My first How-To, so if its not right, just nag me until I change it

So why fuppes? One of the attractive uses of the Wl700ge is as a media server, using my newly acquired Xbox360 as the player. Now, there's a bunch of UPnP media servers out there which will play nice with the Asus box, but principally there are 3 key players:

1) TwonkyMedia: haven't tried, but everyone who uses it says its good. Search these forums for instructions on getting it running, but it costs money. Not much money, but that's still more than I can afford right now.

2) Ushare: I've tried this, there's an optware package available, its easy to configure, and it worked real nice with my Xbox360. Free. However, it presents all my music as one big huge file list. I want it broken down into albums, even genres/artists etc. According to the author of ushare, it's because it doesn't support metadata extraction, and he says there's no plans to do so.

3) Fuppes. The new kid on the block, there's an optware package available, and it has xbox360 support builtin. Further, it has virtual folder creation support built in, meaning it should be able to organise the files according to album/artist/genre etc as desired.

For me, its a no-brainer. Use Fuppes. And then the problems begin...the optware package in the normal ipkg place is old (0.7.1) and is pre-box360 support, and pre-virtual folder support. So I need to compile my own version, and having never done so before on the asus, I thought this would serve as a useful tutorial for others - and hopefully you can return the favour by fixing some of my outstanding issues (see later).

(I'm assuming you're running KFurge custom firmware 1.0.4.6)

Firstly, get the compiler and support:

Code:
ipkg install -force-overwrite buildroot
ipkg install -force-overwrite optware-dev
ipkg install mktemp
Then, get the latest Fuppes source code (I used SVN586) from subversion repository. I used subversion on the PC to get it, and then copied the files onto my Asus, but I noticed there is an SVN optware package ("ipkg install svn" ?) if you wanted to go that route.

Code:
cd /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1
mkdir fuppes
svn co http://fuppes-svn.ulrich-voelkel.de/trunk fuppes
For me, this gets the code into my default share, so I can access from Windows machine. Before configuring/compiling, go this 'fuppes' source directory, and change all instances within the files of /bin/sh to /opt/bin/bash (assuming you have bash shell installed). Then, create the config files to get ready for 'make'

Code:
autoreconf -vfi
And this is where the fun starts. Chances are you'll get a bunch of 'not found' stuff on doing this. You'll need to go through many of the tools in /opt/bin and change the start lines from (#!/bin/sh to #!/opt/bin/bash) - these will be e.g. 'autoreconf' 'libtool' etc etc - I'd list exactly which they are but I've changed them now, so don't really want to go back to fresh machine at this point! (maybe if you follow this, you could list for others). Eventually it will succeed. I had a bunch of warnings such as something to do with split files or some such, but these never bothered me. You might need to repeat the process until its all done with no errors.

Then, it will have created config scripts etc - go through any new files in the fuppes directory and again change these for /bin/sh instances to /opt/bin/bash. When ready do:

Code:
./configure --prefix=/opt --disable-transcoding
(This is for building without transcoding: don't fancy the idea of runing transcoding on our humble asus - if anyone else gets it working, and you'll need further tools such as ffmpeg/lame/imagemagick, then please let me know)

This should (SHOULD) now create the Makefiles you'll need. It may also give 'not found' errors - as before, try and work out what /opt/bin tools need their shells changing to /opt/bin/bash, and list here if need be.

Eventually you'll get a Makefile in this directory and a subsequent one in the 'src' directory. Any other files created, again change /bin/sh instances to /opt/bin/bash. In the two makefiles, you'll need to get rid of the -O2 compile flags from the CXXFLAGS lines (keep the -g and the -DISABLE_TRANSCODING though!). If you don't do this you'll get an 'internal compiler error' when compiling UPnPAction.cpp - i.e. the first file

Now, you should be ready to go: enter the fuppes directory and do

Code:
make
and after about 1hour 45mins, it'll have built you a copy of fuppes.
Do

Code:
make install
to finish up, and then you can run fuppes (or fuppesd the daemon version) - see the documentation at http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/wiki....php/Main_Page for further info on setting it up (the config file is /opt/.fuppes/fuppes.cfg and you'll want to copy the vfolder.cfg file from the fuppes dir into /opt/.fuppes).

With a bit of luck, and enabling the xbox360 sections in both fuppes.cfg and vfolder.cfg you should be able to get the 360 to see it. Note: you need to add the <description_values> section to fuppes.cfg (see http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/wiki...osoft_Xbox_360) for the 360 to see it properly. Go to dashboard, media 'blade', do pictures/music and change source (x button). Worked for me.

This is as far as i've got: run fuppes, rebuild the database/virtual folders, and it works: the 360 sees it, and i can see some music in the 'songs' section. But a couple of issues remain:

1) I can't see any of my photos, or avi videos: These are all from a copy of my iPhoto library from my mac onto the shared asus drive.

2) My music is just one big mess of various albums together - the config of the virtual folders doesn't seem right to me).

3) I can't seem to run fuppes as a daemon, so that it starts nicely from rc.local. I'm sure this is a bit of linux trickery, but simply doing 'fuppes &' or 'fuppesd > /dev/null' didn't seem to work for me. Must be missing something - if you get it working in rc.local let me know!!

Reading from various forums, people have got it working nicely, but I'm a bit stumped. It seems like just a configuration issue now (apart from '3' above) but i've not had success thus far. All help really appreciated right now!

And that's it: if you try it, post comments and let me know: i'll update this 'how-to' with your experiences so hopefully we get the definitive media server for the asus box.

~neil