Ok, compiling fuppes under 1.0.7.8 is a bazillion times easier thanks to the KCSHELL modification in this version. once again, thanks K.C.

I now have files organised according to albums/genre/artist etc - which is a big step on from ushare for me (>100 albums = 1 big mess of files under ushare which isn't practical for me). still no photos/videos - but i know why at least the photos don't work (more later).

so, to compile fuppes, you'll need to install the following ipkgs

Code:
ipkg install optware-devel
ipkg install buildroot
ipkg install sqlite
ipkg install pcre
ipkg install ffmpeg
ipkg install pcre
First, you'll need taglib (google it, download source)

compile by doing

Code:
autoreconf -vfi
./configure --prefix=/opt
make
make install
this is necessary for the 'by album/artist' vfolder searches. i seem to remember getting an error in the 'make install' part, but by this stage its already created the libtaglib files necessary and put them in the right place, so its probably ok.

then, get latest fuppes (i use 586, but a 587 was released last night), and compile as in the original post i made. note: you don't need to do any of the pesky changing /bin/sh to /opt/bin/bash now! woohoo!

...but you still need to drop the -O2 flag as before from the two makefiles.

then make/make install as before and all shoudl work.

NOTE: does anyone know how to cross-compiling for the wl700ge ? ie it would be loads quicker to compile on a windows machine (running cygwin say?) or a linux box (although i don't have access to one right now)

This gets me a working, semi-organised music folder udner fuppes. Why no video? no idea - working on that, but i believe its down to libavformat issues - will try and compile latest/greatest and try again.

photos? well, it seems that fuppes needs to use imagemagick to extract the meta-data from the jpgs for resolution etc - the 360 needs these to work correctly. the imagemagick package under optware repository doesn't seem to cut-it (fuppes needs ImageMagick++) and i've no success with compiling it from source yet (hence why i need cross-compiling option, cos its easier/quciker to work with)

hope this helps - if anyone else is interested in working with me on getting fully-working fuppes up and running under the wl700ge i'd appreciate it: i still think its the best non-twonky route for media serving to the xbox360 available at present