Thread: samba and external share

1. samba and external share

Hi. I installed samba on oleg's firmware. It's working inside LAN, but i want to access samba files from outside LAN. I managed to do it with winscp, but is it possible to make samba available from outside world ? Thank you.

Ever heard of VPN?
    It's not like you can put sama on the internet, you need FTP or a webserver for that

anyway, if you install open vpn (virual private networking), you can log in your router from the outside and you'll obtain an IP adress, something like 10.0.0.2
    From that point you are like a pc connected to the router, so you can access other pc's connected to your router, and also the services of the router self

try this howto: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=...ight=VPN+HowTo

3. thanks @wpte. I already have a webserver installed. The vpn stuff is out of discussion. I was thinking about some kind of port redirection or tunneling via putty.

@wpte,

Samba works over the internet. (i don't know if it's safe, but it works).

you just have to enter the ip-address from the location you want to connect from, if you add that address to the 'allowed' ip-address range it'll work.

A friend of mine and I tested this a while ago, and it works, by adding the address to the allowed 'list' and opening the correct ports I could connect to his harddisk at his location from my place just like it was a network share. (\\ip.address.of.other.location\sharename)

nevertheless, a vpn connection is much safer.

lol, just crazy
    That's why most people don't do that. Maybe with a login, or no writing, it might be a bit safer. The problem is, I can't do any password protected shares... so I can't explain that to you

edit: it's not really easy to connect to.
    with webserver and ftp you just can fill the address in IE or firefox... with external samba I guess you got to mount it first to windows (network drive)

Hi

yeah, I mounted the drive in windows as a network drive, and in the router using smb-mount..

Thinking of it.. it could be safe.. because of the allowed ip-address list.. As soon as we deleted my ip from his list and restarted the service, my permissions to connect to his drive where gone and I couldn't connect.

If I were on another ip, i couldn't connect either. maybe this is pretty safe, but I don't have enough 'security-experience' with *nix to make sure.

verry nice
    but I think this guy wants to know the port, I did some port scanning on my router, but no good

Ok,

from out the back of my head, ports: 135 137 138 139 and 445,

but google for more info.