Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WDS WPA-TKIP how-to

I have tryed the same settings with a difference.
    I use chanel 10.
    I don't use MAC filtering.
    I havent set my other router to AP but I did disable DHCP server.

WL-500gP (v1 or v2) in repeater mode (client+AP, not WDS)

Hello folks,

i've spent much time to read forums and articles but i'm still not sure whether this router is able (in the hardware) to act as a client to a "host" AP and in the same time act as a "secondary" AP to expand or repeat "host" AP's wireless. I don't want to use WDS since i don't have access to "host" AP and at the moment i really don't see any benefit of using it.

Examples and tutorials describes that one can do this with linksys WRT54G routers and with DD-WRT firmware (v24):
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
    And i found an article at openwrt.org with WRT54G (see first point):
    http://wiki.openwrt.org/Repeater

Some says that the broadcom chip has two wifi interfaces and therefore it can act as client and AP in the same time. All broadcom chips can do this???? Who knows that?
    Has anyone ever tried it with this ASUS? If yes, with which type of firmware and which type of HW version?

Thanks the answers in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Endrew View Post
    Hello folks,

i've spent much time to read forums and articles but i'm still not sure whether this router is able (in the hardware) to act as a client to a "host" AP and in the same time act as a "secondary" AP to expand or repeat "host" AP's wireless. I don't want to use WDS since i don't have access to "host" AP and at the moment i really don't see any benefit of using it.

Examples and tutorials describes that one can do this with linksys WRT54G routers and with DD-WRT firmware (v24):
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
    And i found an article at openwrt.org with WRT54G (see first point):
    http://wiki.openwrt.org/Repeater

Some says that the broadcom chip has two wifi interfaces and therefore it can act as client and AP in the same time. All broadcom chips can do this???? Who knows that?
    Has anyone ever tried it with this ASUS? If yes, with which type of firmware and which type of HW version?

Thanks the answers in advance!
    Hi,

my friend calls this feature duplex vs. simplex operation mode.

In GUI System Setup - Operation Mode
    Bridge is not supported.

AP
    In Access Point mode, all 5 Ethernet ports and wireless devices are set to locate in the same local area network. Those WAN related functions are not supported here.

Explaining with technical terms, access point mode is, NAT is disabled, one wan port and four lan ports of WL500g.PremiumV2 are bridged together.

Darius

Darius

Hello Darius,

unfortunately we aren't talking about the same thing as i understood you.

The communication mode you mentioned (simplex, half-duplex, full-duplex) is that the RF unit is an uni-directional(only transmit/or receive) or bi-directional(can transmit and receive - if it does both in the same time it is full-duplex).

Which firmware's GUI setup are talking about? Did you check the links i've inserted?

So describe again, i would like to establish a wireless connection between the "host" router and the ASUS, and create a wlan cloud with this ASUS router which my clients can connect to.
    Can this ASUS provide this function? (regardless of the firmware)

Quote Originally Posted by Endrew View Post
    Hello Darius,

unfortunately we aren't talking about the same thing as i understood you.

The communication mode you mentioned (simplex, half-duplex, full-duplex) is that the RF unit is an uni-directional(only transmit/or receive) or bi-directional(can transmit and receive - if it does both in the same time it is full-duplex).

Which firmware's GUI setup are talking about? Did you check the links i've inserted?

So describe again, i would like to establish a wireless connection between the "host" router and the ASUS, and create a wlan cloud with this ASUS router which my clients can connect to.
    Can this ASUS provide this function? (regardless of the firmware)
    I fully understand your problem.
    I was advised to learn if WL-500gP V2 was full-duplex,
    if yes there is a chance to set it into AP bridge or repeater mode.
    One issue is mac address.

Darius

Stations associated but not authorized

Hi

Following KGy's post, I get my 2 WL500gPv2's to be associated in the Wireless Status page but they appear not to be authorized.
    a/ I have disabled MAC filtering, so have not set the devices individually
    b/ on the TV box, Wireless/Advanced/Extended=Ethernet Bridge

A wireless laptop connects to MAIN and appears in the Stations list as
    associated authorized.

"wl autho_sta_list" returns nothing.

any tips on how to authorize the TV box so that packets travels between the two ?
    WL500gPv2 -- fw Oleg 1.9.2.7-d-r2381

WL-500gP (v1 or v2) in repeater mode (client+AP, not WDS)

Hi Endrew, I'm very interested in this issue because I'm in a situation similar to yours.

In particular: I have huawei e970 in first room connected to umts internet and some laptops connected via wireless with. In the second room I have the wl-500gp and I would like to connect it via wireless to the e970 because there is a printer connected via usb that I would like to share.

Did you solved it?

Many thanks, Paolo
    Last edited by pepaolo; 22-10-2009 at 17:09.

I need to know how to do this as well. I have a d-link wireless router, and would like to get the wl-500gp v2 to connect to it so that resources can be shared. I've tried bridging, etc. No luck. I am using the stock firmware (I know, I know) and would like to stick with it if possible.

WDS or AP = bridge?

I've read the 'extra' "WDS_Configuration_Guide_v1" (why isn't that included in the manual?!), but I still can't get my WL-500gP v2 to connect as a bridge in my network. I'm using the latest Asus fw. 3.0.4.4. Is there something more than selecting AP mode and entering the MAC address of the neighbouring router/AP? Or should it be WDS? Or Hybrid? I've tried all three, but none of them seem to work... Here's a bit of a diagram of my network:

Router <> AP1 <> AP2 <> WL-500gP AP

My printer (and USB HD) need to be at the far end of the network, so I'd really like to get this sorted out.

I've looked at this thread, and this one, and this one, but none of them have the answer I'm looking for.

Any help much appreciated!
    WL-500GP v2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12