Thread: Increase the sensitivity of Asus WL-500gP Hardware mod.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnie-75 View Post
    Thanks,
    So do I definately have a good WL-500gP.
    Exactly, this is a good WL-500gP.

BTW, if anyone is interested, this is my good WL-120G V2AE:

Strange value R17

Hi all,

I have a WL 500GP with Oleg's firmware and the SN starts with 71 - that means a defective board. The wl noise command says : - 98dB before modding. After applying both condenser and R17 mod, wl noise: -98dB. Then, I have measured voltage at R17: 3.2 V at one end and 2.5 V at the other. Mesuring the R17 value I found a strange value : 3.6 kohm . Please tell me what to do to improve the noise value ?

Thanks for help!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by dflorin69 View Post
    Hi all,

I have a WL 500GP with Oleg's firmware and the SN starts with 71 - that means a defective board. The wl noise command says : - 98dB before modding. After applying both condenser and R17 mod, wl noise: -98dB. Then, I have measured voltage at R17: 3.2 V at one end and 2.5 V at the other. Mesuring the R17 value I found a strange value : 3.6 kohm . Please tell me what to do to improve the noise value ?

Thanks for help!
    Change the original R17 resistor (62K Ohm) from the minipciboard with a 62 Ohm resistor, you can find one at the electronic parts store or on an old computer mainboard
    Double check your soldering just to be shure.
    Good luck !
    Last edited by Renegate; 27-03-2008 at 09:00.

dflorin69
    You was read topic carelessly! Condenser C93&C94 and R17 mods are mutually exclusive! Moreover, condenser mod "overwrites" R17 mod.

And since you asks "what to do to improve the noise value ?", I apologize that you totally don't understand what you will give by such mod. Please, reread discussion carefully.

P.S. You cannot measure true R17 value onboard without desoldering - there were other resistors shunt it.

I am interested in replacing the mini PCI card as I'm not too confident with a soldering iron. Does anyone know if the revision of the BCM94318MPG card matters?

Well I bought a BCM94218MPG from Ebay for all of Ј4 and it's made the connection on my WL-500gp far more stable. Before I would sometimes have to search for the router two or three times before I could get a connection, and if let on overnight it would drop. Now it's connecting first time, and last night it didn't drop once!
    Last edited by polygrindle; 10-04-2008 at 07:42.

Done it on my 2 WL500Gp routers

For anyone interrested i've done the R17 mod 2x this evening. I don't have any soldering experience on this size components. I have however soldered one SMD component once before.

Anyone going to try this be aware you DO need very high precision. If in doubt test on a broken piece of hardware like an old mobile phone. I was shitting my pants while doing this mod.

I bought 10x 62ohm resistors ... they only sell per 10 and cost me (for the 10) 1,50 in euro's. They gave me 11 by accident ;-).

First I opened up one of my routers to find the board inside to be way smaller than expected. The SMD components are 10x bigger than what I found inside. Anyway I had already $%^%% the warranty so I continued.
    I unsoldered the R17 resistor which took a while to get out. Soldered the SMD resistor diagonaly away from the other contact and used wire to connect the other side.

My first router didn't seem to get away from -98dB however reception already seemed better so I went on to #2.

Doing my second router I found the -98dB had dropped to -85dB which made me rethink the first attempt.

I redid the first and at some moment my router seemed borked. It did receive but my laptop and other router could not see it. After some tinkering it worked again. I think it was some plastic residue in the slot.
    Now my recetion is -85dB :-]

However I do have unstable WDS which needs looking into. Stops after a few minutes of service. This is a whole other problem since WDS initially never wanted to work.

Now that they are working and I'm sending this post to illustrate my thankfulness.

Thank you for inventing this mod!!!!!!

Why replace

Why replace? Ohm's law...
    You may add 67 Ohm rezistor over the 67K rezistor.

R = (R1* R2) / (R1 + R2)
    R = (67K * 67) / (67K + 67)
    R = 4489000 / 67067
    R = 66.9 ohm
    RT-N13u dd-wrt | Toshiba 2.5" 160GB | pxe boot server