Thread: Upgrade internal hdd

Upgrade internal hdd

Hi all,

I have tried various searches on this topic, but not really hit anything 100% conclusive.

The situation - I have 250gb disk inside router and bought 750gb disk as replacement, hoping to copy across all the data and restart inside router. Of course, as we know (and i just found out) the partitioning on the internal disk is more compliacted by the 600gb service partition and the lack of real partition table.

So, my question is -

Is there an easy way to copy across all data from internal disk to external - and then just put 750gb disk back in router, pref with service partition, and ~700gb data partition? reading around, there doesnt appear to be.

If not, I gather I will have to put the new disk inside and reflash with firmware to build a new disk (assume with normal .nas image and windows tool). I am currently running kcfuge custom firmware (1.0.7.8)- can I just reflash with this or will i have to go back to asus firmware? Once the disk is rebuilt, can i plug in old disk via USB and copy across all my stuff - IE will it mount correctly via usb and its weird disk setup?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angrybob100 View Post
    Is there an easy way to copy across all data from internal disk to external - and then just put 750gb disk back in router, pref with service partition, and ~700gb data partition?
    Parted (http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/index.shtml), or Acronis software.
    Also you can make partition, mount, and copy with `cp -a` (cp -a /source /dest).
    Read Hard Disk Upgrade Mini How-To.

Well, in the end i bit the bullet -

I just put the disk in and reflshed the KC firmware, I was up and running within 2 mins. I then plugged in the old disk via usb, and proceeded to copy all my crap back over.

Sometimes the simplist solutions are the best - appears I was looking for something more complicated.