Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Palantir - Streaming Video on WL-500g

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Found it - http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/
    Hope somebody owning pwc will try compiling and using this
    I havent been able to compile this one. I don't know how to change the makefile as it is a kernel module. I'm sure it will be a piece of cake for kernel hackers.

Basicaly, the FPS change will not work most of the time because of some segmentation fault. This is something happeniing also when not cross compiling.

So our best option is to get a new PWC driver. It can be PWC ver 9, as we can still find it on the original website, or the ver 10 that you headed up, Oleg.

As an added bonus for version 10, we can specify fps by insmoding pwc. So we don't need to make change in the palantir source code.

I took the openWRT way and compiled the last nemosoft pwc and pwcx.
    The new version 10, which does not rely on a binary part, may become interesing in the future.

The binaries I compiled are:
    - setpwc (setting parameters of the Webcam (also pan and tilt))
    - mvc (small movement detection)
    - camsrv (also a streaming server with a java applet client, similar to palantir but no audio)
    - pwc 9, pwcx 9

If you want to try the binaries you can extract it from the package i prepared for openwrt. That's possible in two ways:
    1. use my customized openwrt firmware
    2. extract it from the package

For 1.:
    Install my Firmware (you loose the webinterface, so you should be familiar with openWrt!!)
    http://tom.stoeveken.com/programme/p...nwrt-linux.trx
    then telnet or ssh into the router:
    # ipkg install http://tom.stoeveken.com/programme/p...0.1_mipsel.ipk

For 2.:
    - download the package http://tom.stoeveken.com/programme/p...0.1_mipsel.ipk
    - append the .tgz extension
    - extract data.tar.gz from this package, it contains the binaries and applets

On request I'll put the modified source somewhere.
    Last edited by Tom; 27-12-2004 at 13:37.

Your version of pwc and pwcx did the trick . I have now 320x240 picture, at a lower framerate, but still working. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hugo
    I changed the line 209 in video.c and replaced 30 by 5. After making it, I can run palantir succesfully and get one picture, but then I get a segmentation fault. Did you experience the same behaviour on your source, or did you make some modifications to make it work?
    Hmm, did just that and a minimal typo in the error output.
    The Stream Works and has never made a segfault, but it sometimes hangs up the picture transmission while still thinking it runs, when i do some fast pagereloads on the direkt stream.
    Overall, it works quite stable and i had no trouble on x86 with it, but not extensively tested.

Does had sound worked ?

Greets
    My Stuff: WL-500g, Mapower H31x 10GB HD, Philips Webcam Vesta PRO, TerraTec Webcam PRO, USB Hub

nope, the server is very stable, now with the pwc ver 9 drivers, but I could never get a sound, even if I have a vista pro.

I don't even get a /dev/dsp or anything that could be producing some sound. Do you have something more than me? I've seen in you config the reference to the /dev/dsp?

ything that could be producing some sound. Do you have something more than me? I've seen in you config the reference to the /dev/dsp?
    Code:
    ## AudioCaptureDevice: audio device to capture from.
    ## Default is /dev/dsp.
    #
    AudioCaptureDevice /dev/sound/dsp
    The Dev Filesys is someway other organised

Code:
    usbaudio: registered dsp 14,3
    usbaudio: constructing mixer for Terminal 3 type 0x0101
    usbaudio: warning: found 1 of 0 logical channels.
    usbaudio: assuming the channel found is the master channel (got a Philips Camera?). Should be fine.
    usbaudio: registered mixer 14,0
    I Get this and some lines before with my vesta pro. no extra drivers are installed.

Greets
    My Stuff: WL-500g, Mapower H31x 10GB HD, Philips Webcam Vesta PRO, TerraTec Webcam PRO, USB Hub

nope, I don't have any sound device installed. Maybe your's is not really working and th'ats why you don't get anything?

Got the latest firmware, and yes, I have a sound device. But I do get it even without plugging a camera. So I guess it is not related. I don't get any new devices after plugging it.

EDIT: This sound device is probably comming from the new usb sound device from latest asus firmware.
    Last edited by hugo; 02-01-2005 at 20:55.

Hi

The Audio is definitely working.
    You can do a "cat /dev/sound/dsp" and then do some loud sounds. The Patterns alternate regularly and synchron to the sound.
    If you Plug in the vesta after full bootup and do dmesg you should get many lines saying something about sound channel configuration.

Greets

Thumbs up A good work, WlanMan, thanks! :-)

I have just tested Palantir with my Creative Labs WebCam III (OV511 chipset, no audio). It seems to be working fine at 320x240 (~3 fps) and 640x480 (~0.75 fps). Tested on WL-500g FW 1.7.5.9-3 booted from USB key. 160x120 mode is unusable (working at ~11fps but a corrupted picture).

Talking Audio is Working (partialy)

Hi Folks

Audio input with the Philips Vesta Pro is realy working, it was as simple as raising volume up from zero .
    Sadly, GSM coding is too much for 80 Mips, i got a 3sec audio slice every 10 seconds or so. Try it out, im very interrested if it works on other users too.

This is Smixer 1.0.4
    I deleted all but the Mic setting in the conf, you can add others in the same manner if your sound devices supports them (Like output on a speaker) just use the name shown with the -p switch instead of mic. Range is from 0 to 100.

Decompress with "tar -xvzf smixer-mipsel.tgz" on the USB Disk or in /tmp, and run it with "./smixer -f smixer.conf".
    Current settings can be printed with "./smixer -p".

Got the latest firmware, and yes, I have a sound device. But I do get it even without plugging a camera. So I guess it is not related. I don't get any new devices after plugging it.
    Hi, i think now i understand you (long time, heh If you mean the files under /dev, this is normal thy get created at boot time. You have to look into dmesg output to see if your cam´s microphone is recognised.

Greets
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by WlanMan; 18-01-2005 at 22:08.

I think the main "problem" is the jpg compresion takes too many cycles,as there is no FPU.

I made some tests last night and tried to connect 2 cameras (run palantir twice with different config files) and what happens is that the camera that gets to run first takes all the "juice" and it is almost impossible to connect to the second camera,even if the first is stopped (no client).
    The first camera gets like 3-5 fps (depending on size) and the other nothing which is kind of strange...

I have two Creative Labs cams (different chipset ov511 and ov516) and when i have tested them on a similar configuration on a (slow - 400 Mhz PII) pc they worked ok (both cams got some fps)

Any ideas ?

BTW could someone post the patches they used to get palantir compiled ?

Palantir doesn't need a patch to compile. Just use the proper CC and LDFLAGS to get the configure script running

Is there someone that have pwcx or newer pwc for 320x240 resolution?

Thanks a lot

Siegfried

Quote Originally Posted by smarechal
    Is there someone that have pwcx or newer pwc for 320x240 resolution?

Thanks a lot

Siegfried
    Did you read the whole thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    For 2.:
    - download the package http://tom.stoeveken.com/programme/p...0.1_mipsel.ipk
    - append the .tgz extension
    - extract data.tar.gz from this package, it contains the binaries and applets

On request I'll put the modified source somewhere.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast