Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WL-500g Premium died After Upgrading Firmware

tronix, tnx for the log of a working device!!! I suspected it but your log now definitively confirms it: my network interface eth0 is no longer initialized properly!
    the line
    et0: Broadcom BCM47xx 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Controller 3.90.23.0
    is missing when my router initializes... this explains why a) I can not ping the router and b) I don't see any packets in wireshark.

Now I guess the only possible way to get it to work again would indeed by JTAG but since there are no visible jtag pin headers on the wl-500gp pcb I have no idea where to start ...

Type these lines in the cfe prompt:
    Code:
    nvram erase
    flash -offset=65536 flash0.os flash0.os

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
    Type these lines in the cfe prompt:
    Code:
    nvram erase
    flash -offset=65536 flash0.os flash0.os
    oleg, tnx for the input!! so far I have had no success, perhaps I didn't try it the right way... what I did:

1) Connect serial port to my USB-Serial 3.3v converter (which was used to receive the console output and should therefore work also in the other direction)
    2) Power on the bricked unit
    3) Enter "clear nvram" and "flash -offset=65536 flash0.os flash0.os" in the terminal program (I tried it a different times, e.g. directly after boot and later).

Still I see the endless loop of:
    ------------------------
    Reading :: TFTP Server.
    Failed.: Timeout occured
    ------------------------
    And no change in the state of the router. Later today I'll check if my TX connection is connected properly (just to make sure).

How exactly should the router react to the two commands?

Ghm... Just type Ctrl+C before entering commands (to get CFE prompt).

BTW, once cleared - you've to flash firmware using recovery tool or tftp (your router should init et0 and also should answer to ping).

oleg, thanks very much for the help! I could successfully enter the commands you posted and the router successfully completed the programming. Towards the end of the programming cycle the power led switched off.
    Unfortunately I could neither reach the router directly after programming nor after disconnecting the power supply for a moment ... the power LED is now off and no longer blinking.

the only thing my serial console dump shows is now:

-----------
    <0>
    -----------
    ... just these three caracters, no change, nothing more... any ideas?

It's a lot easier to just purchase a TTL<->RS232 shifter from sparkfun. It's only $10.
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=449

Just solder some wires from TX, RX, Gnd, and Vcc on the shifter to the corresponding points on the wl500gp. Works great for me. Your minicom settings are correct.

Also, I wouldn't mind taking a look at it if you want.

Hey there--
    Yes, if you are interested in looking in the Unit, I would be happy to ship it to you no charge.. and you can keep it when you're done as well!

PM me with your address...

take care
    Camden

Bricked?

Hi

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction?

I've tried to upgrade my firmware to Oleg's using the built-interface but my computer crashed whilst this was happening and since then I have not been able to access my router. The power led flash slowly and all the lan and wan ports seem to light fine. Pings and the Asus recovery disk tells me the router can not be found and the pin 9 trick does not put the router back into recovery mode ( btw I didnt realise that I had to put the router into recovery mode before I update firmware ).

Am thinking about soldering a serial pinout connection but not sure if this is worth it.. how could this help anyway?

Any ideas?

Wie.

I said i was dum not stupid

I do not think i will use the wl500 again, they just are not up to the job. As for giving them away i am not sure how much your time is worth but mine is worth a lot more than the cost of these things.

Lets just say in regard to wl500 I Have the tshiet, i live and learn and now move on!

Unhappy Bricked Asus wl-500g

ok i managed to do this by messing around DD-WRT firmware that was installed on the unit. i was tampering with routing tables and routing modes when the unit froze....i powered it off and back on, and that was it. AT FIRST, it would take forever to assign IP to my computer, but it would do it, no acces to web interface tho. now its completely dead, just LAN led goes on when you plug the cable in, thats about it. no telnet reply, no default IP ping reply, no last IP ping reply. in short - nothing.
    i cant force it into recovery mode, the power led doesnt start blinking, its just on. no wireless signal. tried shorting the pins on the flash memory - no success.
    I noticed theres a 20 pin jumper type connector on board so i was thinking if i can use that to hook a JTAG cable or something to it.
    out of those 20 pins, 2 are not connected to anything. (the 2 closest to the front end of the unit)
    can someone tell me what pin is what for the JTAG?? and the schematic for the cable please?
    i tried lookin on the net, but i cant find that matches my actual case.
    The unit processor is BCM4702KPB, the flash memory is 29LV320ATTC-90
    Thanks a lot

Why don't you ask DD-WRT guys?

The header you're talking about is for UART and it's described in the forum.

i posted there

i left the same post there but no replies either.
    I couldnt find any cable specs. i saw one of your posts somewhere giving a pin layout for this specific type of processor, but i have more pins so i cant quite figure out how to adapt the cable to it.
    if i'm not too much of a pain, could you just post the link here for that UART cable?

Quote Originally Posted by stormwolf View Post
    i cant force it into recovery mode, the power led doesnt start blinking, its just on. no wireless signal. tried shorting the pins on the flash memory - no success.
    I noticed theres a 20 pin jumper type connector on board so i was thinking if i can use that to hook a JTAG cable or something to it.
    out of those 20 pins, 2 are not connected to anything. (the 2 closest to the front end of the unit)
    can someone tell me what pin is what for the JTAG?? and the schematic for the cable please?
    I think i have the same problem with you.....the firmware damage..........
    Can't force in recovery mode and reset key not function
    I want to know how to diy a cable to fix this problem~
    Any one can help us~?
    THX~^^
    ^^

WL-500GP close to brick

When trying to test the newer version of the original ASUS firmware from Olegs latest, with TFTP, I found that my router could not exit recovery mode.
    I can send it any firmware (oleg, Asus, Nvram-reset...) with both TFTP or the ASUS recovery utility but too soon after that it responds to pings again with a TTL=100, so it remains in recovery mode, and it seems not capable of storing and booting the new firmwares it receives.
    Furthermore it still contains the latest IP I gave to it (192.168.0.2) in spite of the fact that I press the reset button for 20 seconds.

Any ideas?

TIA

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast