I am having problems with connections staying up when using a WL500g with a Dlink DSL 300G+ ADSL ethernet modem. The basic problem is to do with the fact that the modem has a DHCP lease period of 10 seconds, and whenever the lease is renewed to the WL500G connections in existence are dropped even though the WAN IP address is still the same.

What this means to me is that browsing is sort of OK, but downloads don't work. VNC and VPN can't hold up. It's a real pain.

I don't seem to be able to adjust the dhcp lease time on the modem and I'm seeing the following lines in the log:-

Dec 5 19:00:06 user.notice dhcp client: deconfig: lease is lost
Dec 5 19:00:16 user.notice dhcp client: deconfig: lease is lost

Which is not surprising. What is surprising is that all wan connections get dropped at that point. This for all wan access regardkess of whether the machine is fixed IP for DHCP. Wired or wireless. All LAN traffic is fine during all this.

I am using the custom firmware 1.7.5.9 CR5
I have the main Machines are running XP pro which are wired connections to the WL500g and have fixed IP adresses on the same subnet as the WL500g. For the fixed IP addresses the gateway and DNS TCP-IP settings are set to point to the LAN IP address of the WL500g.

my Laptop and pocketpc connect via wireless and use the dhcp from the WL500g to get an IP address. The dhcp and fixed ranges do not overlap and the DHCP lease time for the WL500g is set to 86400 secs (I don't think that's anything to do with it).

One Final thing: I used to have a 300T ethernet modem which you could set the DHCP lease time on which I had to modify up to several hours to get the connections to stay up. That modem had to be sent back as it failed, so that's why I'm now stuck with this.

I do hope someone can help me with this.