Thread: Spin down disk and bittorrent

Spin down disk and bittorrent

Hi. I have installed Oleg firmware on my WL500gP using the guide:

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=10307

Under the Cron section in the guide, it is explained that using Cron will access the disk periodically, and prevent it from spinning down.

Under the Transmision section, it is explained, that Transmision depends on Cron.

Does that mean, that if I want to use Transmision or another Bittorrent client, I will no longer have the possibility to spin down my disk?

My disk is a WD-MyBook, and I am not using the spin down script. The spin down funtionality seems to be integrated in the disk.

Quote Originally Posted by jokkemokke View Post

Under the Cron section in the guide, it is explained that using Cron will access the disk periodically, and prevent it from spinning down.

Under the Transmision section, it is explained, that Transmision depends on Cron.

Does that mean, that if I want to use Transmision or another Bittorrent client, I will no longer have the possibility to spin down my disk?

My disk is a WD-MyBook, and I am not using the spin down script. The spin down funtionality seems to be integrated in the disk.
    Transmission does not require to have cron if you carry torrent managment.

Hi Oleo,

can you please explain this further? I have the same problem, as I want to use transmission and spin-down. How can this be done?

Quote Originally Posted by bodvar View Post
    Hi Oleo,

can you please explain this further? I have the same problem, as I want to use transmission and spin-down. How can this be done?
    Do you want to enable or disable spin-down on you disk?
    If you are downloading/seeding torrents, every access to the disk disk will cause a spin-up. If you don't like that, stop downloading/seeding torrents.

You can control transmission-daemon with transmission-remote, via cron jobs, if you like to start and stop at predefined times.

Quote Originally Posted by jokkemokke View Post

yes, wd-mybook stops spinning after 10 minutes if nothing is written or read from it in between. (not very likely if you use the disk for transmission.)

Quote Originally Posted by MMCM View Post
    Do you want to enable or disable spin-down on you disk?
    If you are downloading/seeding torrents, every access to the disk disk will cause a spin-up. If you don't like that, stop downloading/seeding torrents.

You can control transmission-daemon with transmission-remote, via cron jobs, if you like to start and stop at predefined times.

I'll explain: I want the disk to spin down when I am not downloading or seeding.

Right now, the disks spin up again when S10-transmission daemon is running, which it does following wengi's tutorial, although I don't download or seed. When I kill this process, the disk does not spin up all the time. I need to check transmission remote, what is that?

Quote Originally Posted by bodvar View Post
    I need to check transmission remote, what is that?
    http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/man

If you stop downloading/seeding, and your hard disk still spins up, you could stop/terminate the daemon as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MMCM View Post
    http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/man

If you stop downloading/seeding, and your hard disk still spins up, you could stop/terminate the daemon as well.

Yes, that's what I am doing now, but I wanted to start and stop downloading/seeding without manually starting/stopping transmission daemon every time (which means I have to log in to putty etc). I know it only takes seconds, but hey, we try to make life easier right