Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firmware restoration

Firmware restoration

To whom who is playing with custom firmwares. I've wriiten the script to recover the wl500g right from the linux - so there is no need to use windows firmware restoration tool. tftp needed for this to work. Currently it's available at http://jaffar.cs.msu.su/wl500g/recover.sh
    Regards,
    Oleg.

Thumbs up Very nice...

Thanks, Oleg. A nice work, as usual! I was planning to discover how the restoration works - you saved my time.
    FYI we (some persons from CZFREE.net forum) are working on web configurator update - the web pages are going to be stored on USB flash disk for easy debugging. The Client mode should be added to Mode configuration page.
    I am also looking for internal expansion connector to be able to connect a serial port to the system bus. If somebody know how to get it, please let me know...

Re: Very nice...

Originally posted by Technik
    Thanks, Oleg. A nice work, as usual! I was planning to discover how the restoration works - you saved my time.
    FYI we (some persons from CZFREE.net forum) are working on web configurator update - the web pages are going to be stored on USB flash disk for easy debugging. The Client mode should be added to Mode configuration page.
    I am also looking for internal expansion connector to be able to connect a serial port to the system bus. If somebody know how to get it, please let me know...
    moehhaha web shit rulez:

my personal chupa g-way, also note the username thing (actually working, and some other function turned on which were already present in the wl500g)

Hmmm... And what about the Client mode?

Hmmm... And what about the Client mode?
    hehehe

wireless client you mean? to associate with another AccessPoint ?

Re: Very nice...

The "diagnostic" connector is just the connector to the external UART. There is nothing related to the serial port on the board itself (except for address decoding).
    The only thing which can be used on the board is the second USB port.

Re: Re: Very nice...

Originally posted by Oleg
    The "diagnostic" connector is just the connector to the external UART. There is nothing related to the serial port on the board itself (except for address decoding).
    The only thing which can be used on the board is the second USB port.
    I know, Oleg. It's necessary to connect some UART and MAX232. I know how to do it (similar to Linksys WRT-54G) but the connector is a must (what a pity it's not the same type as in WRT-54G is).

Originally posted by Antiloop
    hehehe

wireless client you mean? to associate with another AccessPoint ?
    Exactly. :-) I made a script which connects you to other AP but the aim is to put that option directly to web configurator. :-)

Exactly. :-) I made a script which connects you to other AP but the aim is to put that option directly to web configurator. :-)
    Yeah, i will be working on customized web page for managed this - i try it, but i have some problem with my USB flash disk, so i order a new one - when it arrives a look on it and i hope i create some page for this feature

Today i will try the new customized firmware

try me,, pass me the script

and tell me what should be changeable
    Last edited by Antiloop; 25-02-2004 at 14:08.

Originally posted by Antiloop
    try me,, pass me the script

and tell me what should be changeable
    Well, the original one is here: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103

This is a modified version for latest Oleg's firmware (not tested yet):

#!/bin/sh
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

/sbin/ifconfig eth2 A.B.C.D netmask E.F.G.H # <--- should be changeable
    # udhcpc -i eth2 -s /bin/true # <--- optional (should be selectable if DHCP will be used or not)

wl ap 0
    wl scan
    wl scanresults # <--- should be displayed
    wl join 'WLNetwork.ID' # <--- should be changeable
    wl assoc # <--- should be checked if the association was successful and possibly repeat

route add default gw I.J.K.L eth2 # <--- should be changeable

iptables -t nat -P POSTROUTING DROP
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth2 -j MASQUERADE

Please check this page for a small inspiration: http://support.dlink.com/techtool/DW.../adv_mode.html

Good luck and thanks for your effort! If you could share your web config afterwards, it would be nice.

Guys, you will need to alter several init script in order to make the client mode works. The change should be setting the existing WAN variable to eth2 (after that most of the existing code should work - i.e. dhcp, pptp, ppoe and so on), and replacing hardcoded references to eth2 to something like WLAN and setting it to eth1. In this case firewall stuff are also will work and you will when able to bridge the eth1 to LAN ports or use DMZ for this port. It's the simplest way of modifying the existing code.
    Also, I'm thinking of an ability to place rootfs to the USB partition and give the R/W access to it. So, you can change the things on the fly. I'm now thinking of fs type - it should be either minix or umsdos - have not tried this yet.

A good advice, Oleg - thanks. I was thinging about web config change to hide most config pages in Client mode as the settings is replaced with the Client activation script. Your solution is much better. It would be really nice if you could put the rootfs to USB partition for development purposes...

A good advice, Oleg - thanks. I was thinging about web config change to hide most config pages in Client mode as the settings is replaced with the Client activation script. Your solution is much better. It would be really nice if you could put the rootfs to USB partition for development purposes...
    in my opinion it's best to add the function to use WLAN CLIENT MODE as a WAN connection, i don't know if you still want to use the WANport to connect to a cablemodem ? i assume not

The WAN port could be used in another way as well - not only for cable modem connection. But it's not important for me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast