Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with NTFS disk

NTFS Partition with Files +4gb

is anyone using here NTFS partition's with files bigger than 4gb or FAT/FAT32 or something similair

when i try to list the dir listing i get this:

# cd /mnt/usbfs/
    # ls
    ls: ./italianjob-nl.ISO: Value too large for defined data type
    DareDevil The-Eye
    System Volume Information
    #

in the ftp server this file isn't displayed either

is this a 'bug' in linux ? the kernel or something else? or just a limitation because i want to read off a NTFS partition ?

I think the reason is ntfs. The ability to read ntfs is very new to linux and support for writing on ntfs is not available yet, at least not in standard distribution. even some windows hard disk tools are not able to read/repair ntfs volumes.

Use Fat16, that will be working for sure. By the way, who has been using very large usb-volumes with the 500b/g? Does it make sense to put a file collection (Music etc.) for a small network on such a volume.

true, but my music collection is like 90gb large, i can't put this collection on my pc's or notebook because they don't have that much storage

so for me it makes sense, at least when there would be a NFSdaemon avaible so i can mount it as a network drive

and i know linux is not really able to write ntfs at this moment, but i was wondering if fat32/fat16 would have the same problems with images larger then 4gb

Sure, this was exactly what i was thinking about. My question was real interest, no mock up. Using a usb harddrive connected to the asus is much cheaper and costs less energy than putting a whole noisy pc up just to be able to access some mp3-files (ok, some more mp3-files maybe) on the harddisk.

I do not know if speed might be a problem if 2 or 3 users try to access the mp3-collection on the asus ftp-site.

Also ftp is not the ideal protocol for this kind of thing. Webdav would be much much better, as xp and mac os x can use webdav-volumes just like any volume. Linux/Apache supports webdav, but maybe this is too much to ask from a small device like a router.

At the moment, i can mount any ftp-server showing up like a regular disk in mac os x (i am not sure about windows xp), but i cannot write to it. And i think itunes does not work very well with ftp-volumes (though it might work if you mount the ftp-server before on the desktop).

Besides i have a problem using usb-printer and ftp-server at the same time with a hub. If i unplug the hub while the asus runs and plug it back in it works, but after some time it seems to stop working. No idea if this is due to the hub or the usb-stick or due to the asus firmware.

another question: Why use ntfs? It makes access not easier, it is just a different format, whereas ftp is a way to access a volume. And what does it have to do with nfs network volume access?

Originally posted by justwords
    Sure, this was exactly what i was thinking about. My question was real interest, no mock up. Using a usb harddrive connected to the asus is much cheaper and costs less energy than putting a whole noisy pc up just to be able to access some mp3-files (ok, some more mp3-files maybe) on the harddisk.

I do not know if speed might be a problem if 2 or 3 users try to access the mp3-collection on the asus ftp-site.

Also ftp is not the ideal protocol for this kind of thing. Webdav would be much much better, as xp and mac os x can use webdav-volumes just like any volume. Linux/Apache supports webdav, but maybe this is too much to ask from a small device like a router.

At the moment, i can mount any ftp-server showing up like a regular disk in mac os x (i am not sure about windows xp), but i cannot write to it. And i think itunes does not work very well with ftp-volumes (though it might work if you mount the ftp-server before on the desktop).

Besides i have a problem using usb-printer and ftp-server at the same time with a hub. If i unplug the hub while the asus runs and plug it back in it works, but after some time it seems to stop working. No idea if this is due to the hub or the usb-stick or due to the asus firmware.
    about the usb hub, is it external powered? if i plug in the external power it stops functioning -normal- but start function unreliable, this becomes very clear when you would hookup a webcam, the view gets distorted then or stops

self-powered and has a very short cable (meant for notebooks). I will have to try the webcam.

I encouter the same problem with usb stick and lpt- printer if i reset and take the stick out and replug works evrything just fine. but after a while printer and usb stik stick stop working when i reset printer will work usb stick not. i use the newest firmware

Angry Why can't I write file to FTP with NTFS?

Hello guys,

I heave read that manual and I would like to ask you why is it impossible to write data at FTP NTFS disc.....?

Is there a solution (using special firmware?).

Why everything cool is available only with Linux-like firmware? I don't like command line stuff.

Asus WL500g is fine, but I am pissed off at them because of these "details".

Well, you might be pissed, but the answer is plain and simple.

Linux does not, yet, have an fully functional and fully tested NTFS driver for reading AND writing. There are good drivers for writing but not for writing. This is mainly because Microsoft has chosen not to reveal the inner workings of the NTFS filesystem, therefore the Linux community needs to reverse engineer it which costs lots of time. So please be mad at MS but not at Asus, or the Linux community.

Quote Originally Posted by COOLIO_comes
    ... I don't like command line stuff.
    Asus WL500g is fine, but I am pissed off at them because of these "details".
    Maybe you should have bought a M$ router! or something else that isn't running linux.
    You don't like "command line stuff" ? buy DLink... they are expensive, closed source, full of buggs and useless!

"...Why everything cool is available only with Linux-like firmware..."
    hummm... hard question... I wonder why!?!? ....
    Last edited by gwl; 14-01-2005 at 21:51.
    [ WL-500G | fw: 1.9.2.7-7f ]

It surely takes time to analyze NTFS, when Microsoft is so secretive, but what about timing? Does anybody here know when will be that implementation ready?

Quote Originally Posted by COOLIO_comes
    It surely takes time to analyze NTFS, when Microsoft is so secretive, but what about timing? Does anybody here know when will be that implementation ready?
    uh.. let's say it like this.. they are busy for years already

switch to fat32 or ext3 if needed

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

could write on ntfs

i have a wl500g deluxe and a HDDrive 2 GO from medion. I installed oleg firmware 1.9.2.7-7c and activated Samba using dropbear. everything worked
    fine on this NTFS disk i could even write to it and FTP was working well.

Then my harddisk died and got a new one from Medion. It is the same as i had. i connected it to my router and now i can read it but i can't write to it any more.

i didn't change anything on my router (i just connected the drive plugin in the cables).

Can somebody help solve this problem. (PS would like to keep NTFS)

firmware + NTFS?

Hello:
    I have a router WL-500gP with firmware asus 1.9.7.0
    My router only finds my HD in FAT32
    Me alone I can discharge files of 2 GB with the "Download Master"
    Does some solution exist for me to be able to discharge bigger files?
    Do I have to change firmware?
    I need help, please
    I don't speak very well English, my excuses
    Thanks to all

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast