Thread: [WL-500g Deluxe] European WL500g Deluxe first pics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionking
    Do we have any news regarding the performance issue ?
    two words explain it all:

'Which performance?'

the darn thing is sooo slow, you can better buy a wl-hdd at this moment if you want fast hdd access

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Unhappy

Bad news for the ones who are waiting for the wl500gx for weeks

But Antilloop can you give us more information about the hardware configuration :
    _quantity of flash memory
    _quantity of RAM
    _inside pics
    _...

Do you think that the future asus/custom firmware release will be able to improve the performances ?

Quote Originally Posted by msp
    Bad news for the ones who are waiting for the wl500gx for weeks

But Antilloop can you give us more information about the hardware configuration :
    _quantity of flash memory
    _quantity of RAM
    _inside pics
    _...

Do you think that the future asus/custom firmware release will be able to improve the performances ?
    flash 4mb (like wl500g)
    ram 16mb enabled (but 32mb onboard, we have enabled it already, and according to asus it should be enabled from factory)
    inside pics see fcc currently

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

how about cpu speed? i think i've read somewhere that's 200MHz...

component details:

WL500g Deluxe

BROADCOM BCM5364PKPB
    MX 29LV320ABTC-90
    SAMSUNG K4S281632F-TC75
    VIA VT6212L
    DELTA LF8731 0432
    DELTA LF8505 0434W
    BCM4306KFB
    ATMEL434 93C46
    BCM2050KML

the broadcom chip used is indeed 200Mhz

thank you!
    I hope it gets here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    two words explain it all:

'Which performance?'

the darn thing is sooo slow, you can better buy a wl-hdd at this moment if you want fast hdd access

do You mean slow compared to WL-500G or to USB 2.0 speed ?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vins
    do You mean slow compared to WL-500G or to USB 2.0 speed ?

Thanks!
    both

speed from FTP from usb2.0 harddrive: 1,3Megabyte/sec

I've got my hands on one today. 200MHz and 32MB of RAM OK.
    I've measured the USB2.0 HDD throughput directly on the device and it reached about 5.5MB/s, which is much better than 0.9MB/s on the 'g' unit, but still falls short of 15MB/s with the same HDD box on a PC.
    Anyway, I wasn't able to squeeze more than 1.1MB/s out of it through the stupid-ftpd and only about 950KB/s over samba, both results wired.
    When wireless (.11g), samba was at about 650KB/s, but this time smbd took only about 40% of CPU (wired, it took >70% CPU).

It seems to me that the bottleneck is mostly in the ethernet driver (I'll try it more later, with disabled bridge, if that makes a difference).

I was unable to run epi_ttcp for some mysterious reason...

I've also tried attaching USB2.0 DVB receiver, but I spotted some ehci BUG(ehci_mem:129), so I'm going to investigate it more.

Is the original asus binary et.o driver the same as the netgear source one?

Quote Originally Posted by Nenik
    It seems to me that the bottleneck is mostly in the ethernet driver (I'll try it more later, with disabled bridge, if that makes a difference).
    Yes, this makes difference. Disabling bridge (or binding to eth0 directly) improves speed for about 10%.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Nenik
    I've got my hands on one today. 200MHz and 32MB of RAM OK.
    I've measured the USB2.0 HDD throughput directly on the device and it reached about 5.5MB/s, which is much better than 0.9MB/s on the 'g' unit, but still falls short of 15MB/s with the same HDD box on a PC.
    Anyway, I wasn't able to squeeze more than 1.1MB/s out of it through the stupid-ftpd and only about 950KB/s over samba, both results wired.
    When wireless (.11g), samba was at about 650KB/s, but this time smbd took only about 40% of CPU (wired, it took >70% CPU).

I was unable to run epi_ttcp for some mysterious reason...

I've also tried attaching USB2.0 DVB receiver, but I spotted some ehci BUG(ehci_mem:129), so I'm going to investigate it more.

Is the original asus binary et.o driver the same as the netgear source one?
    Edit:
    With the firmware from oleg the speeds are somewhat higher:
    download: 1250kB/s
    upload: 1400kB/s

Thanks man, you guys really know something about this stuff!!
    -----------------

How do you measure the throughput directly on the device?

I got very different results when testing the throughput from the harddisk with different firmware.
    ========
    With 1.8.2.1 firmware:
    Upload (write) : about 450 kB/s
    Download (read) : about 780 kB/s
    Speeds were very stable, did not fluctuate more then 20kB/s.
    ========
    With 1.9.3.6 BETA firmware:
    Upload (write) : about 985 kB/s
    Download (read) : about 985kB/s
    With the newer firmware the speeds were just as stable. But the weird thing here that the speeds are exactly the same, looks like something is limiting the bandwidth. The external case with hdd is USB2.0 and does about 20mb/s when connected to a normal pc. It looks like the connection with the router is just usb1.1 or something
    Last edited by Bartjuh; 21-03-2005 at 18:20. Reason: Got wiser ;)

Nenik said
    Any news from the DVB front?
    I have been thinking about doing something similar, but with a hardware mpeg encoder. Would it work on a wl500g deluxe? And what about a plain wl500g?