Thread: Using Wl700gE to sync folders via FTP

Using Wl700gE to sync folders via FTP

OK, this might be more generic linux question, but since you guys are the only Linux bunch that I hang out with...

Here it goes. I need to sync files between Wl700gE and another FTP site. What I hope to achieve is that when files change locally on WL700gE, it sends them via FTP to this other server.

I couln't find FTP client on our box, but found wput on ipkg, so that one could solve the sending part.

Now I'd need something to monitor this one folder for changes and then lounch wput (or ftp or something)

I have found MONIT on ipkg, but I'm not sure it's too big or complex for such simple task (monit - 4.10.1-1 - monit is a utility for managing and monitoring, processes, files, directories and devices on a UNIX system. monit conducts auto
    )

Do you know of any such functionality on WL's Linux? Or any other solution to my problem?

Thanx,
    Dalibor

Uh, that would be a cool feature, you could make backup documents etc. to some "web-backup" service

Maybe it is possible to create some kind of shell script, that would compare sizes of the files, and if the size have changed since last check, the file would be uploaded. Sadly i am no Linux geek, so i have no idea if that is possible, but i am crossing my fingers ;-)

Maybe rsync?

Hi,

I'm in no way a Linux geek. But I consider myself to be a Linux user for about 7 years. To backup my own pc I use rsnapshot, that relies on rsync, to backup any changes in the directories I feed it. The source is my pc in this scenario, the target can be any (remote) (file)system. For instance, I used to backup to an external drive, but nowadays I do it to the Asus via NFS.
    But, having said that, it is rather slooooow. And I still want to figure out how to change that. One of the possibilities should be to use rsync on the Asus in stead of or in combination with rsync on the pc. But I still have to sort that out.

Meanwhile, maybe you could have a look at it. You can install it with ipkg install rsync. It certainly is capable of doing the syncing part.

Regards,
    Marc