Thread: Asus recogizes error and wil replace routers with 62KOhm R17 resistor

Thumbs up Asus recogizes error and wil replace routers with 62KOhm R17 resistor

Good news. After reading here about the apparent error of Asus by putting in the wrong resistor at position R17 I contacted Asus Netherlands and explained what I understood of it. They were very understanding and knew of the existence of these forums. They are even happy with them as a source of information :). The guy I had contact with checked the problem internally and today emailed me the following: (translation)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    We have confirmed that this problem exists in units manufactured before juli 2007. These units can be returned to where they were bought, from there they will be replaced or repaired by an Asus service center. Feel free to let other people in the forum know they can ask their questions about this here:

http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.
    (I think this should be just http://vip.asus.com/ )

I would like to compliment the forum users. However, despite the correctness of the instructions given(*), any guarantee will be void after soldering yourself.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    (*) Talking about this thread: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=13321

Alternative firmware doesn't seem to be a problem concerning the guarantee in this case.

Credits for Asus. Good luck and enjoy!
    Last edited by Sjoerd-WL500gP; 19-03-2008 at 15:54.

Nice action from Asus, but i wonder how many people would
    actually return the unit. It usually takes a couple of weeks or more before you get a replacement unit.

It would be nice if asus would just send a replacement wireless pci card instead with instruction how to replace it.

Edit:
    This i what i got back from ASUS support:
    'For repair you have to go to your reseller.'

I guess i'll have to heat up my solder iron...
    Last edited by avberk; 20-03-2008 at 12:29.

wow... you actually got something back from the asus help desk (yeh me dutch too).
    I tried several months to get into their silly brains and explain I had a serious problem (hardware part) and they just said like: ah just turn the option off.
    CRAZY!

anyway, this might be the new WL-500gP v2?
    http://asus.com/products.aspx?l1=12&...12&modelmenu=1
    it has some different features and a antenna on the other side... guess it's just a different one, but I know this one is just released.
    I came accross it while doing some updates at my work (big internet computer store (yes no commercials))
    anyway, this is good progress, and just bring it back to the store, they will handle it.
    The warranty is as far as I know always via the stores, so it must be easy

What exactly does the wrong resistor mean in this case? Worse reception, lower speeds on wireless? I haven't used wireless on my router yet, but I might have to use it soon if/when I move to a bigger place. How much of an issue is it?
    My box says it's Made in China, June 2007.

Hi,

yes it affects reception (on router side) and therefore possibly lower speeds on wireless connections. See above mentioned thread to get some hint about status of your box.

unfortunately I can't find anything about it on asus-nl website and hesitate to send my box without knowing for sure...

schufti

Quote Originally Posted by schufti View Post
    Hi,

yes it affects reception (on router side) and therefore possibly lower speeds on wireless connections. See above mentioned thread to get some hint about status of your box.

unfortunately I can't find anything about it on asus-nl website and hesitate to send my box without knowing for sure...

schufti
    I tought that most shops first test or look if it's the specific router that should have the problems.
    Otherwise just ask to the people working there first

Hi wpte,

not with the general ignorant, grumpy and greedy shop owner who denies knowing about problems with this model and not willing to check with his wholesale dealer... only interested in selling you a new unit ...

schufti

Do I need the hardware mod ?

Hello all,

Don't know if this is the right place to post but..

My Asus serial number starts with 77 => July 2007.

The Asus official communicate stated that the problem existed for units manufactured before July 2007 => my unit needs the mod or not ?
    I'm not very sure if it gets on the good side

Thanks,
    Mihai

Quote Originally Posted by schufti View Post
    Hi wpte,

not with the general ignorant, grumpy and greedy shop owner who denies knowing about problems with this model and not willing to check with his wholesale dealer... only interested in selling you a new unit ...

schufti
    I work at a computer store in the netherlands, one of the bests according to costumers.
    If you tell us that there is a problem with it and give us an official statement of asus we directly set up a RMA for you. Otherwise we''ll contact asus for an official statement.
    I know there are bad shops wich don''t really care about costumers, actually... one of them are our neighbours

anyway @ skyraven:
    it says BEFORE july, so july is not counted in according to math
    if you want to be sure you should ask the asus helpdesk

Hello,

I would like to bump this thread since I need the help of the thread starter. Could anybody post the URL/Link to any announcement or email or circular of ASUS about this matter? I am from Asia and I am trying to have my router fixed (unfortunately, the chip is not available in my country and it is still under warranty).

Tech Support Asia of Asus is giving me the usual BS to check on the line of site, firmware, disturbances, etc.

I have not found any official announcement but I contacted Asus via a technical enquire informing them about my serial number and the problem. They reply asking me to send my unit for reparation. When I sent the unit to the place I bought it from I attached the email I got from Asus to avoid the dealer coming back to me with unqualified comments.
    Last edited by Tamadite; 29-10-2008 at 20:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamadite View Post
    I have not found any official announcement but I contacted Asus via a technical enquire informing them about my serial number and the problem. They reply asking me to send my unit for reparation. When I sent the unit to the place I bought it from I attached the email I got from Asus to avoid the dealer coming back to me with unqualified comments.
    Hello Tamadite!

How long did it take for them to reply? Can you post the contents of the email here? Asus Asia is still in denial of the problem.

Well,

I sent the technical enquire on 2008-04-18 (Friday) and they replied it on 2008-04-21 (Monday). Here you go my enquire:

==================
    I have detected Wi-Fi low level performance on my WL-500gP router when I roam with my laptop in my apartment. While searching for reasons in Internet I found a forum (wl500g.info) stating an assembling failure on all units manufactured before July 2007. According to the serial number of my unit (SN: 76XXXXXXX) it was assembled during June 2007. When running "wl noise" I get a value of -96dB. Do I need to send my unit for reparation? I can't find information on this problem on Asus site. Has this problem been published?

==========

Dear Valued Asus Customer

You can contact your dealer, refer to the information on wl500g.info and request a repair service.

Best Regards
    Asus TMSS Support
    ==================

Good luck!

Is the -96dB an indicator of a problem? I get similar values as well (around -95dB to -90dB) when I use the wl noise command. Could my unit be defective?

It actually starts with a 78 (so I guess this means August '07). Besides that, I think I read the noise incorrectly, because I checked it again today and the wl noise returns a -81 value (I don't know if that's ok or if it should be higher anyway).
    Last edited by Omega; 24-08-2015 at 14:13. Reason: fixed

Quote Originally Posted by nfh View Post
    Is the -96dB an indicator of a problem? I get similar values as well (around -95dB to -90dB) when I use the wl noise command. Could my unit be defective?
    well, if your serial number starts with 76
    it might be