Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exploring WL500gP hardware expansion / interfacing possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by Inertial View Post
    If it was a real time clock, wouldn't it need a back-up battery? most probably yes.
    the routers don''t have any, they update the time from the internet remember

anyway, about what are you talking? about those pieces of metal with a white box left top?

Question UUP chip U12 - maybe JTAG?

So U12 is on several wl-models?? Hmmm... I think they are JTAG pads.

Anybody with some knowledge/testing ability of JTAG, can have/borrow a bricked wl500gP from me.

http://www.3iii.dk/wifi/asus.htm Please email me at wl500gp@3iii.dk
    Last edited by Omega; 10-06-2012 at 00:36. Reason: fixed

I have been looking with some interest through the threads on adding RS-232 support regarding the connection to built-in UART.
    What I'm looking for actually is not RS-232, but RS-485.

Why? For implementing DMX/RDM protocol for control of stage lighting units. Actually it has already been done by using USB-DMX controller such as Enttec OpenDMX.
    But to do it directly with built-in UART would be far simpler and cheaper.

I would like to connect RS-485 transciever, or ideally two RS-485 transceivers, if indeed both UARTs can be used simultaneously. Example would be SN75176B
    if unisolated, or actually I have some very nice fully isolated Maxim transceivers around too. This would make possible control of up to 1024 DMX channels.

Before I open up the case of the WL-500gP I wonder about the software aspects first though. Is it possible to set bit rate at 250kbps, 2 stop bits, no parity?
    How to control Tx/Rx mode for the transceiver? Any ideas on this?

I found this link to datasheet for VT6212L: http://wl500g.info/attachment.php?at...2&d=1209754575

http://down.chinaeda.cn/upload/2007_...1218477472.pdf Maybe some useful information in there.
    Last edited by Omega; 20-06-2012 at 11:08. Reason: fixed

Quote Originally Posted by snarfer View Post
    I found this link to datasheet for VT6212L:

http://down.chinaeda.cn/upload/2007_...1218477472.pdf

Maybe some useful information in there.
    nice
    but doesnt that just add nothing to what we already know, the chip has 4 usb ports...

Thumbs up wl500g premium v1 IR remote

Well, the least i can do is share my own hardware mod with you, since it’s the only way i see to actually give something back (i’ve learned a lot from you guys).

My goal was rather simple, namely to turn it into a media player, as many have also done, so that’s pretty straight-forward.. the two internal USB ports are used for a
    4GB flash drive and a cheap sound card, the soldering is as ugly (and flimsy, i’m afraid) as it gets, but so far it seems to work. What i wanted to add to it was a remote
    of some sort, to be able to control it having no noisy computer powered up (and ssh access via wlan from the cell phone sounds like overkill just to change the song).
    Having some experience with microcontrollers, i tied an SFH-5110 to an ATMega32, and the ATMega32 to the router via a serial connection (/dev/tts/1).

General configuration:

WL500G premium v1 running OpenWrt Kamikaze 7.09
    USB flash drive (just for storage)
    USB sound card
    mpd, mpc
    ird (more on that later)

Since i’m not a linux guru (actually i’m far from being one) the initial setup is being done as ugly as possible, namely my /etc/init.d/custom-user-startup contains the following lines:
    Code:
    mount /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt
    mpd
    ird &
    mpc load unu
    mpc random on
    mpc repeat on
    mpc volume -50
    The hardware part of the mod contains the microcontroller (powered by the 3.3V line, and clocked at 11.0592MHz.. i know i’m overdoing it, but it seems to handle it), the SFH-5110
    (needs 5V, and studying its datasheet revealed that adding a 43K resistor from its output to ground brings the output to a nice 3.25V) and an extra led just to fill that free slot in the case.

I also needed some piece of software to listen for the codes received via the serial interface on the router, and, filled with enthusiasm, i’ve downloaded the OpenWrt SDK.
    My enthusiasm quickly arrived at a grinding halt when i looked over the how to of the SDK (again, not being a linux guru helped a lot ) ).
    However, i just needed to compile one file, an that proved rather simple since the compiler in the SDK doesn’t seem that bothered by my lack of skill.
    So i quickly copied an example application from the web that would talk on the serial port and it worked.. hence ird and irtool.

irtool – prints the codes received (useful for key identification)
    ird – listens on the serial port and upon reception of a code (say.. 0xFF50AF – the ‘enter’ key on my remote) tries to execute /ir/s<CODE>.sh (/ir/sFF50AF.sh)

I placed these two in /usr/sbin (seemed like a good idea at the time) Afterwards, made scripts in /ir to do stuff like mpc next, mpc play..
    A side note.. The only remote control format this works with (in its current form) is NEC ( http://www.necel.com/en/faq/mi_com/__com_remo.html )

I know this post is rather sloppy, but if anyone wants any clarifications, i’d be glad to help out.
    I haven’t posted any schematics simply because i’ve never drawn one, but if it’s required, i’ll try to doodle one up.

Attached:
    - the router with acetone-cleaned “windows” for the IR sensor and extra led (hideous, i know)
    - router with remote on top
    - router, opened up
    - detailed view of the extra led and IR sensor
    - archive containing all sources

Name:  router.JPG
Views: 7648
Size:  144.2 KB
    Name:  router_remote.JPG
Views: 7660
Size:  162.2 KB
    Name:  opened.JPG
Views: 7762
Size:  396.5 KB
    Name:  led_ir_uc.JPG
Views: 7194
Size:  157.9 KB
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Omega; 20-06-2012 at 11:26. Reason: fixed

looks nice man...
    but do you watch video's with that or something?
    what is the purpose of it?
    after januari 2009 I open up my wl500w, then my warranty is gone

I like the idea of interfacing with a micro-controller. Of course I think for this application it might be easier just to plug in a USB infrared dongle. Maybe not so much fun though. The MCU on the serial port is a good idea. Could be used for many things, such as a user interface, controlling an LCD or touch screen, home automation projects, monitoring sensors, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by snarfer View Post
    I like the idea of interfacing with a micro-controller. Of course I think for this application it might be easier just to plug in a USB infrared dongle. Maybe not so much fun though. The MCU on the serial port is a good idea. Could be used for many things, such as a user interface, controlling an LCD or touch screen, home automation projects, monitoring sensors, etc...
    oh yeh, now I see
    maybe if you have like a network beamer, you can use it to control it via the router
    but I guess you also get a big IRQ when having something like that... does that stay stable?

U12 is 25LCxx EEPROM. BIOS on Eee-Pc placed in same chip.

Quote Originally Posted by LnrMn View Post
    U12 is 25LCxx EEPROM. BIOS on Eee-Pc placed in same chip.
    If U12 is there for an eeprom - could that eeprom be used for fail safe boot loader in case content of internal flash nearby is destroyed including the CFE boot loader?

Or is this completely out of question because the eeprom would have serial interface that is not(?) suitable for fail safe boot of the router to provide possibility to flash CFE into corrupted/empty internal flash?

Might such 25LCxx EEPROM help us in case the router is totally bricked as there are no messages on serial console on power up (power on led always off)?

Or maybe any kind of external interface to allow programming of internal flash if corrupted CFE?

Quote Originally Posted by j4nn View Post
    If U12 is there for an eeprom - could that eeprom be used for fail safe boot loader in case content of internal flash nearby is destroyed including the CFE boot loader?

Or is this completely out of question because the eeprom would have serial interface that is not(?) suitable for fail safe boot of the router to provide possibility to flash CFE into corrupted/empty internal flash?

Might such 25LCxx EEPROM help us in case the router is totally bricked as there are no messages on serial console on power up (power on led always off)?

Or maybe any kind of external interface to allow programming of internal flash if corrupted CFE?
    U have a problems with router? Describe them. May be I can help. Forget about the U12. It does not help
    Asus RT-AC66U, Xerox Phaser 3160B, on the shelf RT-N16 (Killed by lightning)
    WL-500gPv1 128MB, WL-500W 300MHz/128M, LCD 40x4, DIR-320 8Mb/64MB
    WL-700g 128MB, MNV25E2+ and more and more devices. provod.beeline.ru

-------------------------------------------
    Computers. Since 1984. First one - "ÌÈÐ-1"

Quote Originally Posted by LnrMn View Post
    U have a problems with router? Describe them. May be I can help. Forget about the U12. It does not help
    Well, I am afraid there is no help for the router - it's a piece from my brother, who played with it in a nasty (and not educated way).

He did some flashing, then he did not have some web interface (to flash another fw), got a 'great' idea from web to try pin9 trick with the asus wl-500gp v1 (did not ask me if that's safe) and the router is now dead.

I've connected a serial console (which works ok with my wl-500gp), but there are no messages going on after power up.
    I would guess that the boot loader (CFE) is corrupted in the internal flash.

Power on led would not turn on after power on, air led seems to be on half way. LEDs from switch ports react when you connect active utp cable.

It would be great if U12 could be used somehow to program or override the internal flash, otherwise I am afraid there is no help.

I would not like to desolder the flash chip, program it and solder it again - that's too complicated (I know how it was when I upgraded ram to 128MB of my router, had it dead for two weeks). Organizing a meeting to get access to hot air gun was not easy either...

Are you right use 9pin method?
    1. Short 9pin to gnd
    2. Power on
    3. Wait about 15-20 second
    4. unshort & power off
    When power on, router must be answer on 192.168.1.1

I have the same problem with WL-500G Premium. I can start it at all ....
    I tried with pinul9 and pin 16 and nothing. How can I return to life?

offtopic: i see on you signature "WL-500W 300MHz 128M 1.9.2.7-d-r1000, LCD 40x4" how do you atached LCD to your router?
    i will tray again this metod, bot i thing will not work for me
    Last edited by Omega; 10-06-2012 at 00:55. Reason: fixed

Quote Originally Posted by soulraven View Post
    I have the same problem with WL-500G Premium. I can start it at all ....
    I tried with pinul9 and pin 16 and nothing. How can I return to life?
    Hmmm..I do not know anything about 16pin Try to use my post above.

Look guys.. I have idea!! It have problem with capacitors.
    If your routers older then one year, you need to check power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by soulraven View Post
    offtopic: i see on you signature "WL-500W 300MHz 128M 1.9.2.7-d-r1000, LCD 40x4" how do you atached LCD to your router?
    i will tray again this metod, bot i thing will not work for me
    I wrote little program on PIC16F628 for LCD HD44780. Welcome to Russian discussion
    http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=141737&postcount=40
    Last edited by Omega; 10-06-2012 at 00:52. Reason: fixed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast