Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Specs from Asus - Audio Streaming and Traffic Shaping

Smile New Firmware from Asus - Audio Streaming and Traffic Shaping

This is a press release from today, on http://www.asus.com/news/2004/20041207.htm

Taipei, Taiwan, Dec 7 2004 – ASUSTeK Computer Inc. (ASUS), a leading provider of high-performance wireless solutions, today introduced firmware upgrades of the WL -500g wireless USB router for three new exciting features! As multimedia data transmission such as voice, video, interactive gaming and P2P download grow in popularity, and more personal information is being shared wirelessly, the need for bandwidth prioritization and data secured privacy in the cyber world has become critical. The WL -500g now provides the latest technology including, bandwidth management, WMM support and WPA2 (Wi-Fi Protected Access) to enhance the data sharing experience and provides solutions to security concerns.
    Bandwidth Management - This function allows easy management of the selected applications (ports) or IP addresses in the network to prioritize bandwidth and optimize network resources. Internet connection will not slow down even when someone in the network is carrying out P2P download.
    WMM (Wi-Fi Multimedia) - This special feature controls bandwidth between the head-end (Access Point) and the client-end (computer), and users the option to decide if this feature should be enabled. Applications are sorted into four categories to which the amount of bandwidth is allocated accordingly. Users can now choose to prioritize programs and applications to ensure smooth operation as well as effective usage of resources.
    The WL -500g has a unique USB Plug-n'-share function, which allows wireless sharing of webcam images, hard disk data and printing functions. Also, via the WL -500g 's USB port, users can share and play music files wirelessly on Windows Media Player without any other software configurations. Music sharing has never been this easy before!

Armed with WPA2, which is based on the IEEE 802.11i standard, the WL -500g ensures all data is private and access to the network is restricted to authorized users only. WPA2 provides more advanced encryption mechanism compared with WPA through the government and corporate grade security protection system, AES. Just download the new firmware from the ASUS website and enjoy this security upgrade.
    However, I could not find the firmware update in the download section
    Last edited by Antiloop; 08-12-2004 at 00:36. Reason: corrected URL

the news is gone. your link doesn't work.

find mirror here in case they would decide to take it offline, but they have changed specs for WL500g as well

http://www.chupa.nl/mirror/www.asus....4/20041207.htm

according to asus it seems it is also (going to) support WPA2

find here the PDF for compatible speakers:

http://www.chupa.nl/mirror/www.asus....ility_list.pdf

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

The new Plug 'n' Speaker is a funny feature. This should make it easy to create a standalone mp3 station if you connect a HDD as well.

Well, link is fine, but no firmware available for download yet.

Looks like they've finally included bplay in the build.

Could someone mirror the image in my original post and change the link? Just in case...

Also, I apologize for having posted in the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by ghaspias
    Could someone mirror the image in my original post and change the link? Just in case...

Also, I apologize for having posted in the wrong place.
    see this post.. http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=7808&postcount=3

normally you can also just attach the image to your post, than it is always mirrored

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

I have sent an email to asus asking for the firmware. I just got VoIP at home, so i really need the Bandwith management feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Azaz
    I have sent an email to asus asking for the firmware. I just got VoIP at home, so i really need the Bandwith management feature.
    for bandwidth you could use (beta) firmware 1.8.2.4
    available in the firmware section, also available at the asus site

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    for bandwidth you could use (beta) firmware 1.8.2.4
    available in the firmware section, also available at the asus site
    on that firmware it still doesn't work on the upload part.. the one that makes the diference for voip

Quote Originally Posted by Dante_
    on that firmware it still doesn't work on the upload part.. the one that makes the diference for voip
    then you should use a custom firmware
    and setup a script for WonderShaper

The 1.9.2.7 firmware from asus is available.
    1. Add: Wireless Speaker.
    2. Add: WMM/WPA2 Support.
    3. 3. Add: Bandwidth Management
    4. 4. Add: MAC Filter for LAN and WLAN
    5. 5. Add: Local port for Virtual Server
    6. 4. Fix: monitor for WAN Die and Web Cam die
    8. Note1: Using this firmware on WL500g, the range of wireless transmission will be shortened because of the power of tx is lower.
    9. Note2: The Wireless speaker support aiff, asf, asx, au, avi, dat, mp3, mpeg, wav, wma, wmv and DO NOT support mid

I have now installed this firmware and has begun testing the bandwith management. I try to make my VoIP get priority. It seems that when i am using up my bandwith with bittorrent and i make a call, the bandwith management kicks in on the download side, but nothing seems to happen with the upload. I am not sure it is even working with upload speed.

14. Why they decrease the power, somebody know the new tx power ?

8. Note1: Using this firmware on WL500g, the range of wireless transmission will be shortened because of the power of tx is lower.

Unhappy Speakers

Hi, is there anyone who get it work (speakers via usb)?

I installed asus plugin into media player and connect usb audio card (Sonica).
    In Settings menu I can see "Device not found".

Is there any other additional settings in WL-500g or somewhere else?
    Or try to guess what could be wrong.

Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast