Quote Originally Posted by Garluk View Post
I have a WL-500GP v2 on my hand.
I have disassembled it and I have found the RAM. There are only one chip: the Hynix HY5DU561622ETP
So if you google for this chip, you can find, that it is a 16Mx16 chip, resulting in 32MB. As single. Theoretically it means, that this router (because of the one-chip design) could not be upgraded to 128, but 64MB.
As it should be the actual case, as on the reference pictures linked by Serge (thanks ) the chip on board is a Samsung K4H511638D what is used by many of us, giving 64MB/chip capacity.
So if you are interested in upgrading your router to 64MB the steps are the folowing:
- Check router board for missing resistors (if any), as on the previous boards A12 address line has not been implemented -it might be the case in the new version also.
- Cross check memory addressing parameters with Oleg, how to enable 64Mb on a single chip for v2 routers.
- Acquire a single Samsung K4H511638D or equivalent chip with 32Mx16 capacity (look above Inertial's post about compatible chips)
- Do the phisical upgrade (or better to ask someone with good soldering skills and a rework station to do is for you)
- Check it with Oleg's memtest
- Enable 64 MB
- Recheck
- Enjoy

Hope it helps.
BR.
Tamas

status report: A friend of mine just finished upgrading the router sucessfully to 128MB, and also added connectors for the two additional USB ports with neat routing and proper coupling. I have finished installation of an external diversity antenna (instead of the PCB one) and installed 2x 5dB antennaes. :-) No dropped connection since, 54 Mbit/s maintained everywhere, fastest Wlan as ever with this router. :-)