Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: HELP!!!

  1. #1

    HELP!!!

    Alright, I really fucked it up this time. I tried to install the 2.0.0.7 firmware in a pale attempt to regain telnet access. I actually did regain the access, but for some dumb reason, I decided to reformat the disk (that's fine I had no important data on it). The problem now is that I can't boot the damn unit anymore . it's bricked.


    I can flash the 1.x megs using tftp (that works perfectly). But after that, when I try to restore the firmware on it using the Asus tools, it comes back with an error "10054" and bails on me. The thing I used to flash is flex.trx file that kfurge gave out in one of the forums.

  2. #2
    The tftp transfer does not actually flash anything. It just loads the kernel into RAM and boots a minimal memory filesystem which knows how to speak the Asus reflash protocol. Tftp with a .trx then flash with a .nas file. You may have to press the reset button on the back a time or two to fully get it back.

    - K.C.

  3. #3
    So Here's what I do:

    -I tftp flash.trx onto the device (That works fine)
    -Press Reset
    -Device boots up with the HD spinning, the port light comes on and the power light comes on, the IDE light flashes ONCE and then it never changes.
    -I try to push the NAS file with the firmware restoration tool and I get:
    "
    Downloading C:\WL700gE_1.0.7.8.nas...
    ERROR: Transfer failed: 10054
    "

    Could you please re-port flash.trx? I'm just wondering if I got a bad version of it (I got my 1.0.7.8 from Asus, which should be fine).

    Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    The tftp transfer does not actually flash anything. It just loads the kernel into RAM and boots a minimal memory filesystem which knows how to speak the Asus reflash protocol. Tftp with a .trx then flash with a .nas file. You may have to press the reset button on the back a time or two to fully get it back.

    - K.C.

  4. #4
    BTW: I do a "press & release" reset. I have tried a "press and hold" reset and that didn't work either

    Quote Originally Posted by ti_chris View Post
    So Here's what I do:

    -I tftp flash.trx onto the device (That works fine)
    -Press Reset
    -Device boots up with the HD spinning, the port light comes on and the power light comes on, the IDE light flashes ONCE and then it never changes.
    -I try to push the NAS file with the firmware restoration tool and I get:
    "
    Downloading C:\WL700gE_1.0.7.8.nas...
    ERROR: Transfer failed: 10054
    "

    Could you please re-port flash.trx? I'm just wondering if I got a bad version of it (I got my 1.0.7.8 from Asus, which should be fine).

  5. #5
    I actually found the asus utility to get the flash from the nas files and although most of the new flash I got work, none of them allows me to flash the nas file onto it. So there is probably no need to send me new flash files since they are unlikely to work. The issue must be in the way I'm doing this :/.

    Quote Originally Posted by ti_chris View Post
    BTW: I do a "press & release" reset. I have tried a "press and hold" reset and that didn't work either

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ti_chris View Post
    So Here's what I do:

    -I tftp flash.trx onto the device (That works fine)
    -Press Reset
    -Device boots up with the HD spinning, the port light comes on and the power light comes on, the IDE light flashes ONCE and then it never changes.
    -I try to push the NAS file with the firmware restoration tool and I get:
    "
    Downloading C:\WL700gE_1.0.7.8.nas...
    ERROR: Transfer failed: 10054
    For sure omit the step in bold. You should not reboot after loading the flash.trx file. Doing this will just reload whatever garbage is already in the router.

    You can get a fresh flash.trx from here:

    http://www.wl500g.info/files/asus/cu...urge/flash.trx

    - K.C.

  7. #7

    Stil no :(

    Arg. Alright. Thanks so much for the help. I've tried it and I still can't get it to work somehow. I successfully tftp the firmware onto the box. Once that is done, I can no longer ping the box and I also can't send anything to it via the firmware updater tool. All lights are off at this point.

    Could you write the steps as if I was a noob. Maybe I'm doing something really stupid and don't know about it.


    Just really sad to see this dead box
    Thanks

  8. #8
    I think you've got the proper steps. There's usually nothing more that tftp-ing the flash.trx file and reflashing. Can you post the output of your tftp program?

    - K.C.

  9. #9
    Alright. Here's the output:

    "
    tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT flash.trx
    Transfer successful: 1683456 bytes in 4 seconds, 420864 bytes/s

    ping 192.168.1.1
    Request timed out.
    "

    The firmware update tool idles at:
    "
    Attempting to download firmware to local subnet.
    Use control-c to exit.
    "

    However I would expect that I would still be able to ping the unit after having flashed it.

    Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    I think you've got the proper steps. There's usually nothing more that tftp-ing the flash.trx file and reflashing. Can you post the output of your tftp program?

    - K.C.

  10. #10

    hey

    Hey, this might sound crazy but i put my router through hell... i mean i though the sucker was dead for good tired for days and nothing... But then i installed kamikaze following the directions and then i used kamikaze control panel to upload factory firmeware from Asus. Formatted my harddrive and then used that tft thing but i put a different file.. i can't recall the file but i will post it here when i remember. and everything was up and running. let me know how it goes good luck don't give up yet!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by ti_chris View Post
    However I would expect that I would still be able to ping the unit after having flashed it.
    Yes, you should be able to ping it... I'll hook up my serial console and go through the process step-by-step to see if I can give you some things to try to see how far the router is getting.

    One other thing to try.... Can you take the HDD out of the router, put it into a Linux box and "dd" the first 100meg with zeros? You might have some 2.0.x garbage that's somehow messing things up. Scrubbing off all remnants of 2.0.x off will remove that as a possible problem.

    - K.C.
    Last edited by kfurge; 27-06-2008 at 03:47. Reason: Added HDD scrub

  12. #12
    Yes, I'm assuming that my HD has a bad partition. The good news is that I sent the unit to Assus and they managed to fix it (and are sending it back). I'm hoping they'll tell me what went wrong or how they fixed it (although it's unlikely). I'll try and see if I can get some details, cause it's always useful for the future.


    Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    Yes, you should be able to ping it... I'll hook up my serial console and go through the process step-by-step to see if I can give you some things to try to see how far the router is getting.

    One other thing to try.... Can you take the HDD out of the router, put it into a Linux box and "dd" the first 100meg with zeros? You might have some 2.0.x garbage that's somehow messing things up. Scrubbing off all remnants of 2.0.x off will remove that as a possible problem.

    - K.C.

  13. #13

    Hey

    Hello, i got the same error and i know the perfect fix for this. I did the same exect thing as you did. In order to fix this i had to go to one bad hell journey. Anyways first i did was installed Karmikaze after within the Karmikaze interface i installed the original firmware from asus main website. Then harddisk will auto-rebuild. sorry about the spelling but i am currently in class and can't type much please let me know if u need more guideance. trust me dude there is a solution to this, i am no guru but i know i got mine working after a week of hard work trying to get it back and the help of this community. Try to load that Karmikaze img. you will have the terminal back up and running and the router should respond to the pings.
    Last edited by Fullback; 07-07-2008 at 20:43. Reason: more details.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •