Thread: Replacing Harddisk

Replacing Harddisk

Hi there!

Sorry for asking - but - how can I replace the internal harddrive if i run the original firmware? Which filesystem is needed? I tried NTFS and FAT32 - even an unformated drive but the WL700gE didn't boot up?

Any help? Tutorials? I tried searching but didn't found anything =/

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by aempire; 14-02-2008 at 10:55.

AFAIK it is ReiserFS

only follow these instructions:

http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/?q=node/54

grat182

You might also benefit from:
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=10198

Marc

@gratitude182:

thanks! and this rebuilds the filesystem thats needed on the new harddrive? WL700gE_1.0.4.2_flash.trx seems to be an old firmware? can i use a newer one?

@mumsoft:

i don't have ANY linux skills.
    Last edited by aempire; 13-02-2008 at 15:18.

Good tips from the other guys, but if I remember correctly, all you have to do is install the new HDD and use the Asus reflash utility to write the "firmware" portion of the .nas file to the HDD.

Once the kernel boots, and it realizes that there is no filesystem on the HDD, it immediately goes into a recovery mode waiting to be updated.

You shouldn't have to upload any .trx files via tftp.

- K.C.

I'll try later - thanks. But with the new HDD attached I've got no acces to the router and the Firmware Recovery Tool reports timeouts =/ Yesterday the router totally died (no matter which HDD I inserted). Reanimated it by pressing randomly Reset and EZSetup buttons =)

cheers!

edit: so I have to remove every filesystem from the new disk before inserting it? and i can flash/recover the box without any leds flashing?
    Last edited by aempire; 14-02-2008 at 10:56.

Hi!

I have similar problem. After several flashing and modification I can not create share anymore, so I deleted the partition on the hdd. I created a new one and formatted to reiserfs. Now my disc is completly empty and tried to do the failsafe reflash. Unfortunately it does not work. First I tried to tftp the trx file and after reboot I used the restoration tool to upload the .nas file. Unfortunately it is not succeded. It writes all the time the message:
    Transfer failed: 10054

Any idea how to solve this? Should I repartition the hdd, or format to a different filesystem?
    Thanks in advance!
    Z.

Quote Originally Posted by zozi80 View Post
    Any idea how to solve this? Should I repartition the hdd, or format to a different filesystem?
    Thanks in advance!
    Z.
    I would put the HDD into another linux box and wipe out any partition info off of the front of the disc with "dd" then reinstall it into the router and reflash the firmware.

- K.C.

Hello Kfurge,

You were right! I wiped the MBR with the command: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=446 count=1 than used fdisk and flashed again without any failures! Now it works again!

Thanks!!!
    Z.