Thread: Connection problems with my WL-500g

Connection problems with my WL-500g

The last couple of weeks I tried to build up a wireless network, but untill now I've only encountered problems. This is my current setup:

(distance between the router and PC1 is about 13 meters)

In PC1 there currently is a Linksys card. This one replaced the WL-138G, which I brought back to the store, because I read a lot of problem stories with this card. But both cards didn't work. They were properly installed, also were able to get a connection, but after a minute the connection speed dropped to 1 or 2Mbps (see this screenshot). The same happened to a Dell laptop, which I connected to the network. Strangely the signal strength was good/excellent (see this screenshot). At this time I sometimes get a connection, but the connection is gone after a minute. Even when I put PC1 next to the router, a connection cannot be made.

So I think it's the WL-500g that is the problem. I've tried several settings (for example the channel 11 setting), but currently I use the basic settings.

Can anyone suggest me some other things, or do I have to get a new router?
    Last edited by vanDaal; 28-12-2004 at 20:48.

Your problems looks strange... Looks like some client is get associated to the AP which needs compatibility mode of some kind. Or switched to wds mode?
    Have you checked wireless status on the wl500g?
    Also, have you tried scanning wireless networks (using Netstumbler or whatever) near you to see their SSID, channels, etc?

The WL-500g is the only AP I use here. So it functions as a Home gateway (that is also the current operation mode): as a router for my cable modem, as an access point for two wired computers, and as an access point for one wireless computer. The first two functions are working properly, but the last one isn't.

Here is a screenshot of the current wireless status. Scanning wireless networks with the windows tool (screenshot) results in nothing, and the same counts for a scan with Network Stumbler (screenshot).

So indeed, the problems are very strange.

Please note, the windows indication of connection strength is not real time but updated only every minute or so. T

With bad connections you often see the signal fluctuating abruptly from very high to low a few times before it disappears.

The main problem for optimizing a wireless connection is the number of parameters you can change. Very close to your router may also problematic.

Perhaps you already tried all the things below, but in case you did'nt you may give it try. It worked for me with a WL-138G

1: Start closer to your router (half way, less concrete / metal inbetween), reset all setting for wireless to default.
    2: Once you are able to establish a stable connection start optimising(monitor signal strength in real time)
    3: First find the best channel (best STABLE signal, some gradual signal fluctuation is OK, but it should not change abruptly from very good to bad)
    4: Adjust the location of your router and the antenna direction to get a better signal (point straight to workstation to start with)
    5: Adjust the power setting to get a better signal
    6: Increase distance and repeat 2 - 5

if this does not work install other (older or newer) drivers for your WLAN card. Make sure you properly uninstall the old drivers!
    Brubber

WL-500g, WL-138g, WL-160g