Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [WL-500g Deluxe] European WL500g Deluxe first pics

Quote Originally Posted by rkhalloran
    The GX has (a) 2 USB 2.0 ports vs. 1 USB 1.1 port on the -G version, big improvement if you're planning on using USB-attached hard drives and (b) has the "afterburner" wireless enhancement so potentially you can get 100+ Mb/s throughput if your client adapters support it
    to correct you in the differences the WL500g also has a LPT port, the WL500g Deluxe (WL500gx was it's codename only) has not.

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by rkhalloran
    The GX has (a) 2 USB 2.0 ports vs. 1 USB 1.1 port on the -G version, big improvement if you're planning on using USB-attached hard drives and (b) has the "afterburner" wireless enhancement so potentially you can get 100+ Mb/s throughput if your client adapters support it
    Well, the USB2.0 ports are not as big as an improvement as i had expected. When i upload to the disk (eq writing) the speed is about 480 Kb/s, for downloading (eq reading) it's about 800 Kb/s. But the speeds are quite stable, thats a plus.

The disk does about 35mb/s on ide, and ca 20mb/s when connected directly to the pc via a usb2.0 case. (reading)

Are these slow speeds hardware related (eg, the proc/usb controller cannot go any faster), or are these problems software related?

Quote Originally Posted by phil_trick
    Looks like on J5 you have 2 serial ports coming out on that header.
    WARNING: they look like they at TTL levels so they can't be plugged in to a serail port on a PC directly.
    The is a 3.3v supply and ground so a level converter PCB could be made for that jumper, and the power could be drawn from the main PCB.
    See my web pages at http://www.rwhitby.net/wrt54gs/serial.html and http://www.rwhitby.net/nslu2/serial.html for details of how to build level converters for these types on interfaces. Those pages include details of ready-made kits that you can buy, so the only thing you will need to do is wire up some connectors to J5.

The second set of headers: J1 (I think, hey, I can't count either ) look to be standard USB port headers. The only thing is that they do not have a +5v supply for the usb connectors. For that we might be able to draw the voltage from the +5v supply on the built in USB ports.
    The other interesting thing is the three GPIO signals on that header. Wonder if they are used for anything on-board, or whether they are really three general purpose I/Os for our use :-)

-- Rod

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby
    The other interesting thing is the three GPIO signals on that header. Wonder if they are used for anything on-board, or whether they are really three general purpose I/Os for our use :-)

-- Rod
    What, for interesting things like running Zoneminder http://www.zoneminder.com/ and using one of the GPIOs as an alarm trigger input

Phil

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Nenik
    I've got my hands on one today. 200MHz and 32MB of RAM OK.
    I've measured the USB2.0 HDD throughput directly on the device and it reached about 5.5MB/s, which is much better than 0.9MB/s on the 'g' unit, but still falls short of 15MB/s with the same HDD box on a PC.
    Anyway, I wasn't able to squeeze more than 1.1MB/s out of it through the stupid-ftpd and only about 950KB/s over samba, both results wired.
    When wireless (.11g), samba was at about 650KB/s, but this time smbd took only about 40% of CPU (wired, it took >70% CPU).

It seems to me that the bottleneck is mostly in the ethernet driver (I'll try it more later, with disabled bridge, if that makes a difference).

I was unable to run epi_ttcp for some mysterious reason...

I've also tried attaching USB2.0 DVB receiver, but I spotted some ehci BUG(ehci_mem:129), so I'm going to investigate it more.

Is the original asus binary et.o driver the same as the netgear source one?
    Edit:
    With the firmware from oleg the speeds are somewhat higher:
    download: 1250kB/s
    upload: 1400kB/s

Thanks man, you guys really know something about this stuff!!
    -----------------

How do you measure the throughput directly on the device?

I got very different results when testing the throughput from the harddisk with different firmware.
    ========
    With 1.8.2.1 firmware:
    Upload (write) : about 450 kB/s
    Download (read) : about 780 kB/s
    Speeds were very stable, did not fluctuate more then 20kB/s.
    ========
    With 1.9.3.6 BETA firmware:
    Upload (write) : about 985 kB/s
    Download (read) : about 985kB/s
    With the newer firmware the speeds were just as stable. But the weird thing here that the speeds are exactly the same, looks like something is limiting the bandwidth. The external case with hdd is USB2.0 and does about 20mb/s when connected to a normal pc. It looks like the connection with the router is just usb1.1 or something
    Last edited by Bartjuh; 21-03-2005 at 19:20. Reason: Got wiser ;)

Nenik said
    I've also tried attaching USB2.0 DVB receiver, but I spotted some ehci BUG(ehci_mem:129), so I'm going to investigate it more.
    Any news from the DVB front?
    I have been thinking about doing something similar, but with a hardware mpeg encoder. Would it work on a wl500g deluxe? And what about a plain wl500g?

Quote Originally Posted by gbrancovici
    While visiting CeBIT I've run into ASUS' booth and I've found this weird things (see picture):
    1. Why is the CD labelled g/gx?
    2. What is the WL-500g2R?
    regarding Q2:

see this thread please:

https://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=2049

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123