Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom 1.0.7.8 firmware is ready to download

Quote Originally Posted by fireflash View Post
    It is the original drive, the Hitachi drive. I tried killing nas, waveservermain, rcamdmain (which seems to have killed my 'Ready' light ?!), and watchdog, and issued the command and it still spins right back up after a few seconds. I don't know what else to kill.
    OK. There's one final place to look. Make sure "mount" shows nodiratime and noatime as below:

/dev/se/2 on /shares/MYVOLUME1 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
    /dev/se/2 on /opt type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

If these options are not set then any time an applications reads from the HDD the access time will be updated causing a write to the HDD.

You set these options with:

mount -o remount,noatime,nodiratime /shares/MYVOLUME1

- K.C.

Quote Originally Posted by marcolino View Post
    and no passwords are good. No way to gain control. I am stuck.
    I'm seeing a trend here... The conversion of rc.local from 1.0.4.6 to 1.0.7.8 can be somewhat difficult and many people are getting stuck with no ability to log in. Unfortunately, unless you put the copy button bypass into *your* rc.local, the bypass does not work.

In retrospect, the bypass is in the wrong spot. It should be in /apps/bin/rcex which mounts the /opt directory and executes rc.local. That way pressing the copy button will *force* a boot with the firmware's /opt directory which is known to work. I'll be uploading an updated firmware image shortly which addresses this issue.

- K.C.

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    OK. There's one final place to look. Make sure "mount" shows nodiratime and noatime as below:

/dev/se/2 on /shares/MYVOLUME1 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
    /dev/se/2 on /opt type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

If these options are not set then any time an applications reads from the HDD the access time will be updated causing a write to the HDD.

You set these options with:

mount -o remount,noatime,nodiratime /shares/MYVOLUME1

- K.C.
    Nope, that ain't it either.. both are mounted correctly. I'm gonna try something silly like disabling my wireless.. Just had a silly thought.. And I'm not using it right now anyways.

Nope, that ain't it either.. both are mounted correctly. I'm gonna try something silly like disabling my wireless.. Just had a silly thought.. And I'm not using it right now anyways.
    I think I have the answer (again...). Spindown seems hit-or-miss without "smartctl -dT" to disable SMART.

Add "smartctl -dT ${internal_hdd}" to your rc.local and see if it stays spun down.

- K.C.

I think I have the answer (again...). Spindown seems hit-or-miss without "smartctl -dT" to disable SMART.

Add "smartctl -dT ${internal_hdd}" to your rc.local and see if it stays spun down.

- K.C.
    I seem to recall the same command in the old rc.local I'll give it a whirl and see what it does later tonight when I've stopped playing music off of it.

I seem to recall the same command in the old rc.local I'll give it a whirl and see what it does later tonight when I've stopped playing music off of it.
    Yea. I was hoping I could keep SMART enabled. It would be nice to have the smart status available. Wish full thinking, I guess.

- K.C.

Another quick release

I've posted another release to help those who are locking themselves out with bad rc.local startup scripts. Please read this link for details:

http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/?q=node/193

The image can be downloaded from here:

http://www.wl500g.info/files/asus/cu...kc_1078_02.nas

or here:

http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/?q=node/134

- K.C.

Yea. I was hoping I could keep SMART enabled. It would be nice to have the smart status available. Wish full thinking, I guess.

- K.C.
    Yes, it would. but the good news is, that seems to have done the trick, it just went to sleep.

I'm another telnet/unix/linux newbie here.... please bare with my stupidity..

I'm able to install the customer firmware perfectly. My stupidity was to change my BT client port and tracker port to the same port#.. Now, mldonkey wouldn't start.. here is the log for mlnet.log

Code:
    2008/01/27 00:14:02 [bTM] BT-client_port and BT-tracker_port can not be the same.
    2008/01/27 00:14:02 [bTM] Change one of the settings and restart MLDonkey, exiting...
    so I tried editing the bittorrent.ini files, but no success as the file is no attribute for write access.. I suspect mldonkey is still running? I tried turning it off, by doing nvram set kc_run_mldonkey=No. but no success also.

tried force change attribute, still no go... Can you experts point me to a possible resolution? thanks.

monkey8

Quote Originally Posted by monkey8 View Post
    I'm another telnet/unix/linux newbie here.... please bare with my stupidity..

I'm able to install the customer firmware perfectly. My stupidity was to change my BT client port and tracker port to the same port#.. Now, mldonkey wouldn't start.. here is the log for mlnet.log

Code:
    2008/01/27 00:14:02 [bTM] BT-client_port and BT-tracker_port can not be the same.
    2008/01/27 00:14:02 [bTM] Change one of the settings and restart MLDonkey, exiting...
    so I tried editing the bittorrent.ini files, but no success as the file is no attribute for write access.. I suspect mldonkey is still running? I tried turning it off, by doing nvram set kc_run_mldonkey=No. but no success also.

tried force change attribute, still no go... Can you experts point me to a possible resolution? thanks.

monkey8
    *NEVER MIND THIS. Bear with me, i have hangovers and have only slept for like 5 hours :-P*
    Your problem is that you have both the client_port and tracker_port set to the same value. The tracker_port defines what port MLDonkey will use if you want to run your own tracker, where the client_port is the port being used to download torrents. Just reset tracker_port to its default value (6881) and only change client_port.

have you tried to open the file starting with the sudo command? (Eg. "sudo nano bittorrent.ini")? Or change the permissions (sudo chmod bittorrent.ini 777)?
    Last edited by Henrikh; 27-01-2008 at 10:50.

I just want to add a hint to the new WL700gE_kc_1078_02.nas image instruction.

WAIT for it. As written by kfurge, the ready lamp will blink.

After installing this on my brick, my ready lamp came back on, no flashing at all. After 3 Minutes of hdd activity, it suddenly started flashing!

Right now i am successfully connected via telnet and trying to fix all the mess.
    Where our calculations fail we talk about coincidence.
    Albert Einstein

First of all, I want to thank kfurge for doing such a great job. Without this custom image, this router has only small part its powers.

Now goes the question
    I've successfully installed the image and set up MLDonkey. However, MLDonkey seems to eat all available CPU time:

Code:
      PID  PPID USER     STAT   VSZ %MEM %CPU COMMAND
      541     1 root     R    40340  65%  93% /opt/bin/mlnet.lite -allowed_ips 127.
      582   580 root     S N  40340  65%   3% /opt/bin/mlnet.lite -allowed_ips 127.
      191     1 root     S     4880   8%   1% upnp -D -L br0 -W eth0
      588   587 admin    R     1792   3%   1% top
        4     1 root     RWN      0   0%   0% [ksoftirqd_CPU0]
        5     1 root     SW       0   0%   0% [kswapd]
      580   541 root     S    40340  65%   0% /opt/bin/mlnet.lite -allowed_ips 127.
    MLDonkey web interface loads for ages. It takes several minutes to fully load transfers page.

Is it normal, or I have misconfigured something?

Thumbs up

I've posted another release to help those who are locking themselves out with bad rc.local startup scripts.
    So far, so good! Thanks for the great custom firmware, KC.

LK

thanks kfurge for your newfirmware and the work on it...

i will test it today.

grat182

Thumbs up

I too want to thank Kfurge, i havent tested everything, but so far its running nice and smooth.

Great JOB!
    Where our calculations fail we talk about coincidence.
    Albert Einstein

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast