Thread: How can I set up Oleg's 1.9.2.7-8 firmware so it automatically bridges to home WLAN?

How can I set up Oleg's 1.9.2.7-8 firmware so it automatically bridges to home WLAN?

Hi,

I have flashed Oleg's 1.9.2.7-8 firmware onto a WL500gP. I have set up the router in Ethernet Bridge mode so that it connects to my main home modem/router/WLAN AP.

If I power up my home AP first and then the WL500gP, then everything works fine. If I power up the WL500gP and then the home AP, then the WL500gP never connects. I guess this is because the WL500gP just checks the WLAN at boot up and then never looks again.

Is there a setting in the WL500gP that can be used to instruct the WL500gP to keep trying to connect, or do I need to write a start up script to do this?

Regards,

Tony May

Try to set your routers to wds mode.

Thanks for the suggestion. My home access point (D-Link DSL G-624M) does not support WDS. The WL500gP router is set up in WDS only mode. Any other ideas?

Well, it is reported, that dd-wrt has a repeater mode.
    Your asus should be able to run dd-wrt, even when it's not so easy to configure usb and such stuff, but it is possible anyway.

Next thing would be openwrt, but you must have linux-knowledge. Openwrt is much more flexible and there is a webif called xwrt (maybe you know it).

Unfortunately, your D-Link is not supported in any 3rd party fw. Hence, the only chance is to operate in repeater mode.

I've to note, I never got a working repeater mode with ddwrt (on WRT54GL), but this happend with the first V24 RC.

Edit: Found this: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
    Last edited by newbiefan; 20-01-2008 at 11:52.