Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [HowTo] Setup MediaTomb (mediaserver) on WL-500gP and WL-500W

I have successfuly installed the mediatomb and have done every step described here. Unfortunately when I try to start the mediatomb, I get the "StorageException". The mediatomb is running (I can see the process using ps -A), but my PS3 does not see it. Does anybody have the same problem?
    Thanx.

I have the static running on mine, works great, except that i need a script where to place a link to start it up after reboot. Any one have any ideas?
    WL-500gp (Premium) v2
    transmission, dropbear, open-sftp, samba2, mediatomb(PS3), midnight commander

in your post-boot file put the following;

cd /opt/share/mediatomb <- or whatever your mediatomb directory is
    ./mediatomb.sh (make sure you update the mediatomb.sh file to include the -d option)

rathalian - Thanks very much for posting this information, it was a big help in the right direction. I tried to follow the directions today and wound up getting the 'zmm::Exception' error message. I did a little digging and found the problem was the config.xml that was using. I got past the problem by following these steps.

Code:
    ipkg install mediatomb
    mkdir /usr/local/root/.mediatomb
    cd /opt/share/mediatomb
    cat sqlite3.sql | sqlite3 mediatomb.db
    mv mediatomb.db /usr/local/root/.mediatomb/
    mediatomb
    Since there was no config.xml in place, mediatomb created a pretty good default. Here's the diff from my working(-) and failing(+) config.xml:
    - <udn>uuid:1d40049c-e8ee-43bc-81ed-18859eb25b1e</udn>
    - <home>/usr/local/root/.mediatomb</home>
    + <udn>uuid:207f02e4-943d-4982-946a-22db80475be8</udn>
    + <home>/opt/etc/mediatomb</home>

Problem is that with the ipkg package you have two problems:

- you WILL get that database error, requiring you manually recreate it via cat, and it's likely it will happen again
    - you WONT be able to autostart mediatomb when the router reboots (the -d command fails)

The static package includes it's own config.xml file etc...the ipkg package should be pulled from the optware list as it is problematic for our router.

This is my mediatomb.sh file:
    #!/bin/sh

# if you want to launch this script from a different directory (for example
    # from an another init script or similar, set the LAUNCHDIR variable below
    # to the absolute path of the mediatomb.sh script

LAUNCHDIR=`pwd`
    export MEDIATOMB_DATADIR="$LAUNCHDIR/usr/share/mediatomb"
    export MEDIATOMB_MAGIC_FILE="usr/share/file/magic"
    $LAUNCHDIR/usr/bin/mediatomb -m $LAUNCHDIR -f config -d

This is my post-mount file
    #! /bin/sh

/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung start
    cd /opt/share/mediatomb
    ./mediatomb.sh

Link to static build : http://downloads.sourceforge.net/med...ips32el.tar.gz

Hope this helps
    Last edited by rathalian; 23-03-2009 at 07:13.

I did a little testing and found that the startup script included with the ipkg distribution works fine if you:

1. Edit the file /opt/etc/mediatomb.conf to specify correct user, group and port.
    2. The ".mediatomb" directory exists in the user's home directory.
    3. The directory /opt/etc/mediatomb exists.
    4. The database is manually created in the /opt/etc/mediatomb directory

For me, the key was creating the empty .mediatomb directory in my home directory

Code:
    ipkg install mediatomb
    mkdir -p ~/.mediatomb
    mkdir -p /opt/etc/mediatomb
    cd /opt/share/mediatomb
    cat sqlite3.sql | sqlite3 mediatomb.db
    mv mediatomb.db /opt/etc/mediatomb/
    vi /opt/etc/mediatomb.conf  (I set user, group and port)
    vi /opt/etc/default/mediatomb and set enabled = true
    /opt/etc/init.d/S90mediatomb start
    tail /opt/var/log/mediatomb
    I was able to stream an avi to my PS3 last night so this setup seems to work, at least for me.

thanks for the tips, i'll give it a try

i'll let you know if it works or not
    WL-500gp (Premium) v2
    transmission, dropbear, open-sftp, samba2, mediatomb(PS3), midnight commander

I just have installed MediaTomb (ipkg install mediatomb), followed ignatz indications on post #21 and I got MediaTomb to work without any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ignatz View Post
    vi /opt/etc/mediatomb.conf (I set user, group and port)
    Changed user to admin. Now it works! Finally
    Last edited by dadoupy; 11-05-2009 at 11:39.
    Asus WL-500g.Premium with Oleg firmware version 1.9.2.7-10. dropbear - samba - lighttp - php - mysql - ftp - nzbget - transmission - mediatomb - syslog-ng

I installed Mediatomb as ingnatz suggested (thank you very much for this!!!). Mediatomb is running fine except of one thing that I want to solve:

All my added music is listed as "unknown" - i.e. all songs are shown as Artist - Unknown, Album - Unknown etc. Any ideas why this happens? ID3 tags should be fine (iTunes, my iPod and also my Nokia 5800XM all have no problems recognizing the tags).

@ignatz - I did all the steps you said, and edited the configuration file, decommenting the PS3 parts.

starting mediatomb gave me this info:

Code:
    [quentin@router root]$ tail /opt/var/log/mediatomb
    2009-10-25 20:00:57    INFO: Loading configuration from: /opt/etc/mediatomb/config.xml
    2009-10-25 20:00:57    INFO: Checking configuration...
    2009-10-25 20:00:57    INFO: Setting filesystem import charset to ASCII
    2009-10-25 20:00:57    INFO: Setting metadata import charset to ASCII
    2009-10-25 20:00:57    INFO: Setting playlist charset to ASCII
    2009-10-25 20:00:57    INFO: Configuration check succeeded.
    2009-10-25 20:00:58    INFO: Initialized port: 50500
    2009-10-25 20:00:58    INFO: Server bound to: WAN_IP
    2009-10-25 20:00:59    INFO: MediaTomb Web UI can be reached by following this link:
    2009-10-25 20:00:59    INFO: http://WAN_IP:50500/
    where WAN_IP is my WAN Ip not localhost ip of router, like 192.168.1.1

also, looks loke there are several processes of media tomb:

Code:
      282 ?        Ss     0:00 /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb -p 50500
      285 ?        S      0:00  \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb -p 5
      286 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      288 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      290 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      291 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      293 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      292 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      294 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      295 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      296 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      297 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      299 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      300 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
    BUT, i cannot see the media server on my PS3. My PS3 being connected wireless to the router. The config.xml is the one generated, not the one from the first post of this thread.

Do you have any idea, why i cannot see it ?

Are you able to connect to the MediaTomb UI via web browser (http://WAN_IP:50500)?

I am running PS3 - WL500gPV2 - Mediatomb (compiled v.0.12.0) without any problem.

Maki

Quote Originally Posted by simistef View Post
    @ignatz - I did all the steps you said, and edited the configuration file, decommenting the PS3 parts.

starting mediatomb gave me this info:

Code:
    [quentin@router root]$ tail /opt/var/log/mediatomb
    2009-10-25 20:00:57    INFO: Loading configuration from: /opt/etc/mediatomb/config.xml
    2009-10-25 20:00:57    INFO: Checking configuration...
    2009-10-25 20:00:57    INFO: Setting filesystem import charset to ASCII
    2009-10-25 20:00:57    INFO: Setting metadata import charset to ASCII
    2009-10-25 20:00:57    INFO: Setting playlist charset to ASCII
    2009-10-25 20:00:57    INFO: Configuration check succeeded.
    2009-10-25 20:00:58    INFO: Initialized port: 50500
    2009-10-25 20:00:58    INFO: Server bound to: WAN_IP
    2009-10-25 20:00:59    INFO: MediaTomb Web UI can be reached by following this link:
    2009-10-25 20:00:59    INFO: http://WAN_IP:50500/
    where WAN_IP is my WAN Ip not localhost ip of router, like 192.168.1.1

also, looks loke there are several processes of media tomb:

Code:
      282 ?        Ss     0:00 /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb -p 50500
      285 ?        S      0:00  \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb -p 5
      286 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      288 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      290 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      291 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      293 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      292 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      294 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      295 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      296 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      297 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      299 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
      300 ?        S      0:00      \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
    BUT, i cannot see the media server on my PS3. My PS3 being connected wireless to the router. The config.xml is the one generated, not the one from the first post of this thread.

Do you have any idea, why i cannot see it ?

Yes, i can see the web interface.

What "correct user, group and port." should be ?

Default are:

user -> root
    group -> root
    port -> 50500

i have changed only the user to "admin".

but is not working, i cannot see it on my PS3.

made it work !

just have to set the ip in mediatomb config file to 192.168.1.1 !

anyone experienced problems with the subtitles ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast