Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WL-HDD ready for thrashcan?

WL-HDD ready for thrashcan?

I had firmw. 1.2.3.0 running. Installed JockyW firmw. 1.1.2.8 with files. Until I had to flash, everything was going fine. It stopped when flashing. Now when I turn it on, pwr led flashes and after several seconds it stops. Tried restoring firmware, asus discovery doesn't work, put pc in same ip. Can't make a connection. Can I do something with USB? Or can I throw it away?

have you tried firmware restoration already?

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Firmware restoration:
    I connect wl-hdd to power, pwr led flashes, start firmware restoration, select 1.2.3.0 or JockyW firmware and click upload. Pwr led stops flashing then only led for network is on. Firmware tool: connecting to the wireless device, after some 30 secs. : no device in recovery mode is found

did you actually PUT the device into firmware restoration?

e.g. holding the button while powering on ?

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Mine is dead too!

I had the same issue. Downgraded Firmware - and after that i couldnīt access the baby. Tried everything but i didnīt manage to get into this restoration mode. At last i sent it back to the supplier as warranty case.

ciao,
    jbk

eventual do a very risky thing
    just put the WL-HDD into recovery modus:

be sure unit is powered off
    be sure LAN cable is connected
    be sure your PC has a STATIC IP
    be sure to have to firmware restoration tool at hand

do the following

shortcut PIN10 of the FLASH (AMD) chip with GROUND while powering on, release immediately. The unit should now enter recovery modus
    (power led wil flash)

start firmware restoration of a old firmware 1.1.2.8 or something

please send us the results

Some weeks ago I had the problem that I couldn't flash a firmware. Neither the web interface nor the Asus restore tool worked. I found out that following rescue procedure always works (pc connected to asus by cable of course):

Code:

Recovery!!: 
    ----------- 
    1. pull power cable and wait 20 seconds 
    2. keep button pressed and connect power cable: power led should flash 
    3. ping 192.168.1.220 should reply else redo steps 1 and 2 
    4. run Asus Firmware restoration tool, select firmware file (e.g. WLHDD_1.1.2.7_en.trx) and press upload. After some seconds press the Abort button or wait until it says "Upload fails! Please check the connection" 
    5. from a dos box or linux console run: tftp -i 192.168.1.220 put WLHDD_1.1.2.x_en.trx 
    6. tftp returns something like: "Transfer successful: 3731456 bytes in 2 seconds, 1865728 bytes/s" if it doesn't redo steps 1-5 (sometimes I needed three or four times before it worked) 
    7. after ca. 80 seconds your Asus should reboot
    I also posted this in a German forum and all users with the no access problem could recover their unit.

Also, Wlhdd will go in blinking led only if it find the network cable suitable. It must be a real 100 Mb network cable, attached to a 100 Mb mode network card. If the led is not blinking when pressing the on button, try another network card and cable.

Many thanks for the big response.
    I managed to restore firmware. After all, wl-hdd was allready in restore operation(blinking pwr led), and what I explained, pwr led goes off when trying to restore, was a good sign. But apparantly I did something wrong with the ip settings. Again put in fixed ip (192.168.1.50) and started firmware restore tool. (Couldn't ping wl-hhd though).
    That was it.
    Now running JockyW firm, and have to explore a new world.

Thanks!

my asus doesn't work

Hallo

I have a problem.
    I don't know what happened, but i can't access my asus

I tried everything, but nothing works
    it seems like restore button doesn't work

I try this
    Recovery!!:
    -----------
    3. ping 192.168.1.1 should reply else redo steps 1 and 2

Have you any idea?

Freme

Quote Originally Posted by freme
    Hallo

I have a problem.
    I don't know what happened, but i can't access my asus

I tried everything, but nothing works
    it seems like restore button doesn't work

I try this
    Recovery!!:
    -----------
    3. ping 192.168.1.1 should reply else redo steps 1 and 2

Have you any idea?

Freme
    so can you ping it or not?
    and does the power led flash or not?
    and did you connect a straight UTP cable to the WL-HDD ?

This morning, the power led is off.
    So I send it back

Thanks a lot

the powerled won't go flashing as long as you don't have a UTP (a right one) cable connected

thanks a lot

I have a Dreambox 7000S, and i thought that I saw everything.

But now I see that I have to read the ASUS forums all od the day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast