Thread: hdd powered by the wl-500gP

hdd powered by the wl-500gP

Hi, as the title says, im getting a hdd that is powered by the usb port, was thinking of this one: Western Digital Passport II USB 120 GB.
    Was wondering if anyone in here is using it? Do the wl-500gP's usb port manage to run that hdd, or is it better to get one with its own power adaptor?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by maievh View Post
    Hi, as the title says, im getting a hdd that is powered by the usb port, was thinking of this one: Western Digital Passport II USB 120 GB.
    Was wondering if anyone in here is using it? Do the wl-500gP's usb port manage to run that hdd, or is it better to get one with its own power adaptor?
    There should not be problems the unit can handle the power consumtion of the external HDD ....
    I've tested with a 250 GB, 2,5" Laptop HardDrive and it worked
    If you are still worryed, buy a selft powered USB Hub and connect the HDD trought the hub.

Best regards

Renegate

Thumbs down Not all 2,5 drives run directly from the usb port

Hi,

just adding my 2 cents here.

Not all 2,5' drives run directly from the usb port.

I've 2 off them, tried them both, (but using 3,5' now, capacity/price) one works directly, the other one just fails on spinning up , so it has to be powered with an external power supply..

use the search function and specify "2,5" and "power" as keywords, enough info should come up.. (some people manage to run directly, others don't)

HTH

It seems that the USB port may not provide a full 0.5A though. I have an external USB hard drive that works completely off USB as long as the USB port you are connecting to supplies 0.5A. It works fine on my laptop and on most desktops that I have connected to. It however will not work with my router. I got a WL-500gP and hoped that I would not have to get an external adapter but alas I did. It would work if I connected using the special cable that was supplied that used both the ports but it wouldn't actually see it until I had the router reboot.

P.S. - Upon using an AC adapter for the drive (5 Volt - 2 Amp) I found that it will also power the router via USB. Is this a good or bad thing? I discovered this when I pulled the power plug from the back and noted that the router was still running like nothing ever happened.

It is a good thing, I think!
    Now you have a router with redundant power supply...