Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 174

Thread: Custom 1.0.7.8 firmware is ready to download

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflash View Post
    Was mt-dappd updated, or is that still on the to-do list?
    Unless Asus did it (they updated samba, I didn't check mt-daapd), it's still on the to-do list.

    - K.C.
    Last edited by kfurge; 24-01-2008 at 20:40.

  2. #17
    Just flashed my white box to 1078 kfurge. The funny thing is - I thought it didn't work. I used web interface and selected the file, and then screen went blank, URL was something on flashing progress, but page said "done." and nothing was happening. PC wasn't transfering anything, and I waited and waited, had another cigarette.... nothing.

    The internet was working, though, so I said, no go. I said i'll restart the router and try again, but router wouldn't react to nothing. power button just didn't do anything.

    So after a while I gave up, and unplugged the power cable. After the damn thing booted, I normally logged on to web interface and... it said 1.0.7.8 !!! (was 1.0.4.6)

    Cool! :-)

    Now... how does one add .torrent files to MLDonkey???? :-)

  3. #18
    Mine did something similar. When I flashed it using the web interface, it went through the motions, then said it was going to reboot, but it didn't. So I just let it sit there and spin it's wheels, then it came back to the web interface like nothing had happened.. So I had to make it reboot, after that, it was all good.

    To add torrents to mldonkey, go to the mldonkey interface page, and copy and paste the .torrent url into the DL box.

  4. #19

    KC, awesome job...

    Just updated to 1078. All worked fine via the web interface - none of the oddities reported above.

    Couple of things: if i reboot the unit (from the web interface, cos the asus is physically upstairs and i'm lazy) and telnet in, i can work for a bit (with different prompt) before connection is dropped/kicked after say 30secs. then when i log back in, the login prompt is different; all good tho!

    Done as said: renamed old opt dir /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt to something else, and copied the 'new' /opt in place to start afresh from. However,
    doing 'ipkg update' gives me the following, and i can't add any new packages afterwards (e.g. optware-devel etc)

    Code:
    $ ipkg update
    Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable/Packages.gz
    wget: missing URL
    Usage: wget [OPTION]... [URL]...
    
    Try `wget --help' for more options.
    An error ocurred, return value: 1.
    Collected errors:
    ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget    -q -P  http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable/Packages.gz'
    also, whenever i try to do 'sudo bash' i get something about /opt/etc/sudoers being owned by gid 42000 should be 0.

    but i love the whole 'press copy button to use default boot' - great solution to mucked up rc.local, and finally a fix for /bin/sh -> /opt/bin/bash. great stuff.

    UPDATE: ok ok ok...so my asus couldn't actually access the wider world (was reset to gateway mode not access point which is how i normally have it). so ipkg thing fixed, but the sudo oddity still there...
    Last edited by neil; 24-01-2008 at 23:01.

  5. #20
    Yeeeeehaaaaa big thx, cheers everyone!!!

  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    also, whenever i try to do 'sudo bash' i get something about /opt/etc/sudoers being owned by gid 42000 should be 0.
    Something must have happened when the file got copied... The 42000 GID is indicative of an Asus made user. Maybe you didn't copy it as root? The firmware image has the UID:GID for all files set to 0:0.

    Fixing is easy with chgrp, though other sudo related files are probably also broken.

    - K.C.

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    Couple of things: if i reboot the unit (from the web interface, cos the asus is physically upstairs and i'm lazy) and telnet in, i can work for a bit (with different prompt) before connection is dropped/kicked after say 30secs. then when i log back in, the login prompt is different; all good tho!
    The first shell is started by the Asus code, but is completely insecure without the firewall enabled (though not having the firewall enabled is suicidal anyway). So, in rc.local I kill the Asus telnet and start my own to close the hole. That's when you get kicked off. This is a good FAQ item.

    - K.C.

  8. #23
    One small thing: i've taken my asus to work, so i can mess with it during lunchtime to get everything sorted; this has inadvertently led me to set the IP address to a duff value that means i can no longer access it.

    so i hold down reset for 10 seconds, which i thought just reset the settings, then reboot - i can access it again (via 192.168.1.1) but the firmware has been reset to 1.0.4.6 -> which obviously means reflashing all over again...is there a better way to just reset to factory settings, without reverting the flash??

  9. #24

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    OK, I think your problem is that you must already have a /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt directory. If this directory is present, the firmware assumes you want to use it in place of the static firmware /opt directory.

    Follow the directions I gave to fireflash in this thread and read the documentation about upgrading from 1.0.4.6 to 1.0.7.8.

    - K.C.

    P.S. Along with KCSHELL, you'll have to define and export LD_LIBRARY_PATH and a reasonable PATH. This is illustrated in the /.profile on the router.
    I try to start at first step again by
    remove all file in /shares/MYVOLUME1
    except MYSHARE1,__share_MYSHARE1_vars.txt,bin,etc

    And I re-flashing via web interface with WL700gE_kc_1078_01.nas
    after that I press reset button for 10 second
    and run EZsetup again

    Everything seem ok.
    I can telnet to router as Admin and can Sudo bash -l to gain root
    I start MLDONKEY follow http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/?q=node/190
    But I can't open MLDONKEY web interface http://192.168.1.1:4080
    and MYSHARE in ASUS web interface ( I can't access share, And I can't create new share )

    Am I do a big mistake ? (remove all file in /shares/MYVOLUME1 )
    T-T
    Can I fix it ?

  10. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by ice-cool View Post
    I
    Am I do a big mistake ? (remove all file in /shares/MYVOLUME1 )
    Erasing everything in /shares/MYVOLUME1 was probably not the best idea... I'm not sure how to recover from that.

    Regarding MLDonkey, the startup output is in /tmp/mldonkey.out. It'll show you why it's not starting. I suspect it's because you don't have a /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1 any more.

    - K.C.
    Last edited by kfurge; 25-01-2008 at 14:44. Reason: Confirm mldonkey.out

  11. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    so i hold down reset for 10 seconds, which i thought just reset the settings, then reboot - i can access it again (via 192.168.1.1) but the firmware has been reset to 1.0.4.6 -> which obviously means reflashing all over again...is there a better way to just reset to factory settings, without reverting the flash??
    I've run across this once or twice in the past. For sure your flash is not being reverted. There's not enough room in it to store two copies. The .nas file consists of two parts, the flash part and a filesystem part. Only the kernel and a very small filesystem reside in the flash. There are two cramfs partitions (I use the term loosely since they're not truly partitions) on the routers HDD which hold the "firmware" contained within the filesystem segment. The router seems to toggle back and forth between them when a .nas file is flashed into it.

    I believe you're experiencing a failsafe built into the flash copy of "init" to protect against corruption or failure to one of the cramfs partitions on the HDD. If the reset button is pressed, I think it forces the router to boot from a previously good partition.

    I would suspect that flashing the router twice, with a successful boot in between, would completely flush out any old images.

    Can you experiment with this concept a bit and try to figure out its behavior?

    - K.C.
    Last edited by kfurge; 25-01-2008 at 14:38.

  12. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    I've run across this once or twice in the past. For sure your flash is not being reverted. There's not enough room in it to store two copies. The .nas file consists of two parts, the flash part and a filesystem part. Only the kernel and a very small filesystem reside in the flash. There are two cramfs partitions (I use the term loosely since they're not truly partitions) on the routers HDD which hold the "firmware" contained within the filesystem segment. The router seems to toggle back and forth between them when a .nas file is flashed into it.

    I believe you're experiencing a failsafe built into the flash copy of "init" to protect against corruption or failure to one of the cramfs partitions on the HDD. If the reset button is pressed, I think it forces the router to boot from a previously good partition.

    I would suspect that flashing the router twice, with a successful boot in between, would completely flush out any old images.

    Can you experiment with this concept a bit and try to figure out its behavior?

    - K.C.

    will do...

    (and then its time to get cups working again; latest svn 1.4.x fixes the bug that's in the current optware package, so i'll try and compile that one rather than reverting back to the 1.2.12 that i had working under old firmware)

  13. #28
    Just flashed your firmware, and had no problems at all after deleting my old opt directory (Was filled with a lot of crap anyways :-)).

    Seems to work very impressive, MLDonkey worked out of the box, same with SSH. Thank you very much for this impressive firmware, you have really improved Asus default firmware

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    244

    how to rename opt?

    Hi,

    Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    When migrating from 1.0.4.6, I'd recommend temporarily renaming /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt to /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt.DO_NOT_LOAD so that the /opt filesystem from the firmware image is executed.

    After that, combine the new 1.0.7.8 rc.local with your old 1.0.4.6 rc.local, rename opt.DO_NOT_LOAD back to opt, and reboot the router.
    - K.C.
    I assume your image contains a 'default' /opt that contains /opt/etc/rc.local. I also assume /.profile is there 'somewhere'. I can't find it. But I did the minimal thing: copied my rc.local to /opt/etc. That is to my /opt, because I ran your previous firmware.
    Now, I like to do what you suggest. But how? /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt is mounted to /opt and always busy (mv: cannot rename 'opt': Device or resource busy).
    Should I first rename rc.local to something not functional? But will your rc.local than take over (after reboot), and again mount /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt ?

    Sorry, I'm a bit
    Marc

  15. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
    I assume your image contains a 'default' /opt that contains /opt/etc/rc.local. I also assume /.profile is there 'somewhere'. I can't find it. But I did the minimal thing: copied my rc.local to /opt/etc. That is to my /opt, because I ran your previous firmware.
    Now, I like to do what you suggest. But how? /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt is mounted to /opt and always busy (mv: cannot rename 'opt': Device or resource busy).
    Should I first rename rc.local to something not functional? But will your rc.local than take over (after reboot), and again mount /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt ?
    Sorry, my mistake on the .profile, I set this up a while ago... The default bash profile is in /opt/etc/profile.

    Regarding your /opt problem...

    The firmware looks for /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt and if it's there, then it mounts /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt over the top of the /opt that's already there and attempts to execute /opt/etc/rc.local. Which rc.local gets executed depends on whether or not /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt exists or not.

    To insure the flashed copy of /opt is active, you need to rename /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt (not /opt) to something else:

    cd /shares/MYVOLUME1
    mv opt opt.DO_NOT_LOAD
    reboot

    When the router boots again, what's in /opt is the flashed filesystem. Do what you need to do to the /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt.DO_NOT_LOAD/etc/rc.local. After that, repeat the above steps, except step #2 which becomes "mv opt.DO_NOT_LOAD opt" to put everything back.

    Lather, rinse, repeat until everything works...

    - K.C.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Installing Optware Packages on Asus Firmware 1.0.7.8
    By emailpr in forum WL-700g Firmware Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-01-2008, 02:13
  2. wan to lan filter on default firmware 1.0.7.8?
    By nully in forum WL-700g Firmware Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-11-2007, 00:36
  3. Custom Firmware v1.1.2.7
    By JOCKYW2001 in forum WL-HDD Firmware Releases
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 11-12-2004, 13:26

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •