Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [HowTo] Get a HeadStart on a WL-500gP

Quote Originally Posted by raas View Post
    Yeah, this sometimes happens. I'm using a free host, that's why...
    (btw... links are up atm.)
    Yeah, it's working. I am downloading now. Thanks.

Please help

I followed Raas's instructions and everything went smoothly to the end of step 3. After reboot the router could not mount to the hard disk. I could see the three partitions listed in /dev/discs/disc0/. When trying to mount manually I got error "No such device or address".

I started over from scratch and the same thing happen.

Does anyone know what's wrong here. Please help me.

BTW, if it matters the router I am using is WL520GU.

Many thanks,
    lamsao

Hi Lamsao,

Could you please post the output of

Code:
    df
    and the contents of

Code:
    /etc/fstab
    (use vi / nano)

Thanks,

If someone could help me with ados I would be apreciated

I can schedule downloads to download only from 2-7 (or any other hour) but downloads don't start by themselves....

How can I edit them to start automaticly?

Thumbs up

Hi Lamsao,

Could you please post the output of

Code:
    df
    and the contents of

Code:
    /etc/fstab
    (use vi / nano)

Thanks,

Raas,

I have solved the problem. As mentioned in Wengi's instructions the pre-mount script may take some time to perform e2fsck, but I was impatient and did not wait long enough. Now, I have everything working up to step 4 in your instructions. Just need to customize it.

I want to be able to access http://192.168.0.1:8082 (home page) and http://192.168.0.1:901/ (Samba) from the WAN interface. I tried to configure the port fowarding as follow:

Destination Proto. Port Range Redirect to
    all TCP 8082 192.168.0.1
    all TCP 901 192.168.0.1

But I could not connect from the WAN side. Do you know if this can be done and how? Thanks a lot for your help.

-- Lamsao

Quote Originally Posted by lamsao View Post
    Raas,

But I could not connect from the WAN side. Do you know if this can be done and how? Thanks a lot for your help.
    Like the tutorial says, I don't use the asus as a router, but as AP-only.
    Normally you would bind outside ip/port to inside ip/port
    In what you post, this is not a full combination (like I'm missing the outside port)

Normally you would have something like this.
    outside.ip.address:80 -> 192.168.0.1:8082
    outside.ip.address:901 -> 192.168.0.1:901

HTH

Like the tutorial says, I don't use the asus as a router, but as AP-only.
    Normally you would bind outside ip/port to inside ip/port
    In what you post, this is not a full combination (like I'm missing the outside port)

Normally you would have something like this.
    outside.ip.address:80 -> 192.168.0.1:8082
    outside.ip.address:901 -> 192.168.0.1:901

HTH
    Raas,

That was what I have set my router to but it did not work.

'your router' , is this the asus or not?

How did you test? please describe with more info please on what you did to test and to get it to work (and which device(s) are used).
    Did you test from the actual internet at another place to your public ip? t doesn't work when you are at your own place and try to access your public ip.

HTH

a few questions

Hi, raas, thanks for the guide! I carefully followed it until the customization section. So I'm just testing now if everything works correctly and I've got a few questions.

First. Your router name is "NAS" mine is different. I see there are files
    nas.lan.conf and nas.wan.conf in the /tmp folder
    are they related to the name of the router?

Second. I've looked through /tmp/syslog.log and there are a few minor errors after execuling the /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung restart command

Nov 21 17:05:18 rc.unslung: restart service /opt/etc/init.d/S05syslogd
    Nov 21 17:05:18 System log daemon exiting.
    Nov 21 17:05:20 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.1.3
    Nov 21 17:05:20 syslogd: started.
    Nov 21 17:05:20 rc.unslung: restart service /opt/etc/init.d/S10cron
    Nov 21 17:05:20 rc.unslung: restart service /opt/etc/init.d/S10xinetd
    Nov 21 17:05:20 /opt/sbin/cron[1505]: (CRON) STARTUP (V5.0)
    Nov 21 17:05:22 rc.unslung: restart service /opt/etc/init.d/S45php
    Nov 21 17:05:22 rc.unslung: restart service /opt/etc/init.d/S58proftpd
    Nov 21 17:05:22 xinetd[1528]: missing service keyword [file=/opt/etc/xinetd.conf] [line=18]
    Nov 21 17:05:22 xinetd[1528]: missing } in last service entry [file=/opt/etc/xinetd.conf] [line=18]
    Nov 21 17:05:22 xinetd[1528]: xinetd Version 2.3.14 started with no options compiled in.

Nov 21 17:05:22 xinetd[1528]: Started working: 1 available service
    Nov 21 17:05:22 rc.unslung: restart service /opt/etc/init.d/S70mysqld
    Nov 21 17:05:22 proftpd[1540]: MyRouterName - Failed binding to 0.0.0.0, port 21: Address already in use
    Nov 21 17:05:22 proftpd[1540]: MyRouterName - Check the ServerType directive to ensure you are configured correctly.

Nov 21 17:05:28 rc.unslung: restart service /opt/etc/init.d/S80busybox_httpd
    Nov 21 17:05:30 rc.unslung: restart service /opt/etc/init.d/S80lighttpd
    Nov 21 17:05:31 rc.unslung: restart service /opt/etc/init.d/S80samba

I've highlighted the lines which I'm not sure are ok. What do you think?

Third. I guess you have a "root" and "admin" users on your ASUS. I just have one user with a different name. I couldn't connect to SWAT WebUI until I changed user names to myname in /opt/etc/xinetd.d/ proftpd and swat.

Thanks again! I'll be trying to configure transmission now. It looks like it has to be started manually, right?

p.s. I'm new to all this and not a native English speaker.

Hi TSanchess,

As far ar I know nas.lan.conf and nas.wan.conf are not related to the name of the device (hostname). I think this is coincidence.

the errors when you execute /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung restart are probably due to the fact that the services (or the files to (re)start services) don't have the proper restart options set. I must admit, I never looked into this.

I only have an admin user on the system, which during setup of mysql is changed in root, and then back again. (the root user is an mysql user, which is not an os-user).
    I've never changed the name admin to anything else, so I don't know if swat and proftp needed reconfiguring.

Transmission should start on itself once the router is started / (re)booted)

I hope you enjoy it !

Greetz,

Raas

Proftpd problem

Dear all,
    contents:
    1) Thank you,
    2) Samba solution,
    3) Proftpd problem.

1) Let me start with big thank you to Raas and Wengi for their tutorials. All my experience with linux so far was 1 Suse installation (graphical) which lasted for 1 day and that was it. Yet, using your tutorials I was able to get my Asus up and running on the first try! Great job guys!

2) I have noticed around this forum (and on the web too) that many people tend to have a login issue to Samba from XP as Guests, especially when XP is part of a domain (AD) and often no solution is given. Well, solution which seems to work everywhere (where I have tested) is simple:
    Through web interface (192.168.1.1:901) go to Global -> basic view. Then leave everything as configured by the tutorial (security=SHARE), and in addition change these settings: NullPasswords = Yes [that should help regular XP/Vista installations]; Encrypt passwords = Yes; WINS support = Yes [that should be for ok for xp/Vistas which are part of a domain].

3) Proftpd is a nightmare for me and I am possibly doing something really really wrong or other people just gave up on it and use something else -> because I was not able to find solution anywhere... I even followed the original documentation but still no luck. Well, to the point then:
    [insert => maybe if someone writes a complete Howto for others to use would be also helpful]

I can start Proftpd -> no problem (I start it manually). I have it have specified this folder as "ftp root": /mnt/public/FTP
    I can login into FTP as anonymous (if that section is present in conf file).
    I can login into FTP as users when I comment out the anonymous section, but users must be defined in passwd file using adduser.

Problems:
    1) Cannot write to any folder under FTP! (I have an Upload folder there) I used the LIMIT as in the examples of conf files to allow access there. I even disabled the Limit not to write to the whole FTP but still can't upload to any directory. (could it be access rights in linux?)

2) Users -> When I use users, they can browse the whole disk (e.g. they can get "above" FTP -> to public -> mnt -> ...)
    I would prefer not tu use passwd file but to create an AuthUserFile -> I tried but apparently proftpd ignores all users in it even when specified in the conf file.

3) What I ultimately want is a conf file which will allow:
    a) no anonymous access FTP
    b) read virtual users from authusers file (not passwd)
    c) each user to have access to either
    /mnt/public/FTP
    or /mnt/public/FTP2
    but only to 1 of these. (I do not want these to be different FTP servers, only different folders).

And hopefully such a conf file that even I will be able to do the updates to it in the future.

Now if you want, go ahead and post here the complete proftpd.conf file. But I'd rather have a good understanding of what and how to do. Also other people might benefit from it.

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers,
    B.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonSk View Post
    Dear all,
    contents:
    1) Thank you,
    2) Samba solution,
    3) Proftpd problem.
    Regarding point (3), have you taken a look here?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamadite View Post
    Regarding point (3), have you taken a look here?
    Hi.
    Yes I have. This however does not answer all of my problems. Firstly I would rather not use passwd for user accounts; secondly there is no clear way how to split users between "FTP1" and "FTP2" (see my example above); and lastly, don't know if it would solve my write restriction problem.

Once more - I tried several pre-designed conf files and I get get the ftp to accept connections and login. But that is just about where I get

Thanks.
    B.

problem with webserver...

hi alias88 (lee )

hmm... seems that the webserver isn't running.
    could you describe the error (404, not found, or something else?)
    (is samba running?, can you access the harddrive from your pc?)

check with 'df' if your disk/partitions are mounted.

check with 'top' or 'ps' or 'ps axf' which programs are running, there should be a process like lighttpd (the webserver). if there's none, check if your services are starting up when rebooted

Execute:

Code:
    Code:
    nano /usr/local/sbin/post-mount
    Example: (last line has been decommented -> # removed, so the script does execute)

Code:
    Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung start
    save to flash

Code:
    flashfs save && flashfs commit && flashfs enable && reboot
    Good luck!
    I have followed all the instructions line by line...

I canot access the address 10.69.226.13:8082 ( i have changed the default address 192.168.1.1 with the 10.69.226.13). It pops out a message:error loading page. But when i try 10.69.226.13 (without :8082) it brings the default oleg firmware web page.

Partitions are mounted correctly.

samba is not working.
    top and ps commands dont show a line with lighttpd.

Any ideas... what is wrong?

What can i do?

Hi,

this is prob. because you've changed your ip address.
    Samba only accepts clients from 192.168.1.x range
    and lighttpd relies on a php parser which is on 192.168.1.1

for lighttpd do:

Code:
    nano /opt/etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf
    and look up the address: 192.168.1.1 and change to yours (10.69.226.13). (it's in the fastcgi.server)

for samba do:

Code:
    nano /opt/etc/samba/smb.conf
    and add the following to global:
    Code:
    [global]

hosts allow = 10.69.226.
    or set with http://10.69.226.13:901 and use the original login/password you've set in the asus original config pages.

HTH.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast