Thread: DNS resolver problem

DNS resolver problem

Hi everybody,

I have a problem, when i have an original firmware everything works fine for me, nut when i load oleg's firmware the newest ( 1.9.2.7-8 ) sometimes work fine but sometimes (for example after 5 minutes that works everything ok) windows can not find DNS server (i have 2 comps on router XP, Vista) and no one computer can resolve anyone adress (but when i connect on ip adress is work fine). I dont know why, because have no reason ...

as i wrote, i upgrade it to olegs, 5 minutes works fine and after 5 min (i don't change anything) stop working DNS (on booth computers) ... in router setting is get DNS automaticly and in router is still ip adress of DNS ... i call my ISP and he says that no mistake about him.

thank you for any response (and sorry for my english)

Get DNS automatically?? That doesn't exist. DNS on router
    is only for the router itself.

The wl500gp has a dhcp server. Maybe your internet router has dhcp as well?
    If that is the case you could get ip conflicts.

Try to set fixed IP adresses for both pc's and fill in DNS as well.

Thumbs down

i have add a screenshots ... :

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8639/12262605rz8.jpg

btw sometimes when i clicked on links from asus admin, in the iframe firefox wrote me:
    Code:
    Connection Interrupted

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading. 

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again
    it's with official firmware and with oleg's as well ...

Hi,

Ok, from the image you've posted I 'read' that your asus has a correct gateway.. it can lookup google in putty. (so it get's outside of your network).

Now, on your pc you cannot get outside your network because it tries to resolve an ip-adres from the name on the asus.. As the asus doesn't have a dns service it cannot resolve the ip for the address you requested.

Right?

If above is right, I think you have a problem with the ip-settings on your computer, not your asus (which is able to get outside).

How do you have setup your asus? (Access point only, or router?)

I think that you've manually edit your pc's ip-configuration and enter the ip address of the asus as your gateway, the DNS's can still be the same.

(you have to tell you're pc on which ip-route it can 'get-out' and contact a DNS in order to resolve an ip-address of the domainname you've requested)

HTH

Question Logs:

When DNS go down in the log was be:

Code:
    Mar 10 19:10:31 syslog: failed to bind listening socket: Address already in use
    Mar 10 19:10:31 syslog: FAILED to start up
    Mar 10 19:10:36 syslog: failed to bind listening socket: Address already in use
    Mar 10 19:10:36 syslog: FAILED to start up
    Mar 10 19:10:41 dnsmasq[69]: nameserver 83.240.%.%%% refused to do a recursive query
    Pls anybody where i do mistake? i don't do anything ... and DNS deamon go down :/.

btw doeas anybody know, why when i clicked on some target in the asus menu, firefox wrote me:

Code:
    Connection Interrupted

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.
    in the IE is very similar ...

to raas:
    Ok, from the image you've posted I 'read' that your asus has a correct gateway.. it can lookup google in putty. (so it get's outside of your network).

Now, on your pc you cannot get outside your network because it tries to resolve an ip-adres from the name on the asus.. As the asus doesn't have a dns service it cannot resolve the ip for the address you requested.
    right!

ve is right, I think you have a problem with the ip-settings on your computer, not your asus (which is able to get outside).
    at the top - is the problem with router ...

How do you have setup your asus? (Access point only, or router?)
    just basic config - Home Gateway
    Last edited by lukasik; 10-03-2008 at 18:28.

normal dns forwarder and also dhcp server in the Oleg's fw is dnsmasq

If we guess that this message:
    Mar 10 19:10:31 syslog: failed to bind listening socket: Address already in use
    comes from dnsmasq, because some other service already provides dns function, then try to identify what is it.

Do the following:
    PHP Code:
    ipkg install net-tools
    /opt/bin/netstat -apn grep LISTEN 
    Check what is sitting on port 53 (it's dns). If necessary resolve pid with ps

Second guess: is it impossible that on some of the computers in your lan accidentally runs dhcp server?

solution

ok i have a sollution ...

because ISP give me autommaticly 6 DNS adress, but only two adress is ok (and can response for TLD wich is not in isp site, or in cache) and the router is luckyli asking one of the dns adress (not only firt two, but all of dns servers witch is in the list) and if dns server cant find answer, back response:
    "nameserver 83.240.%.%%% refused to do a recursive query" the problem is also write on official page od DNSmasq:
    Code:
    Q: Dnsmasq sometimes logs "nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx refused
       to do a recursive query" and DNS stops working. What's going on?

A: Probably the nameserver is an authoritative nameserver for a
       particular domain, but is not configured to answer general DNS
       queries for an arbitrary domain. It is not suitable for use by
       dnsmasq as an upstream server and should be removed from the
       configuration. Note that if you have more than one upstream
       nameserver configured dnsmasq will load-balance across them and
       it may be some time before dnsmasq gets around to using a 
       particular nameserver. This means that a particular configuration
       may work for sometime with a broken upstream nameserver
       configuration.
    and the sollution is: just don't get dns server automaticly and set manual DNS servers ... everything works fine for me!