Thread: Complete webserver+ftp installation

Complete webserver+ftp installation

Hello all,

Yesterday I bought the Asus WL-500g router. Now I want to install a webserver on it with support for PHP. Also I would like to have a more advanced version of the FTP-server with more user/permission settings etc. Last but not least I'm wondering if it is possible to mount my USB-stick (the FTP disk) as a drive under Windows?

I'm not familiar with compiling, telnetting etc. Is there some firmware upgrade available that does the job?

No complete solutions available.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    No complete solutions available.
    Any other solution with seperate packages? (and a manual )

yes, custom firmware or openwrt.

Could you please be more specific. I don't have any knowledge about all these different firmwares, and I don't want to f*ck my router.

Thanx!

You don't need to f*ck your router, I don't think it would please the router at all....

A new firmware will not f*ck up your router. Perhaps the firmware upgrading process will but ONLY if you do it wrongly. See here for a howto.

You can try firmware Firmware v.1.9.2.7 CR1 [Oleg] which will give you total control over your router (through telnet, USB HDD boot and Flashfs features). Or you try openwrt which has a PHP webserver package available, but is more difficult to setup AFAIK.

For both options you will have to search this forum and internet alot and read, read, read and try. What you want will not be available in a Plug-and-Play way...

Bedankt voor je antwoord . Well I have installed Oleg's firmware. No I want to mount my USB stick as a network drive. How can I do this? And how about a webserver under his firmware? What storage can be used for this webserver? Else I use apache.

I suggest you do some searching and reading in your manual for this question

You are not helping me with this. Everything I see is new for new. The only thing I can manage at this moment is a firmware upgrade. At this moment I'm not able to install things myself on the router; because I don't know how things work exactly.

Yeah, but I would have to work 96 hours a day if I would type everything out for everyone who wants to know something about something. I'm not going to spell everything out for you. The best way for you to learn is to read and try. All your questions have been answered before in posts and topics on this forum and in the WIKI pages.

Thats why I told you to do a search on the forum and read, read, read....