Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [HowTo] GPRS/3G/HSDPA/UMTS USB modem Huawei E220 on Asus router

Quote Originally Posted by newbiefan View Post
    Why should I know all possible applications and their dependance on each other including their behavior when using any usb device?
    As this firmware is for asus devices (from Oleg) you can use many usb-devices and the related howto.
    Sorry, I'm not god!

Well, as scripting is always done for a particular solution of a problem, it's very hard to guess your problems. So it means, you have to specify a particular problem and then maybe I or somebody else can help you.

Further, I'm not able to teach you scripting, it would simply take too long.
    All what I can do is to try to answer for a posted, particular question.

Therefore I'm awaiting your question or a description of your problem.

have fun....
    Thanks.
    I don't have any specific problem.
    I would love to read HOWTO one way ( see HOWTO by wengi)
    telling me step by step instructions
    how to set up webcam working ( what cam - link to eBay not to chip code name)
    how to set up standard usb bluetooth working (discovery mode)
    how to get bt gps unit connected to bt dongle
    how to get usb cell modem working
    just step by step HOWTO
    (look at wengis as an excellent example).

This is one time job, a number of options is limited, number of hardware is limited, so for a knowing man it takes one day to have all such hardware
    connected and working.
    Otherwise, the same work, job is done by hundreds and hundreds do the same job in hundreds days in total.

Just write one HOWTO for your modem.
    Step by step to let me follow
    and buy such modem on my own and have it working onwe day.
    Linux is not Vista's selfconfiguration PnP .

thanks
    Darius

Sorry, I don't write anything, just when I want.
    Further, after 146 posts you should know a bit, how it works with that FW (Olegs/Koppel).
    Almost everything is already done - hence you have to use all the other howto. This Howto is a guideline to install this FW from Koppel, nothing else. You can use wengis howto or any other, they all will work fine with this fw as it is Olegs with some addons.
    So what do you expect?
    All what you have to do is to search and read, thats all!
    And if something is not clear, just ask.
    Alle HowTo's, all howto's

RT-N16 1.9.2.7-rtn-r3121, Samba, VSFTP, Lightthpd, PHP, Perl, MySQL, Serendipity, Aria2web, HDD 640GB
    RT-N66U, 16GB MicroSD/ 2 Partitions, 2,5" HDD 1TB, running with Merlin's FW and Entware, 16 Mbit A1,
    Netgear DGND 3700V2, QNAP TS119PII 4 TB, QNAP TS209 2 TB Raid1, Backup Synology DS107+ 1 TB, HP CP1515n

Sorry, I don't write anything, just when I want.
    Further, after 146 posts you should know a bit, how it works with that FW (Olegs/Koppel).
    Almost everything is already done - hence you have to use all the other howto. This Howto is a guideline to install this FW from Koppel, nothing else. You can use wengis howto or any other, they all will work fine with this fw as it is Olegs with some addons.
    So what do you expect?
    All what you have to do is to search and read, thats all!
    And if something is not clear, just ask.
    Thanks.
    It works how it works
    hard job.

Once again.
    I don't have problem, don't expect anything.
    Just asked what is a chance to have such HOWTO one day.
    Olegs + usb cell modem/ bluetooth dongle / or gps/ or ..
    Linux is very very comlicated with hundreds, thousands of options to set for any new piece of hardware.
    You are fully aware that selfconfiguration doesn't work with Olegs , so
    only a knowing man can say how to make it working.

For the same reason I am looking for wireless tools to be ported by someone's else ( wifi discovery mode and the like).
    If you are aware how to start , just tell me one day

Darius

Tried hard for a month
    and a small success with Motorola V3 as GPRS usb modem.

Darius

Quote Originally Posted by darius View Post
    Tried hard for a month
    and a small success with Motorola V3 as GPRS usb modem.

Darius
    Funny, what means small success?
    Why you'll not try just a supported modem?

RT-N16 1.9.2.7-rtn-r3121, Samba, VSFTP, Lightthpd, PHP, Perl, MySQL, Serendipity, Aria2web, HDD 640GB
    RT-N66U, 16GB MicroSD/ 2 Partitions, 2,5" HDD 1TB, running with Merlin's FW and Entware, 16 Mbit A1,
    Netgear DGND 3700V2, QNAP TS119PII 4 TB, QNAP TS209 2 TB Raid1, Backup Synology DS107+ 1 TB, HP CP1515n

Firmware update issue

First of all, thank you very much for this how-to, it worked with my E220 Huawei modem and Asus WL-500gP v2 (I'm in Portugal and my ISP is Kanguru).

The only problem I had was when I tried to upgrade the firmware I got an "Invalid firmware" message (original firmware was version 2.0.15, or similar). I upgraded to the latest Asus firmware (3.0.xx) and then it allowed me to do the upgrade with the firmware from koppel.cz.

Just a heads up for anyone having the same problem.

Well i can now confirm that this guide works extremly well with a wl-500gP and a huawei E180 3g modem

So thx alot for this

//M

So every few hours i seem to loose connection due to lost usb connection - ive seen the other post about the router being able to reconnect, but it dosnt seem to do it by itself

And tbh i dont really understand anything about making the router reconnect by using a script - are there anybody who could guide med a little more on that so that if the connection are lost it would automatically reconnect (My girlfriend are often home alone and she wont know what to do if the connection are lost ^^)

//M

Hi,

I am using an E160 and finding that it is trying to reconnect but is failing because even though the router might die, the actual modem keeps its connection going. So have a look at /tmp/chat.log and see if ppp is actually trying to reconnect and failing as opposed to not connecting at all.

Anthony.

Quote Originally Posted by Malks View Post
    Hi,

I am using an E160 and finding that it is trying to reconnect but is failing because even though the router might die, the actual modem keeps its connection going. So have a look at /tmp/chat.log and see if ppp is actually trying to reconnect and failing as opposed to not connecting at all.

Anthony.
    Oh oki - ill do that when i get back home - but i think it might be the case as the modem light keeps being lit as if the connection hasnt been terminated...

Do you by any change have a solution that works if that is the case for me aswell?

//M

The only way I can get it all to reconnect at the moment is to pull the E160 out of the USB slot and replug it... everything picks up automatically then. I asked on the koppel.cz forum about it and the reply was to write my own USB serial driver Do you know of any other command to disconnect the modem? An AT command or anything like that? Disabling the usb serial support?

Anthony.

Quote Originally Posted by Malks View Post
    The only way I can get it all to reconnect at the moment is to pull the E160 out of the USB slot and replug it... everything picks up automatically then. I asked on the koppel.cz forum about it and the reply was to write my own USB serial driver Do you know of any other command to disconnect the modem? An AT command or anything like that? Disabling the usb serial support?

Anthony.
    Nop im totally new to scripting - however i would assume that there would be a command that kills the power to the usb plug(s)... So if thats true it should be able (With the right amount of scripting skills) to call a "kill usb power and repowers it" if the connection is lost for more than five seconds - however i lack the linux and scripting skill sto do so

//M

Quote Originally Posted by m.klinge View Post
    Nop im totally new to scripting - however i would assume that there would be a command that kills the power to the usb plug(s)... So if thats true it should be able (With the right amount of scripting skills) to call a "kill usb power and repowers it" if the connection is lost for more than five seconds - however i lack the linux and scripting skill sto do so

//M
    Hmm. I don't think the script would be too hard but I don't know what the commands are that kill power to USB or I'd try it from the command line. Any ideas?

Well, let's solve it......
    What exactly is the modem doing after
    -startup
    -when online
    -which koppel FW
    -is there any other device connected to usb?
    -after connection is lost: wait at least 5 minutes - do you get the connection again?
    -when connection is lost: can you post the output of 'top'
    -is any other sw installed?

how do you recognize, that "connection is lost"?
    When connection is lost, can you post the result of a 'cat /etc/resolv.conf'?

Well, let's solve it......
    -startup
    -when online
    -which koppel FW
    -is there any other device connected to usb?
    -after connection is lost: wait at least 5 minutes - do you get the connection again?
    -when connection is lost: can you post the output of 'top'
    -is any other sw installed?

how do you recognize, that "connection is lost"?
    When connection is lost, can you post the result of a 'cat /etc/resolv.conf'?
    I will be very happy if you have the time to help me out

However im quite short on time for the next few days - but here what i know right now:

-startup - Light blinks a few times and then catches umts net and are up and running within a minut, both if the router and all has been turned off or if i just plug it in. Everything works.
    -when online Light say on (Blue if umts and green if edge)
    -which koppel FW The one from your first post, i havnt used your Huawei file (Didnt think i need it)
    -is there any other device connected to usb? Nop.
    -after connection is lost: wait at least 5 minutes - do you get the connection again? Not a change ive had my computer turned on to download a few files all night however when it looses connection it dont reconnect. The light of the 3g modem stays on as if everything is ok, however im unable to connect to the internet. A reboot of the computer dosnt help, but unplug/plug the modem and everything works like a charm again.
    -when connection is lost: can you post the output of 'top' Hmm what do you mean by that?
    -is any other sw installed? Nop only flashed the one linked in your first post

Hopefully this helps - i will try to keep my connection up untill if disconnect again to see if i can get a log file or something for you

//M

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast