Thread: WAN losing link

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation WAN losing link

After about three years of usage with no issues, my WL-500g WAN port started acting strange. After some period of time it starts droping link between Asus and switch (WAN LED goes off and on like when you disconnect cable and so does LINK LED on switch). I don't think it is typical "WAN port dying" issue, because it usually comes back without restarting or reconnecting, but sometimes, when this droping is more frequent (WAN LED is going on and off quite frequently) disconnecting the cable solves this issue.
    At first I thought that it is a cable problem, but the strange behaviour when unconnectiong cable helps made me think, that it can be Asus HW problem.

Have anyone else experienced this problem?
    -sway
    "I live my life in four-four time..."

Not really but it can be a hardware problem. When you are reconnecting cable interface of WAN is restarting. That's why it solves a problem for a while. If you are using oleg firmware try original and test. If not, there's something wrong with hardware. It is also possible that connection fails on other side (switch). Try to connect to other port or another device.