Thread: New Oleg firmware 1.9.2.7-9 problems?

Post New Oleg firmware 1.9.2.7-9 problems?

I guess this part is about the most active part of the forums (the WL-500gP).
    I have a WL500W tough, but they are almoast the same, only the wireless chipset.

Anyway, I tried out the new firmware and found some good things and mostly BAD things It's not that I don't like what Oleg does, I actually admire his job

I just wanted to make a note of the good things and bad things, ofcourse this topic is also for you to communicate and say what you think about it, if it might have been my mistake or it should be fixed in a way. I mean... without people that use software, the developer(s) don't know what the people want.

Good things:
    - The New FTP server. I never could work with the build in ftp on the 1.9.2.7-8 version for some reason, I defenately missed this option and never brought it back via IPKG (because I just failed every time). It's very good made, more options, but still 1 thing I miss in it, the shared nodes, just like samba and the original asus firmware. Somehow this is just a bit more handy if you want to use a special ftp account for managing your website files by example.
    But still... I love the improvement

- Maybe it's just me, but I think my router boots faster with the update firmware

- host name support in the manual ip assing menu. Now I can use host names on my pc much easier.

Bad things:
    - WPA-Auto-Personal. I don't really get these new names I mean, these are not common used names, right? And, again (yes I know I mentioned it to you oleg) I had troubles with this setting, the auto setting. Before I used the newer firmware I used WPA2-PSK AES. As far as I know this means you can use both WPA2 and WPA. When I use the auto, I didn't have any troubles at first sight, yeh, everything was working properly with WPA2. Till my sister came around and shouted at me her internet didn't work (she was pretty angry with me... but whatev). I looked at her pc and found out that her WPA only wireless card with zero configuration from windows detected this network as a certificate protected network
    I changed it to WPA-Personal, and her laptop worked, except... everything else didn't have any internet anymore
    Sorry to say it, but I'm not really into changing all the wireless device settings (quite a lot of devices) when I install a new firmware..

-The build in USB disk detection. I don't have a good word about it to be honest... I deactivated it and used my manual usb disk mod as written in the great how to of wengi. When I first rebooted, I saw several mountpoints extra to the system on the same partition. I know the problem and got it fixed in my post-boot file, but it came back on different points. Also I noticed that like half of my movies and music files are gone!
    I don't know how it happened, but I turned the old firmware on again, and fixed the disk, and luckely... I got them back

this are pretty much my experiences with the new firmware.
    I all did this upgrading in this procedure:
    1. factory defaults
    2. upgrade firmware
    3. factory defaults
    4. enter new settings manually

I made a backup though of the files on the flash memory and settings. I copied the files (for loading in my usb disk etc.) on the new firmware.

So... just wondering, what do you guys think, what are your experiences etc.

or download the last firmware here:
    http://oleg.wl500g.info/

Upgrade both my 500gP as my WLHDD. Works great! Even Transmission runs smooth on both, no problems connecting WPA2. The WLHDD seems to be faster (needed this one badly...). And even lets the Fonera connect as AP, using WPA2. So, after 4 hours testing: IMPRESSIVE!!!!

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EdSki View Post
    Upgrade both my 500gP as my WLHDD. Works great! Even Transmission runs smooth on both, no problems connecting WPA2. The WLHDD seems to be faster (needed this one badly...). And even lets the Fonera connect as AP, using WPA2. So, after 4 hours testing: IMPRESSIVE!!!!

Ed
    and how did you used the hdd?
    the build in harddrive mod or the mod via post-boot file?

Cos I lost about... 500 files or something, and I think that's scary
    I could place them back with the FSCK command.

What wireless mode do you use? WPA-Auto-Personal? are you able to connect via WPA on that mode? (not wpa2)
    thnx

This thread is used for discussion: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=13495

In short: this firmware version was checked for about 3 months in the Russian forum and it works fine here. No file problems, etc.

As for problems with your files: if you've usb powered hdd (no dedicated power supply), then you will end up with corrupted files due to hardware problems. Running e2fsck is recomended anyway - filesystem corruption may occure due to hard reboots, etc.

As for WiFi - the wifi is now managed in the same way as newer asus firmwares. WPA-Auto-Personal acts just like it's desribed in the release notes. If you want WPA+WPA2 at the same time, then set encryption to TKIP+AES.

Save your config/settings (flashfs) before upgrading. After upgrading upload your saved flashfs file and you're back online. Even on my USB powered HD.
    Same story goes for the WLHDD, the Fonera connects through WPA2 as he gets recognized as a client(Fonera has FreeWlan firmware)!

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
    This thread is used for discussion: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=13495

In short: this firmware version was checked for about 3 months in the Russian forum and it works fine here. No file problems, etc.

As for problems with your files: if you've usb powered hdd (no dedicated power supply), then you will end up with corrupted files due to hardware problems. Running e2fsck is recomended anyway - filesystem corruption may occure due to hard reboots, etc.

As for WiFi - the wifi is now managed in the same way as newer asus firmwares. WPA-Auto-Personal acts just like it's desribed in the release notes. If you want WPA+WPA2 at the same time, then set encryption to TKIP+AES.
    hmm... ok I will try that setting for wifi then.
    But still the question rises.. TKIP and AES... will it use this config then: WPA2 AES and WPA TKIP?

For my harddrive, I use a HDD with a powersupply, if you don't plug it in, it just doesnt work.
    I never had files dissapearing or anything like it, I also didn't do any hard resets.
    what do you recommend oleg? the setting for usb hdd in the web-menu? or this setting in the post boot:

insmod scsi_mod && insmod sd_mod && insmod usb-storage
    I pretty much use this harddrive 1TB as backup device so... that's why I don't wanna loose any files. But I just want the newer firmware for the new FTP server

thanks for the reply

Save your config/settings (flashfs) before upgrading. After upgrading upload your saved flashfs file and you're back online. Even on my USB powered HD.
    Same story goes for the WLHDD, the Fonera connects through WPA2 as he gets recognized as a client(Fonera has FreeWlan firmware)!

Ed
    So you use both the hdd mod and the automatic mounting thingy in the web-admin?
    Last edited by wpte; 25-03-2008 at 18:39.

Wpte:

Followed this tutorial by Moody Bleu: http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=5909&page=3

And it's working like it used to be!

Ed

Wpte:

Followed this tutorial by Moody Bleu: http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=5909&page=3

And it's working like it used to be!

Ed
    thanks but I know how it works..
    I already got a webserver with php, mysql and a complete mailserver working on my box. And you can login to the mailserver via a php program called the horde project. (still working on the how-to for others)

Anyway, what I ment was if you used the automatic harddrive mount function in the web-admin. you can find it in services. Or do you use a code in the post-boot file?
    or do you use both?
    I turned the service off and used the code in the post-boot.

Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    I turned the service off and used the code in the post-boot.
    Me too!

Ed

Me too!

Ed
    very nice
    it's working now, no lost files atm.
    I discovered that when I uploaded my flashfs settings from the previous firmware, somehow, something strange happened...
    so I made a new one

got 2 new problems tough:
    ftp server with super user login. I see 2 folders when I do that: disc0_2 and disc0_3.
    When I open those nothing is in it. so I probably need to allow the router to mount on /tmp/mnt/disc0_2 and /tmp/mnt/disc0_3 too?
    so in that case I get double mounts...
    can that give any problems?
    The other folders are redirected to /mnt/FTP/
    and that is working properly

somehow... the log inside the web-admin seems to be broken or something... I cleared it once, but even after a reboot it stays cleared

i just did a fresh install of everything then I bumped into this

[admin@Asus root]$ nano
    nano: can't load library 'libgcc_s.so.1'

now am lost :P

Try:

ipkg update
    ipkg upgrade

Ed