Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Increase the sensitivity of Asus WL-500gP Hardware mod.

dflorin69
    You was read topic carelessly! Condenser C93&C94 and R17 mods are mutually exclusive! Moreover, condenser mod "overwrites" R17 mod.

And since you asks "what to do to improve the noise value ?", I apologize that you totally don't understand what you will give by such mod. Please, reread discussion carefully.

P.S. You cannot measure true R17 value onboard without desoldering - there were other resistors shunt it.

I am interested in replacing the mini PCI card as I'm not too confident with a soldering iron. Does anyone know if the revision of the BCM94318MPG card matters?

Well I bought a BCM94218MPG from Ebay for all of Ј4 and it's made the connection on my WL-500gp far more stable. Before I would sometimes have to search for the router two or three times before I could get a connection, and if let on overnight it would drop. Now it's connecting first time, and last night it didn't drop once!
    Last edited by polygrindle; 10-04-2008 at 08:42.

Done it on my 2 WL500Gp routers

For anyone interrested i've done the R17 mod 2x this evening. I don't have any soldering experience on this size components. I have however soldered one SMD component once before.

Anyone going to try this be aware you DO need very high precision. If in doubt test on a broken piece of hardware like an old mobile phone. I was shitting my pants while doing this mod.

I bought 10x 62ohm resistors ... they only sell per 10 and cost me (for the 10) 1,50 in euro's. They gave me 11 by accident ;-).

First I opened up one of my routers to find the board inside to be way smaller than expected. The SMD components are 10x bigger than what I found inside. Anyway I had already $%^%% the warranty so I continued.
    I unsoldered the R17 resistor which took a while to get out. Soldered the SMD resistor diagonaly away from the other contact and used wire to connect the other side.

My first router didn't seem to get away from -98dB however reception already seemed better so I went on to #2.

Doing my second router I found the -98dB had dropped to -85dB which made me rethink the first attempt.

I redid the first and at some moment my router seemed borked. It did receive but my laptop and other router could not see it. After some tinkering it worked again. I think it was some plastic residue in the slot.
    Now my recetion is -85dB :-]

However I do have unstable WDS which needs looking into. Stops after a few minutes of service. This is a whole other problem since WDS initially never wanted to work.

Now that they are working and I'm sending this post to illustrate my thankfulness.

Thank you for inventing this mod!!!!!!

Why replace

Why replace? Ohm's law...
    You may add 67 Ohm rezistor over the 67K rezistor.

R = (R1* R2) / (R1 + R2)
    R = (67K * 67) / (67K + 67)
    R = 4489000 / 67067
    R = 66.9 ohm
    RT-N13u dd-wrt | Toshiba 2.5" 160GB | pxe boot server

Is this hardware mod useful for all modes (router, bridge, AP, client) or only for receiving signal ? I have ADSL connection (WAN) and some clients connected via WIFI. Should I do it?
    __________________________________________________ _
    WL-500gP Oleg firmware v.1.9.2.7-rtn
    vsftp,lighttp,php5,mysql4,samba3,
    syslog-ng,rrdtools,cron,openvpn
    WD MyBook 250GB
    __________________________________________________ _
    OpenSUSE 13.1

Hi, today I got my Wl-500gp made in june 2007. A normal (not SMD) 68 Ohm resistor soldered paralel with the original r17 did the job.
    Noise before: -99. After: -86.
    Thanks.

noise is 0 (off)

Hi,

I have 2x wl500gp bought before August 2007 that are showing "noise is 0 (off)" for wl noise command. What does this mean? How can it be "enabled"?

Thanks.

P.S. I am not sure if it is related or not, but both are performing quite bad in terms of coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by sarlacc View Post
    Is this hardware mod useful for all modes (router, bridge, AP, client) or only for receiving signal ? I have ADSL connection (WAN) and some clients connected via WIFI. Should I do it?
    Does anyone have the answer to this question?

Confirming router OK, S/N starting with "79..." (SEP-07)

Hello!

I've checked R17 on my router and it's 62 ohms allright, the wi-fi card reads "WL-120G V2A R1.01" the mainboard reads "WL-500G PREMIUM R1.14" the unit's serial number begins with "79..." the firmware was Oleg's ver. 1.9.2.7-9

Greetings

Inertial

Mundu,
    If your router is affected by this bug the benefit will be on wireless module with everything involved (wifi clients - wifi bridge - ap) because radio receive sensitivity is improved
    The routing part is not involved by any means on this.

How to replace the mini pci card?

Quote Originally Posted by mimmopoli View Post
    Yes it's possbile and it work!
    I changed the mini pci original card with a standard BCM94318MPG found on ebay, it's incredible, I gain about 10db on my wds link!

Mimmopoli

P.s:For other info please refer on the original topic on dd-wrt forum...
    I just bought a standard BCM94318MPG and want to install it in my wl-500gp.

Should I just replace it? No need for drivers?

On the BCM94318MPG it is possible to connect the external antenna to two connectors. One called MAIN (J1) and other AUX (J2). On the original asus pci card they are called MAIN (J2) and AUX (J1).

To which one should the external antenna be connected?

Thank you
    Last edited by Bohlendach; 29-04-2008 at 22:04.

You should conect the built-in antenna to main antenna connector.

Quote Originally Posted by sorin View Post
    Hi,

I have 2x wl500gp bought before August 2007 that are showing "noise is 0 (off)" for wl noise command. What does this mean? How can it be "enabled"?

Thanks.

P.S. I am not sure if it is related or not, but both are performing quite bad in terms of coverage.

My router is also giving this reading. Can someone tell us why?

When I use the wl noise command, my router gives me a value of -24. Is this good or bad?

I checked the resistor using a multimeter, and it gives me a value of 3.66 kOhms. My router however is a bit older than the ones talked about in this topic. The number on the back starts with 67 which suggests it was made in July 2006.

Should I still apply the fix or not? Also, what is the physical size of these resistors? Is it 0402?
    Last edited by Aser; 08-05-2008 at 22:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Aser View Post
    When I use the wl noise command, my router gives me a value of -24. Is this good or bad?
    If Wi-Fi is turned ON on router, this shows that there were strong noise source near router, i.e. this value is very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Aser
    Should I still apply the fix or not? Also, what is the physical size of these resistors? Is it 0402?
    Your router is buggy, but fix it is up to you - to make decision you have to reread threads on this forum and OpenWRT forum. R17 size is 0402.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast