot. Overall, it's a painfull process, but sounds do-able.

Anyone else has any bright ideas?
    Please don't answer first and quote after that.
    I have /opt/home/root and /opt/home/marc.

Succes
    Marc

To make users stick you need to be in USBA mode. In this mode, the passwd file is stored on the HDD (/etc/passwd-> /tmp/passwd -> /shares/MYVOLUME1/__pdc/passwd).

In PBSA, /tmp/passwd is regenerated at power-up. My fixup script adds the "admin" account with a valid shell, in either mode, to facilitate a proper login.

- K.C.