Thread: Adding 2nd antena to a WL-500g

Exclamation Adding 2nd antena to a WL-500g

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to add a 2nd antena to a WL-500g?

(I assume that this is possible by soldering directlly on the seccond connector of the mini-pci card...)
    Has anyone tried it?
    Can it use diversity mode?
    Can we choose which antena to use?

thanks.

UPDATE:
    A litlle birdie told me this:
    To add a seccond external antenna to the wl500g, all that needs to be done is this: remove the C147 capacitor,
    add (solder): R55 (1M 1%) and C4 (6P2F).
    then solder a 50ohm cable into the Main connector, and a female plug of your choice on the other end. and that's it.

(I haven't done it yet, because I don't have the parts, but I plan to do it soon.)

PS: Do this at your own risk! If you blow up your router, don't blame me!
    Please post your results in the forum!
    Last edited by gwl; 18-02-2005 at 23:31.
    [ WL-500G | fw: 1.9.2.7-7f ]

WL-500g has an internal antenna and an external antenna. If, for example, you want to place an antenna on your roof just use the reverse-sna connector on the back for this one. The internal connector will cover the interiour...

Hi

Search the Forum, there was some thread.
    Diversity is allways on, you can switch the ports manual if you want. if you have soldering skliss you can switch a capacitor and solder a seccond lucent conncetor to the minipci. Dont know any who tried this.

Greets
    My Stuff: WL-500g, Mapower H31x 10GB HD, Philips Webcam Vesta PRO, TerraTec Webcam PRO, USB Hub

How to add a second (external) antena to a WL500G

How to add a second (external) antena to a WL500G:

take a look at:
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?p=8054#post8054
    Last edited by gwl; 19-02-2005 at 03:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    WL-500g has an internal antenna and an external antenna. If, for example, you want to place an antenna on your roof just use the reverse-sna connector on the back for this one. The internal connector will cover the interiour...
    You should not do that ! This could definitely burn your radio !
    An antenna needs to be "tuned" in order to deliver the best performance (i.e the right length according to the frequency, the right impedance ...).
    Using your unit for a long time like you said could damage it....
    The Struggle Continues...
    Asus WL500g #1 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as main home gateway, with Philipps PWC730k
    Asus WL500g #2 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as Wireless Client, running palantir 2.6 with SPCA5xx camera on 128MB generic USB key

Quote Originally Posted by max2950
    You should not do that ! This could definitely burn your radio !
    An antenna needs to be "tuned" in order to deliver the best performance (i.e the right length according to the frequency, the right impedance ...).
    Using your unit for a long time like you said could damage it....
    The right impedance is ALWAYS 50ohm. The frequency is ALWAYS 2.4Ghz.
    If the antenna is well designed then there's no problem if you connect it directly or if you use a cable between the connector and the antenna.
    The only difference is that in the second case the signal get's atenuated because of the loss in the cable...
    The router WAS designed to support two antennas...

Quote Originally Posted by gwl
    The right impedance is ALWAYS 50ohm. The frequency is ALWAYS 2.4Ghz.
    If the antenna is well designed then there's no problem if you connect it directly or if you use a cable between the connector and the antenna.
    The only difference is that in the second case the signal get's atenuated because of the loss in the cable...
    The router WAS designed to support two antennas...
    Yes i know, but if i understand him rightly he just plan to use the connector as an antenna....
    The Struggle Continues...
    Asus WL500g #1 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as main home gateway, with Philipps PWC730k
    Asus WL500g #2 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as Wireless Client, running palantir 2.6 with SPCA5xx camera on 128MB generic USB key

Quote Originally Posted by max2950
    Yes i know, but if i understand him rightly he just plan to use the connector as an antenna....
    In that case there is a potential for improving your English. Using a connector FOR an antenna isn't the same as using it AS one.

I'm doing the same - that is having a 50 Ohm cable leading onto my roof with a directional antenna there and do not have any bad conscience about it.

The only thing I'd consider is a lightning protection - in case its attenuation won't be too high.