Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problem with NTFS disk

How to share NTFS partition with read/write attribute ?

I have an Asus W500GPv2 with PB Store&Play 500G. I have one swap partition, one EXT2 and one NTFS. How can i share the NTFS partition to be able to copy from EXT2 to NTFS partition , because it says the NTFS partition have read only attribute. I try with samba and from putty.

Hi,

you can not write to NTFS partitions, only read.
    for write you'll need FAT or EXT partitions.

Question - NTFS

I tried connecting a backup drive to my router via usb. It recognized the hard drive, but it said i could not use upnp because the hard drive was formatted as ntfs. Also, it will not allow me to set read or write permissions to the drive. I would be fine with reformatting, but I wondered if there is either a different firmware i should use or whether there is another way to get my drive to work with the router (accessing files wirelessly)?

thanks

hi,

some more info would be fine:
    firmware? version?
    if olegs newest: try "ipkg install ntfsprogs"

wengi
    Übersicht aller HowTos --- HowTo Overview (mostly german)
    WL-HDD mit diesem Setup. --- WL-HDD with this setup.
    Kein Support per PM - Frage im jeweiligen Thread! --- No support via pm - ask in the according thread!
    Eine wirklich gute Idee erkennt man daran, dass ihre Verwirklichung von vorne herein ausgeschlossen erscheint. (Albert Einstein)

if you are ready to reformat your hdd to ext3, I suggest to attach the disk to a windows PC, remove ntfs partition using built-in disk manager and then create partition and format it on the router

Write support for NTFS or HFS+ file system ?

Is tere any chance to have write support for NTFS or HFS+ file system ?

Lightbulb

well, now i see the same messages in my dmesg...

and i think i know the reason why - i chose 32k cluster size for formatting ntfs partition under windows (coz i planned to store mainly large files)

so probably latest Oleg's firmware understands only 512 cluster size

IS it possible to change (increase) the kernel's max blocksize up to 32k, OR it's gonna be too complex and hard to do - and i'd better just decrease the cluster size to 512?

many thanks in advance
    wl-500gp v2 + tor + polipo + áàðàõëî âñÿêîå íà python

Uhm... well...
    I believe the beta firmware has some bug fixes for NTFS or will have it in the future...
    Anyway, you can recompile the firmware or download the beta firmware here: http://code.google.com/p/wl500g/

the instructions on how to compile are also on there.
    I would recommend ubuntu (install "build-essential" for compiling)
    and reconfigure the kernel... but that might be tricky yes

I don't think that the block size 512 supported in the firmware might be considered as a bug. It's just one of the possible options available with NTFS

So I guess the supported block size must be defined somewhere in the source files.

wpte, are you aware where exactly the NTFS block size is defined in the source files ? It would be good to have such a hint from your side...
    wl-500gp v2 + tor + polipo + áàðàõëî âñÿêîå íà python

Quote Originally Posted by the View Post
    I don't think that the block size 512 supported in the firmware might be considered as a bug. It's just one of the possible options available with NTFS

So I guess the supported block size must be defined somewhere in the source files.

wpte, are you aware where exactly the NTFS block size is defined in the source files ? It would be good to have such a hint from your side...
    I'm not aware where they are, I'm not even sure they are actually
    There are just so many options you can configure in the kernel, it's just mindblowing (10minutes of choosing options and your still not finished)
    anyway, you can still wait till the back-ported version of a newer ntfs module is ready in the beta firmware

Red face Read/Write permissions

To RAAS:

The original firmware does support "READ" from NTFS partition -- I never upgraded to Oleg's soft
    But thanks a lot for your tip about "WRITE" permissions with FAT32...of course....I have spent a number of hours trying to write to my NTFS system on Asus

how to deny mounting ntfs partition

ok, solved.
    Last edited by gouryella; 04-11-2009 at 21:46.

Hi all, about format with ext3, i have a 500GB WD HDD with all stuff on it(samba,cron, transmission,..). I buy a new 1 TB HDD but i'm not manage to format with router. When i try to mke2fs -j,after i fdisk it, i receive a message like partiton is mounted .. what seems to be the problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

@swordfish
    This is a double post. Please see
    http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=191065&postcount=834

Your fstab is wrong.

wengi
    Übersicht aller HowTos --- HowTo Overview (mostly german)
    WL-HDD mit diesem Setup. --- WL-HDD with this setup.
    Kein Support per PM - Frage im jeweiligen Thread! --- No support via pm - ask in the according thread!
    Eine wirklich gute Idee erkennt man daran, dass ihre Verwirklichung von vorne herein ausgeschlossen erscheint. (Albert Einstein)

Write enable NTFS partition

There was an old thread on this but I'm looking for any recent updates that enable NTFS R/W fw1.9.2.7-d-2381 /Opt on 4G usb disk

NTFS-3G looks good but cant work out how to get it to work on WL500.

The drive connects to router fine but automounts as RO.
    can umount and mount as ntfs manually but only as ro.

I have installed ntfs-3g 2009.4.4-1 using ipkg but it asks for Fuse-lib, Installed fuselib from http://code.google.com/p/wl500g/sour...svn2639&r=2639.

I note that there is a 2010 version of ntfs-3g available on googlecode but not as an ipkg update.

attemping to mount drive produces error.
    [admin@Asus_Study root]$ ntfs-3g /dev/discs/disc1/part1 /tmp/mnt/disc1_1
    modprobe: chdir(2.4.37.10): No such file or directory
    ntfs-3g-mount: fuse device is missing, try 'modprobe fuse' as root
    [admin@Asus_Study root]$ modprobe fuse
    modprobe: chdir(2.4.37.10): No such file or directory
    [admin@Asus_Study root]$

so am at the limit of my linux ability.... any other ideas ?
    WL500gPv2 -- fw Oleg 1.9.2.7-d-r2381

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123