Thread: Router can't find my WD Passport

Router can't find my WD Passport

Hello,

I followed wengi's tutorial, installed oleg, etc. but when I plug in my 120GB WD passport (2.5" USB HDD, no external power), it seems that it immediately spins down to power saving mode or something (guessing from the blinking LED, that should be always on instead of blinking). Is it something I need to do to make it work or the router can't provide enough power for the HDD? if latter is the case, can it be solved?

Thanks.

powered USB Hub

get a powered USB Hub and you should be happy.

Hi,
    I use a Trekstor 2.5 inch DataStation pocket t.ub - 250 GB, which is also usb powered. I have this harddisk connected to both usb ports, using a y-cable. Perhaps you could try the same with your harddisk. My setup works great and reliable without external powersupply.
    Goodluck,
    Ecori

Powered usb hub solved it, thanks

Just to add to this - I am using a 160G Passport - with no powered usb hub and no problems.

I wonder what the difference is?

It has been very stable and it's great ( for the environment ) not to have another device to plug in.

I wonder does the USB slot matter e.g. the top or bottom?

I tried both slots, didn't work in either of them. I think newer wd passports have lower consumption, mine is more than one year old.

160GB Passport the same

I tried the 160GB Passport Essential (brand new), but got the same symptom: the router doesn't find it in either USB slot. Going to try with powered USB hub.

Looks like some asus routers can't provide quite enough power on the usb ports as mine has the same issue there. I either had use a Y cable, find a power adapter for the drive, or use a powered hub.
    WL500g Premium R1.14 with 128MB mod and serial port mod
    Oleg 1.9.2.7-10 - Lighttpd w/ PHP using eAccelerator - multi-user ready - dropbear secured setup