Thread: How to exchange hard-disk easiest?

How to exchange hard-disk easiest?

Hi,

my WL-HDD has a build-in harddisk of 60GB size, which was enough for backups etc., but now I want to use it as a upnp media server, so a larger one is needed.

Since I have installed quite a lot of add-ons and made some configuration changes, I wanted to know if anyone has an idea how to exchange the harddisk and keep all the files etc.?

What happens when I just add the new harddrive? Will the firmware still be intact etc.? Can I then just copy over all the files from the old harddisk and all the services etc. will remain as they are?

I tried the serach already, but it didn't come up with something I could use. If there is already a how-to, please excuse, any help (or link) would be highly appreciated!

CU!

F.

Make an exact image from the old HD, restore it on the new HD. Should work.

Ed

Hm, since I put in a much bigger harddisk (160 GB now, 60 GB before), an image would result in wasting the added capacity.

It was indeed much simpler, the system boots even without a harddisk, I could log into the wl-hdd via telnet, partition and format the new harddisk (explained in the wiki), but keeping the same numbers of partitions and order as before.
    Now I hooked up the old harddisk via USB, mounted it to /tmp/harddisk and copied all files to the new (old) mountpoint /opt.

Of course this takes ages through USB 1.1, so I only copied the most important files first, to get the ssh (or samba) server going and copied the rest via (W)LAN using scp or samba.

I hope this helps someone else,

Frederik.