Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom 1.0.7.8 firmware is ready to download

Custom 1.0.7.8 firmware is ready to download

Finally a custom version of the 1.0.7.8 Asus release is ready to release. This version continues many of the philosophies of the 1.0.4.6 version, but has some additional features that make it much more usable out of the box.

For those of you using the previous 1.0.4.6 version, this one is not 100% backwards compatible, though it's pretty close. Read the documentation carefully and you should be OK.

The documentation and firmware image are on back2basic's web site here:

http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/?q=node/134

I would like to thank him for his generous offer to host everything.

- K.C.

P.S. As usual, this software is provided "AS IS". Use at your own risk.

So, umm, dumb question.. What's the login & pw for the telnet? I tried my router's login & pw for the web interface but it didn't work.

nvm, figured it out.. ok, next dumb question.. does the rc.local go in the same spot? My old one was still hanging around but it doesn't look
    like it was executed, since watchdog was still running when it all came up, and I had it set to kill watchdog.

Also is there anyway to tell that I'm actually running your 1.0.7.8 and somehow didn't get the stock version?
    I remember when I was tinkering with the source a while back I found where the version number was stored and was able to change it..
    don't remember if it actually reflected it when I flashed the firmware though.

ok, and just to err on the side of paranoia, when I downloaded your image, the website named it something totally random, which made
    finding it on my hard drive interesting. So I honestly don't know which version I actually downloaded, but from what I read of your
    documentation and what I'm seeing on this end, I think I'm running the stock 1.0.7.8. SSH isn't working, and my telnet login is the good
    ol' root with no password.. my web interface l/p isn't working.
    Last edited by Omega; 05-06-2013 at 20:40. Reason: 2 posts merged

Load rc.local

I install kfirge firmeware follow
    http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/?q=node/83

but in step 1.3 Installing optware packages topic 5

Add the following line to /opt/etc/ipkg.conf with the newly installed busybox version of vi:
    # src optware http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op...g/cross/stable

is'show "src: not found" did I miss anything ?

Please Help

That my stupid -_-""
    Now I add src optware http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op...g/cross/stable
    to ipkg.conf

but when I update ipkg
    ipkg install uclibc-opt busybox ipkg-opt wget

It show syntex error like this

[u@h W]ipkg -force-overwrite install uclibc-opt busybox ipkg-opt wget
    Package uclibc-opt (0.9.28-12) installed in /opt/ is up to date.
    Package busybox (1.9.0-1) installed in /opt/ is up to date.
    Package ipkg-opt (0.99.163-9) installed in /opt/ is up to date.
    Package wget (1.10.2-4) installed in /opt/ is up to date.
    Configuring busybox-links
    syntax error
    syntax error
    syntax error
    syntax error
    syntax error
    syntax error
    syntax error
    postinst script returned status 255
    ERROR: busybox-links.postinst returned 255
    Nothing to be done
    Successfully terminated.

What I should do ?

Wooow, cool! Can't wait to flash it! :-) Thanx, kfurge!!!!!!

D.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-cool
    syntax error
    syntax error
    postinst script returned status 255
    ERROR: busybox-links.postinst returned 255
    Nothing to be done
    Successfully terminated.
    Read the FAQ section. You need to insure that the environment variable KCSHELL is set to /opt/bin/bash so that the postinstall scripts will run properly:

export KCSHELL=/opt/bin/bash

Logging in as root via ssh will do this, as will a "sudo -l bash" if logged in as the admin user.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflash
    ok, and just to err on the side of paranoia, when I downloaded your image, the website named it something totally random, which made finding it on my hard drive interesting. .
    Interesting... Perhaps back2basic can chime in here! Tonight I'll mirror it to the wl500g.info site which should preserve the filename.

To make sure you got the right file, confirm the md5 sum.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflash
    SSH isn't working, and my telnet login is the good ol' root with no password.. my web interface l/p isn't working.
    Both of these features are configured via rc.local. If you're running your old rc.local, then the scripts which fix the password file are probably not being executed.

When migrating from 1.0.4.6, I'd recommend temporarily renaming /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt to /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt.DO_NOT_LOAD so that the /opt filesystem from the firmware image is executed.

After that, combine the new 1.0.7.8 rc.local with your old 1.0.4.6 rc.local, rename opt.DO_NOT_LOAD back to opt, and reboot the router.

- K.C.
    Last edited by Omega; 05-06-2013 at 20:44. Reason: 2 posts merged

Quote Originally Posted by fireflash View Post
    ok, next dumb question.. does the rc.local go in the same spot? My old one was still hanging around but it doesn't look like it was executed, since watchdog was still running when it all came up, and I had it set to kill watchdog.
    Regarding rc.local, please read the documentation. I specifically addressed this point.

It's OK to keep watchdog running now. Asus fixed the problem where it kept the HDD spinning. Also, it's been released as source again, that's how I confirmed the original problem has been fixed.

Also is there anyway to tell that I'm actually running your 1.0.7.8 and somehow didn't get the stock version?
    You'll be able to tell by poking around the filesystems. If you have an /bin/kcsh then it's running the custom firmware.

- K.C.
    Last edited by kfurge; 24-01-2008 at 18:31. Reason: Fixed /opt/bin/kcshell to /bin/kcshell

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    Read the FAQ section. You need to insure that the environment variable KCSHELL is set to /opt/bin/bash so that the postinstall scripts will run properly:

Logging in as root via ssh will do this, as will a "sudo -l bash" if logged in as the admin user.

- K.C.
    Thank for your help.
    I have read the FAQ but due to I'm a newbie. So, I don't understand. T-T
    How ever I try this
    [u@h W]sudo -l bash
    sudo: not found

but I think I login as root ( because I use login name as root )
    so. I try this follow your suggestion
    and
    ipkg install uclibc-opt busybox ipkg-opt wget

Package uclibc-opt (0.9.28-12) installed in /opt/ is up to date.
    Package busybox (1.9.0-1) installed in /opt/ is up to date.
    Package ipkg-opt (0.99.163-9) installed in /opt/ is up to date.
    Package wget (1.10.2-4) installed in /opt/ is up to date.
    Configuring busybox-links
    head: error while loading shared libraries: head: symbol vprintf, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
    update-alternatives: Error: cannot register alternative [ to /opt/bin/[ since it is already registered to
    head: error while loading shared libraries: head: symbol vprintf, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
    update-alternatives: Error: cannot register alternative cal to /opt/bin/cal since it is already registered to
    xsystem: ERROR: Child process died due to signal 2: `//opt/lib/ipkg/info/busybox-links.postinst configure'
    postinst script returned status -1
    ERROR: busybox-links.postinst returned -1
    Nothing to be done
    Successfully terminated.

Could You help me to fix this ?
    PS. I'm just a user. And have a litle knowledge about linux T-T

[QUOTE=kfurge;79281]Regarding rc.local, please read the documentation. I specifically addressed this point.

It's OK to keep watchdog running now. Asus fixed the problem where it kept the HDD spinning. Also, it's been released as source again, that's how I confirmed the original problem has been fixed.

[/QUOTE4]

You'll be able to tell by poking around the filesystems. If you have an /opt/bin/kcsh then it's running the custom firmware.

- K.C.
    Yeah sorry about that, I did notice after I posted that you did put instructions up.. It was late

I looked, kcsh isn't there.. But based on your next response, it may not have written the /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt because it already existed. I'll rename my /opt to something else and reflash it and see if that gets it working right.

Also, when I did flash the new firmware, my router didn't reboot like it was suppose to. I had to tell it to reboot.. very strange, but everything fired back up with the new firmware.

UPDATE: I renamed my /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt and reflashed the firmware. This time it took off without a hitch, rebooted, and now my web l&p is working for logging into the telnet session, and SSH works. Still don't see kcsh in /opt though, but I did compare the md5 and they match, so it's definitely the right .nas file.

Ok, so after more tinkering, I noticed it doesn't seem to like my old /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt directory being there.. or any /opt directory being there for that matter. If I rename the old one and reboot the router, dropbear works and everything seems to be working as it should, but as soon as I either rename the old opt dir back to opt, dropbear doesn't work, and the telnet login is back to root, no password. Even if I create a blank /opt directory there, it still doesn't work right (figured it was a nice test). I even renamed my old rc.local to rc.local.OLD in case it was trying to run it. So I guess I should start with a fresh /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt directory, since it symlinks the /opt directory to that if it sees it.. I guess I need to go back over your old tutorials for your 1.0.4.6 firmware and rebuild it..?

Sorry to be a pain, life of an early adopter.

UPDATE THE UPDATE: RTFM, that's all I gotta say... I followed your instructions, copied /opt to /shares/MYVOLUME1, rebooted, and everything seems to be working wonderfully. There was definitely something about my old /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt directory it didn't like (probably has a lot to do with it missing your rc.local script lol), but I wasn't attached to it, so I just replaced it and it's working great.

Question though.. if I start changing anything in the web interface, is it going to re-write the passwd file like it use to? making it so I'd have to reboot the router (or at the very least attempt to run your fix scripts) to get it working right?

Kudos on a job well done sir! Nice to see someone has the skills and the desire to help us make this little white brick into something a bit more useful
    Last edited by fireflash; 24-01-2008 at 17:18.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-cool View Post
    Thank for your help.
    I have read the FAQ but due to I'm a newbie. So, I don't understand. T-T
    How ever I try this
    [u@h W]sudo -l bash
    sudo: not found

but I think I login as root ( because I use login name as root )
    so. I try this follow your suggestion
    OK, I think your problem is that you must already have a /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt directory. If this directory is present, the firmware assumes you want to use it in place of the static firmware /opt directory.

Follow the directions I gave to fireflash in this thread and read the documentation about upgrading from 1.0.4.6 to 1.0.7.8.

- K.C.

P.S. Along with KCSHELL, you'll have to define and export LD_LIBRARY_PATH and a reasonable PATH. This is illustrated in the /.profile on the router.
    Last edited by kfurge; 24-01-2008 at 18:20.

Still don't see kcsh in /opt though, but I did compare the md5 and they match, so it's definitely the right .nas file.
    My bad. I meant to say /bin/sh

Question though.. if I start changing anything in the web interface, is it going to re-write the passwd file like it use to?
    From what I've been able to tell, the passwd file is only updated upon reboot or when a user gets changed/updated in UBSA windows filesharing mode. In either case, I've not yet experienced the passwd file being completely rewritten without rc.local also being called.

- K.C.

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    Interesting... Perhaps back2basic can chime in here! Tonight I'll mirror it to the wl500g.info site which should preserve the filename.

To make sure you got the right file, confirm the md5 sum.

- K.C.
    Somehow all the files downloaded from wl700g.homelinux.net are renamed as 'drupal' maybe there is a fix for this,I'm gonne check it out.

Openwrt or Custom Firmware on asus? - http://wl700ge.hezik.nl/ - Http://wl700g.homelinux.net

My ASUS collection: WL500gp(80GB usb-hdd - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 7.09) | WL700gE(250GB - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 8.09rc1)

Quote Originally Posted by ice-cool View Post
    I install kfirge firmeware follow
    http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/?q=node/83

but in step 1.3 Installing optware packages topic 5
    Wrong version! The step 1.3 you're referring to is for the super old 1.0.4.6 version, not 1.0.7.8. For 1.0.7.8, you need to be here:

http://wl700ge.hezik.nl/ - http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/?q=node/134

- K.C.
    Last edited by Omega; 05-06-2013 at 20:47. Reason: fixed

Quote Originally Posted by back2basic View Post
    Somehow all the files downloaded from wl700g.homelinux.net are renamed as 'drupal' maybe there is a fix for this,I'm gonne check it out.
    I fixed that all files should be displayed with the proper name.

Openwrt or Custom Firmware on asus? - http://wl700ge.hezik.nl/ - Http://wl700g.homelinux.net

My ASUS collection: WL500gp(80GB usb-hdd - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 7.09) | WL700gE(250GB - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 8.09rc1)

Was mt-dappd updated, or is that still on the to-do list?

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast