Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom 1.0.7.8 firmware is ready to download

Quote Originally Posted by Henrikh View Post
    Just flashed your firmware, and had no problems at all after deleting my old opt directory (Was filled with a lot of crap anyways :-)).

Seems to work very impressive, MLDonkey worked out of the box, same with SSH. Thank you very much for this impressive firmware, you have really improved Asus default firmware
    Yeah! Finally success for someone!

- K.C.

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    will do...

(and then its time to get cups working again; latest svn 1.4.x fixes the bug that's in the current optware package, so i'll try and compile that one rather than reverting back to the 1.2.12 that i had working under old firmware)
    How broken is the optware CUPS? That's been my primary (read lazy) way of adding features to the router. Is it unusable?

If so, I guess I'll have to build and install it on the router.

- K.C.

time to nit-pick. Something keeps accessing the hard drive, so the drive won't power down. MLDonkey is disabled, and so is the media server.. Not much is running on it except what it needs to do it's job. I could try and kill watchdog just for giggles and see what it does.. Any suggestions?

Unhappy warning?

thanks everyone and most specially to kfurge for all your effort...

anyway, i am getting this warning.. any thoughts?

i just installed this custom firmware version 1.0.7.8 from version 2.0.0.7 via web upload.. at first nothing happened because my box doesnt reboot by itself nor even by the power button in front.. yeah, i know thats really weird.. so i then reset the box totally... and after the reboot, it reverted back to custom firmware version 1.0.4.6... i didnt know where it came from.. anyway, i tried installing the custom firmware version 1.0.7.8 via web upload and everything looks ok... except that i could not log in to the telnet using admin account so i login as root...

i read somewhere you mentioned that i kindoff store the previous firmware as sort of backup or something maybe thats why it reverted back to 1.0.4.6 from 2.0.0.7...

then i noticed that mldonkey is not starting up on its own via the rc.local script.. so i just start it myself after i login via telnet and check the logs and get this messege...

WARNING: Directory /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/.mldonkey is full, MLDonkey shuts down

does this means i dont have enough free space?

Code:
    [root@(none) MYSHARE1]$ df -h
    Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                   67.1M     67.1M         0 100% /
    /dev/root                 1.3M      1.3M         0 100% /mnt
    /dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part2
                             67.1M     67.1M         0 100% /
    if its is and so... how do i clean up and free up some space? HELP! ='(
    Last edited by exbliss; 26-01-2008 at 02:37.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflash View Post
    time to nit-pick. Something keeps accessing the hard drive, so the drive won't power down. MLDonkey is disabled, and so is the media server.. Not much is running on it except what it needs to do it's job. I could try and kill watchdog just for giggles and see what it does.. Any suggestions?
    It's not watchdog. Try disabling more applications. You can speed up the trial and error process by issuing the following command from a terminal window:

hdparm -y /dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

Keep disabling applications and doing this until the drive stays spun down for at least 60 seconds.

FWIW, the drive does not completely spin down with this firmware. It enters a low RPM mode which reduces drive wear and tear at spin up.

- K.C.

Quote Originally Posted by exbliss View Post
    WARNING: Directory /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/.mldonkey is full, MLDonkey shuts down
    You have some strange stuff going on. Your primary data partition on the HDD is not there! You should have a /dev/se/2 mounted on /shares/MYVOLUME1.

My output looks like:

[root@WL700gE cups]$ df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 67.1M 67.1M 0 100% /
    /dev/root 1.3M 1.3M 0 100% /mnt
    /dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 67.1M 67.1M 0 100% /
    /dev/se/2 232.3G 170.6M 232.1G 0% /shares/MYVOLUME1
    /dev/se/2 232.3G 170.6M 232.1G 0% /opt

I'd recommend completely purging the router of the 2.0.xx settings by pressing the recessed reset button while powering up the router. You may have to reflash the 1.0.7.8 image after this.

- K.C.
    Last edited by kfurge; 26-01-2008 at 02:39.

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    You have some strange stuff going on. Your primary data partition on the HDD is not there! You should have a /dev/se/2 mounted on /shares/MYVOLUME1.

I'd recommend completely purging the router of the 2.0.xx settings by pressing the recessed reset button while powering up the router. You may have to reflash the 1.0.7.8 image after this.

- K.C.
    Oh my god! now that you mentioned, yeah i realized its missing.. in the web it says unmounted and there isnt any option to mount it... in the explorer, \\192.168.1.1 doesnt have the share forlder...

what have i done?!?!

i have already reset it a couple of times already and reflash it again and its still not mounting... is there anything i can mount this manually?

It's not watchdog. Try disabling more applications. You can speed up the trial and error process by issuing the following command from a terminal window:

hdparm -y /dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

Keep disabling applications and doing this until the drive stays spun down for at least 60 seconds.

FWIW, the drive does not completely spin down with this firmware. It enters a low RPM mode which reduces drive wear and tear at spin up.

- K.C.
    if I disable anything else the poor thing will stop working! I'll see what else I can kill, but it's running just enough to do what it needs to do, nothing special.

Edit: Here's what I've got running:

PID Uid VSZ Stat Command
    1 root 9116 S init
    2 root SW< [keventd]
    3 root SW [events/0]
    4 root SWN [ksoftirqd_CPU0]
    5 root SW [kswapd]
    6 root SW [bdflush]
    7 root SW [kupdated]
    8 root SW [mtdblockd]
    9 root SW [khubd]
    14 root SW< [mdrecoveryd]
    74 root SW< [ksed]
    75 root SW [ksechanged]
    77 root SW [gpio_out_pulse]
    78 root SW [button_notify_u]
    106 root SW< [raid1d]
    111 root SW< [raid1d]
    120 root SW [kreiserfsd]
    195 root 3600 S syslogd -R 255.255.255.255
    197 root 3552 S klogd
    199 root 11040 S httpd 80 y
    201 root 11020 S httpd 8080 share_browsing
    207 root 4908 S upnp -D -L br0 -W eth0
    208 root 4708 S nas /tmp/nas.lan.conf /tmp/nas.lan.pid lan
    217 root 1880 S udhcpd /tmp/udhcpd_lan.conf
    221 root 2188 S dnsmasq -i br0 -r /tmp/resolv.conf
    228 root 8520 S /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd
    241 root 1856 S udhcpc -i eth0 -p /var/run/udhcpc.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -H Routerhosen
    242 root 6792 S /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd
    267 root 8520 S /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd
    275 root 5824 S waveservermain
    277 root 5824 S rcamdmain
    278 root 4808 S infosvr br0
    289 root 5824 S usbcopymain
    512 root 2164 S utelnetd -d -i br0
    519 root 1364 S /opt/sbin/dropbear
    4235 root 1444 R /opt/sbin/dropbear
    4236 admin 2108 S -bash
    4237 root 2108 S bash
    4242 root 1792 R ps
    Last edited by fireflash; 26-01-2008 at 03:50.

BIG problem witch rc.local

Am not experienced with linux, anyway i tried to upgrade to kfurge version.
    After plain installation I didn't have the new telnet interface and I was not able to run mldonkey (changes do not commit to nvram, "nvram show" seems to be unchanged).
    I was playing with rc.local for a while, so i had copy rc.local form /opt/etc to /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt/etc and BIG MISTAKE I deleted rc.local from /opt/etc. After reboot I was no more able to gain login access to system trough a telnet session. Telnet has old interface and system ask for a login and a password but no name/password satisfy the request. My windows is USBA.
    Please, what can I do?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by exbliss View Post
    Oh my god! now that you mentioned, yeah i realized its missing.. in the web it says unmounted and there isnt any option to mount it... in the explorer, \\192.168.1.1 doesnt have the share forlder...

what have i done?!?!

i have already reset it a couple of times already and reflash it again and its still not mounting... is there anything i can mount this manually?
    i did my homework and took crash course on unix 101 and... eureka! it turns outs i just had corrupted partition table.. so i just fixed with fdisk and rebooted a couple of times after reconfiguring stuff and al... and walla! everything is perfect! Thanks kfurge! your the best!

Quote Originally Posted by marcolino View Post
    Am not experienced with linux, anyway i tried to upgrade to kfurge version.
    After plain installation I didn't have the new telnet interface and I was not able to run mldonkey (changes do not commit to nvram, "nvram show" seems to be unchanged).
    I was playing with rc.local for a while, so i had copy rc.local form /opt/etc to /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt/etc and BIG MISTAKE I deleted rc.local from /opt/etc. After reboot I was no more able to gain login access to system trough a telnet session. Telnet has old interface and system ask for a login and a password but no name/password satisfy the request. My windows is USBA.
    Please, what can I do?
    Well the easiest option would be to reflash with the kfurge 1.0.7.8 firmware, connect via telnet. Enter "root" as username, and you should not be prompted for a password.

This is because (as far as i understand) that firmware has programmed the firmware to mount the /shares/MYVOLUME/opt as /opt if it finds any. This means that none of his included goodies will be loaded, and therefore you can not SSH to the router and so on

rm -R /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt

When you reboot, the firmware no longer finds an /shares/MYVOLUMe1/opt directory, and will therefore use the /opt directory included in the firmwares filesystem. You should now be able to connect via SSH or telnet, and use the password/username you use in the webinterface.

Alternateively, you will need to rename your old opt directory by doing:
    * mv /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt_DO_NOT_LOAD
    * Reboot
    * Copy the contents of /opt to /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt_DO_NOT_LOAD
    * Rename the /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt_DO_NOT_LOAD to /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt
    * Reboot

Anyways i would strongly recommend to just delete your old opt directory. I did so because i was afraid the some of my files would interfere with the files Kfurge has included. I had no problems at all after deleting my old opt directory.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflash View Post
    if I disable anything else the poor thing will stop working! I'll see what else I can kill, but it's running just enough to do what it needs to do, nothing special.

Edit: Here's what I've got running:
    The only think you have running that I don't is, nas, PID 208. What's that? One other thought... Are you using the original HDD or did you change it out?

What happens when you use the hdparm command? Does the drive spin back up immediately?

- K.C.

The Battle of the Two rc.locals, a novel by K.C.Furge

Regarding your /opt problem...

The firmware looks for /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt and if it's there, then it mounts /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt over the top of the /opt that's already there and attempts to execute /opt/etc/rc.local. Which rc.local gets executed depends on whether or not /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt exists or not.
    [cut]
    Lather, rinse, repeat until everything works...
    - K.C.
    Hi, thanks, this just confirms my dark thoughts... So, as the Old formerware user, I see The Battle of Two rc.locals, fighting each other with fierce strength, until one passes away. Awry!
    Here we have the K.C.Furge soldier that sets KCSHELL and names asoc in the LIB-path, en there we have my formerware fellow with his evel sword: mount -o bind /shares/${pool}/opt /opt. Wow! Klang! That wipes away our new brave fellow in /opt/etc. No! Too much dust and smoke is smashed into my eyes! It's not my brave rc.local thats doing the killing. It's the treacherous, evil rcex that stabs K.C.Furge's rc.local in the back, with it's mount bind.

As spectator of this fight I once logged in as marc and had no hostname, then with export I saw KCSHELL and asoc, which my rc.local does not have. Apparently your rc.local was executing. After sudo bash -l I did have a hostname 'sneeuwwitje', that is from my rc.local. That does its ugly mount -o bind /shares/${pool}/opt /opt.
    With mount I saw this as the last lines:
    /dev/se/2 on /opt type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
    /dev/se/2 on /opt type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

Henrikh likes to delete his old opt. But that is no opt(ion) for me. I have mt-daapd and Twonky running, and so much time spent there. I want to tear these rc.locals apart. So I go for the renaming of my opt, if possible.

Thanks again for clarifying, maybe it eventually can lead to a better documentation for the formerware users.

Marc
    Last edited by mumsoft; 27-01-2008 at 13:11. Reason: dust and smoke

rc.local problem

many tanks for your prompt respons, but i forget to mention that i have already tried to reflash three times without results.

Just after telneting is shown:

(none) login:

and no passwords are good. No way to gain control. I am stuck.

Any suggestion will greatly appreciated.

The only think you have running that I don't is, nas, PID 208. What's that? One other thought... Are you using the original HDD or did you change it out?

What happens when you use the hdparm command? Does the drive spin back up immediately?

- K.C.
    I thought NAS was another form of network disc access... fat lot of good that does though, I can't get anything to connect to it :P Samba works with everything, so far.

It is the original drive, the Hitachi drive. I tried killing nas, waveservermain, rcamdmain (which seems to have killed my 'Ready' light ?!), and watchdog, and issued the command and it still spins right back up after a few seconds. I don't know what else to kill.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast