Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: [HowTo] Get a HeadStart on a WL-500gP

Hi Baraxash,

you could try to install AIOCP again.

open http://192.168.1.1:8082/AIOCP/install/install.php in your browser and follow instructions.

Something might get mixed up when you changed the language.

This will provide you with a fresh install of AIOCP, try to change the language from there.

HTH.

OK NOW I CAN SEE THE control panel but i can't login.. i've try with admin asus and with admin and the pass that i've change into the config files of aiocp.......... tnx too much for u'r help....
    Last edited by baraxash; 09-03-2008 at 18:22.

Quote Originally Posted by baraxash View Post
    OK NOW I CAN SEE THE control panel but i can't login.. i've try with admin asus and with admin and the pass that i've change into the config files of aiocp.......... tnx too much for u'r help....
    Hi,

the standard login and password after a new installation of AIOCP are:

name: admin
    password: 1234

HTH

ok ok perfect thanks toooo much thanks 4 u'r perfect HOWTO...

Hi,

you're welcome, glad to hear it's working now.

Thanks Raas for this step-by-step guide for newbies like me to follow...

Router up and working, with plenty for me to learn and play with....

Thanks for the time and effort you put in to this....
    And also a BIG up to Wengi for the Harddrive preperation part...

Hi hypernetics,

I'm glad to hear it's working out for you!
    Indeed, thumbs up for Wengi and Oleg for providing so much information.
    Like my signature says.. I just put stuff together, hoping to help someone!., the more the better.

Hi raas,

How would i configure the firewall using your set-up? as i am getting slow transfer rates in transmission (about 4kb/s to 20kb/s). And think the listening port may be closed. (In utorrent I get speeds of about 100kb/s)

I have tried... vi /usr/local/sbin/firewall ...but there is no file to edit.

Also your installed_packages.txt file states transmission - 0.81-1 is installed, where can I see this within the application? And Is it worth updating to the newer versions?? (as some people are having difficlties... and unlike me they know what they're doing...) What version are you running...??

Thanks in advance

Hi, I'm running the same version of transmission as in the package.
    But I have to say, I'm not a 'torrent' guy, preferably use newsgroups. (that's why HellaNZB is in the package)
    But It's working, that's why I included it in the package.

I don't thing the firewall is your problem, because, if it was closed you wouldn't have a connection..

Are you running in Access Point only or as a Home Router (I don't have experience with this setting as I have another firewall in my dsl-modem which I use. I'm using the asus as a 'normal' client within my network. It doesn't have 'network-tasks')

I have no experience in updating transmission, so I can not vote for that solution.

But if transmission is not working like you want it, and utorrent does, then skip the transmission part.

HTH

Hello Raas!

First, thank you for your hard work. Or like we use to say in dutch: Kei gaaf man!

My questions before I will update
    -I have my wl500gP setup by wengi tutorial with transmission, samba and offcourse with the help of DrChair SabNZB. Can these programs (or the programs that you substitute with) work in the newest firmware of Oleg 1.9.7.10.
    -The fastest way to backup 450Gb of data? at my wl500g I can only get 3Mb/sec 450Gb will then take up to: 42 Hours, almost 2 days! I cannot setup an linux machine to speed this up. I cannot take the risk to "try and hope it will work" because I have some important documents (3Gb each)

Thanks in advance

The fastest way to backup 450Gb of data, from Ext3 volumes, without an Linux machine is to install onto your Windows machine this:
    Ext2 Installable File System for Windows

BUT you need to read more, because:
    "If you mount an Ext3 file system as an Ext2 file system and the file system is not cleanly dismounted, you have to run the e2fsck tool."

Hi,

@SeverusSneep: Kei vet!
    I can not yet confirm this package also works on oleg's 1.9.7.10. version firmware. Haven't had the time to check this, but with a little luck I will check this weekend. However, you said you've installed your asus a-la wengi. this means you have a 3 partition setup (swap, /opt and /mnt (or /tmp/harddisk). You can choose only to install the /opt package to your asus. This means, only the programs get installed on your asus, and your data partition is 'left-alone'. You can then choose to extract the /mnt (which is in fact a directory structure for the /mnt partition and also contains some webapplications ) package to your pc's harddrive.
    This way you don't have to backup your datapartition because the installation does not write to it. (only for downloading the /opt package, nothing further)
    Be sure to make a backup of /opt though before installing the headstart image.

@Serpent
    Thanks for the tool !
    I've had similar tools like this, but only with read permissions, not write permissions.. (I've had a partition-crash when I was doing something really-really stupid, had to fill the partition over LAN. 400gb of data, took a couple of days.... now this will speed up the process)... like SeverusSneep I don't have a full-blown linux pc to do this. Thanks !

Thank you all of your help, I decided to backup everything and try the new firmware. In return I will make an post (in this topic) with all my experiences and thing I ran into.

For backupping >200Gb

I used Totalcommander, with the filesystem plugin, worked for me quite fine. 350Gb (selected 100Gb of *rubbish* to be deleted anyway) in barely 3 hours. With an avarage speed of 6MB/sec. Acceptable for my though.

For Raas
    Bedankt voor alle moeite kerelt! Ik probeer de nieuwe firmware nu uit. En zet hier mijn ervaringen neer. Vanavond of morgen post ik er meer over.

@SeverusSneep

I just finished installing the ...10 firmware on the asus.
    disconnected the hd, updated the firmware and used wengi's updated thread with all the changes in the post-boot script, fstab. etc.etc.

After this, rebooted and reconnected the hd.

All ok. HeadStart works lighttpd/php/mysql/hellanzb seem to work just fine.
    Have not tested transmission though... not using torrents anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by raas View Post
    @SeverusSneep

I just finished installing the ...10 firmware on the asus.
    disconnected the hd, updated the firmware and used wengi's updated thread with all the changes in the post-boot script, fstab. etc.etc.

After this, rebooted and reconnected the hd.

All ok. HeadStart works lighttpd/php/mysql/hellanzb seem to work just fine.
    Have not tested transmission though... not using torrents anymore.
    My apologies for not answering any faster, due to exams and work I could not.

My experiences
    To be sure my WL500g was in perfect condition before I started this test, I ran the firmware restorationtool, and started with a blank firmware to ensure that no firmware error could ruin my test.

After the installation of "raas-ware" I came to the first problem. I could not reach the transmission client and not to my old shares. Fixed that with fsstab (redirection to /mnt instead of /tmp/harddisk).

After this fix I found out that raas used some folders names: protected and unprotected (something simular like this). I tried to reach hellnzbd and transmission, but no result. At transmission I was asked to fill in a user/pass combination, and whatever I tried...no result.

With the proverb "lood in mijn schoenen" (there is no actual english translation for it..well...litterly lead in my shoes ) I continued my work and found out that my WL500G started crashing for nothing, I could not reach any website, I DHCP server got lost and my LAN got really unstable. Fixed this with a gentle reboot and went further on. I started downloading an 100MB iso from my ISP (I have an 16MBit connection), and I only got 512Kbit. I realised that there could be a faillure at my ISP so I tried another website....speed: 500Kbit

Like wtf!

Well, fixed this with an reboot. Apparantly my modem and WL500G needed to be rebooted at the same time...after this I got a whopping 15,9Mbits again. Strange! I doubt it if this was caused by the firmware, but I thought it would be worth mentioning.

Then I started Hellnzbd and found out that the connection was refused/not available and 550 all the time. This was after 2 hours of testing, rebooting and frustration....I gave up and installed my old firmware....damn!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast