Thread: How to restore deleted files on WL700 internal disk ?

Question How to restore deleted files on WL700 internal disk ?

Unfortunate some files are deleted from the internal HDD in the router. The úndelete'/restore tools I found on the internet were not able to detect the disk.
    Even not when the tool indicated it had network-support.
    Also linking the disk (the disk is ok and still visible within the network) to a logical drive name did not solve the problem.
    Most tools assume you have a physical connection with the disk either USB or internal bus within the computer. The disk in the router is ofcourse connected to the processor and it's internal bus.

Does anybody know if I can solve the problem (undelete a file) from a windows PC ? Or should I look more closely into a potential LINUX solution ?
    My Linux/Unix knowhow is a little rusty, so I don't know how to handle thsi type of problems with UNIX.

I had a mirror disk connected to the router. However decoupling this disk from the router and connecting to the PC resulted into a disk not recognized by Windows-Vista. propsably the partitions can not be read by MS-Vista.
    Is it possible to read the mirro disk from a Windows PC ?

Thank for any hint or help !

To see the files:

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=10198

Regards,
    Marc

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
    To see the files:

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=10198

Regards,
    Marc
    Hi Marc,

Thanks for the reply.
    To be honost , I was hoping for a simpler solution because the router is still fully operational and accessable. Can this recipe be executed over the wired/wireless network ? Or os thsi not possible due to the fact that the drive can not be accessed directly ?

No easy windows solution ?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by donald1 View Post
    Hi Marc,

Thanks for the reply.
    To be honost , I was hoping for a simpler solution because the router is still fully operational and accessable. Can this recipe be executed over the wired/wireless network ? Or os thsi not possible due to the fact that the drive can not be accessed directly ?

No easy windows solution ?

Thanks.
    Hi, I'm sorry there is no easy way to restore deleted files from a ReiserFS partition, as far as I know. If you google for it, you might find some kernel-based solutions. That means, you must run a proper Linux computer (ok, a windows virtual solution is alright), then buy this kernel-based solution, and try to recover the lost files.
    You must be quite desperate to try this, don't you?
    Just trying my Open sesame solution would not lead to undelete, I'm afraid.

Regards,
    Marc
    Last edited by mumsoft; 25-03-2008 at 09:43.

Hi, I'm sorry there is no easy way to restore deleted files from a ReiserFS partition, as far as I know. If you google for it, you might find some kernel-based solutions. That means, you must run a proper Linux computer (ok, a windows virtual solution is alright), then buy this kernel-based solution, and try to recover the lost files.
    You must be quite despaired to try this, don't you?
    Just trying my Open sesame solution would not lead to undelete, I'm afraid.

Regards,
    Marc

Thanks for the reply.
    Some pictures were stored in the directory which is lost, a bit unfortunate.

So also the mirror drive (I had one connected) will have the same partition and format....? And the same problem. I'm just wondering now how much the value of a mirror is compared to a regular normal backup ?

Best regards,

Donald

Lightbulb Mirror <> Backup

A mirror is useful if you want to go on immediately after a hardware failure of your primairy drive. It is not a backup.

Regards,
    Marc

Hi Marc,

I agree completely. Thanks !

Recovering deleted files on an external drive

You can try this program "recover my files" it works from your computer/laptop and scans your asus external drive for deleted files.

Just install the program and set the application to search in the file folder where you lost the files and it will search for any deleted files and then recover them.

I deleted some mp3's by accident and tried a few other programs but this was the easiest to use as it recognised the wl700ge folder instantaniously and was thorough with the files recovered.

No guarantees though and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by minimaxa View Post
    You can try this program "recover my files" it works from your computer/laptop and scans your asus external drive for deleted files.

No guarantees though and good luck!
    Maybe you could give a link?
    But if it is this: http://www.recovermyfiles.com/
    I'm afraid it will do nothing for reiserfs formatted drives as a mirror is.

Regards,
    Marc
    Last edited by mumsoft; 21-03-2008 at 09:02.

mumsoft

yes i see what you are saying.

There are some programs where you can log on the external drive remotely although they are not for reiserfs (that i can find anyway).

Would be good if asus or someone else could provide a utility which makes it easy to retrieve deleted files for the reiserfs format on an external hd?

Does anyone know of a program that you can install in the asus external drive and then retrieve deleted files which is in the reiserfs format or complete remotely? Is this possible?

Maybe you could give a link?
    But if it is this: http://www.recovermyfiles.com/
    I'm afraid it will do nothing for reiserfs formatted drives as a mirror is.

Regards,
    Marc
    I agree because I already tried the program.
    Indeed no luck.

Maybe photorec?

Quote Originally Posted by donald1 View Post
    I agree because I already tried the program.
    Indeed no luck.
    I just use Linux & nothing else. Now I searched in Yast (Open Suse 10.3) for undelete and found...
    Code:
    photorec - Tool to Check and Undelete Images and Partitions

This package contains two recovery/ forensic tools: 
    TestDisk checks and recovers deleted partitions. It understands all common filesystem formats. 
    PhotoRec is a file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents and archives from hard disks and CD Rom and lost pictures (Photo Recovery) from digital camera memory. PhotoRec ignores the filesystem and goes after the underlying data, so it works even if your media's filesystem is severely damaged or reformatted.
    So, I were you, I took out the disk from the Asus, applied Open Sesame, installed photorec for windows (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download), and on we go. No money involved.
    Just tried ipkg install photorec - nu luck. Same for testdisk.

But there is also this: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Livecd

Regards,
    Marc
    Last edited by mumsoft; 25-03-2008 at 11:34. Reason: Livecd, windows