Thread: Custom Firmware v1.1.2.8

Custom Firmware v1.1.2.8

For all WL-HDD users here's a custom firmware which includes:
    * telnet daemon
    * nfsv3 daemon
    * vsftpd daemon (replaces stupid-ftpd)
    * samba 3.0.9 (supports CIFS)
    * doesn't poll for the harddisk each 5 seconds

Every feature of the original 1.1.2.8 firmware is in this custom version, also NTFS R/W support

You find the 34MB file 1.1.2.8-custom.zip in:
    http://website.wl500g.info/beta/firmware.php?fid=5
    (courtesy of Antiloop, thanks once more )

Below you find a copy of the accompanying readme.

JockyW

Code:
    Date: 27 Nov 2004
    Created by: JockyW

THIS STUFF IS ONLY FOR WL-HDD2.5 USERS WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!!!
    I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE

Consult the WL-HDD forum on  http://wl500g.info if you need support.
    (Since my time is limited I can not offer 24/7 support-:) )

What's it all about
    -------------------

This 1.1.2.8 based firmware + files which need to be installed on the built-in harddisk offers TELNET, NFSv3 (kernelspace), VSFTPD 2.0.1, Samba 3.0.9, and busybox 1.0.0. The HDD watchdog is removed and numerous issues found in my previous version 1.1.2.7-custom are solved. I use this custom firmware mainly for streaming from and to my satreceiver (Dbox2).

Prerequisites
    -------------

- An Asus WL-HDD2.5 with built-in HDD which contains a shared partition "part1" which can be accessed from your PC with RW access
    - I assume the IP of the Asus is 192.168.1.220
    - You have these 3 files:
    WLHDD_1.1.2.8-JockyW-1.0_en.trx
    tmp.rar
    conf.tar.gz
    - you have an unrar util on your PC (I use winrar)
    - if you have my previous custom firmware (1.1.2.7-custom) on your WL-HDD you should also have the original Asus file WLHDD_1.1.2.8_en.trx . You can download from ftp://taiwan.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/wireless/WL-HDD/ 

How to install
    --------------

Perform the steps below if you still have the original firmware on your WL-HDD:
    1) connect your PC by wire to the WL-HDD
    2) boot up your WL-HDD
    3) copy the files tmp.rar and conf.tar.gz to the root directory of the part1 share
    4) unrar the file tmp.rar to /tmp (!! be careful: the files should be in /tmp *not* in /tmp/tmp !!)
    5) open the "backdoor" webpage in your browser: http://192.168.1.220/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp (username=admin, password=admin)
    6) copy the following command to the "System Command" textbox and then click the "Refresh" button:
    chmod a+x /tmp/harddisk/part1/tmp/busybox
    7) copy the following command to the "System Command" textbox and then click the "Refresh" button:
    chmod a+x /tmp/harddisk/part1/tmp/telnetd
    8) copy the following command to the "System Command" textbox and then click the "Refresh" button:
    ln -s /tmp/harddisk/part1/tmp/busybox /tmp/harddisk/part1/tmp/sh
    9) copy the following command to the "System Command" textbox and then click the "Refresh" button:
    /tmp/harddisk/part1/tmp/telnetd -d -l /tmp/harddisk/part1/tmp/sh
    10) the previous command started the telnet daemon and now you can access it from your PC with: telnet 192.168.1.220
    11) on the prompt type:
    cd /tmp/harddisk/part1
    12) enter the command:
    tmp/busybox tar xzvf conf.tar.gz
    13) all necessary files are now installed on the harddisk and now you flash the new firmware WLHDD_1.1.2.8-JockyW-1.0_en.trx on your WL-HDD
    14) wait until flashing is done and until the Asus has rebooted itself
    15) congratulations! you (hopefully) made it :D

Perform the steps below if you have my previous custom firmware (1.1.2.7-custom) on your WL-HDD:
    1) connect your PC by wire to the WL-HDD
    2) boot up your WL-HDD
    3) copy the files tmp.rar and conf.tar.gz to the root directory of the part1 share
    4) flash the original Asus firmware WLHDD_1.1.2.8_en.trx on your WL-HDD
    Note: if this fails you should reboot the WL-HDD and enter following commands in telnet: 'killall -9 nfsd', 'killall -9 mountd', 'killall -9 portmap' and 'killall -9 vsftpd'. Then flash again.
    5) open the "backdoor" webpage in your browser: http://192.168.1.220/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp (username=admin, password=admin)
    6) copy the following command to the "System Command" textbox and then click the "Refresh" button:
    rm -rf /tmp/harddisk/part1/tmp/
    7) copy the following command to the "System Command" textbox and then click the "Refresh" button:
    rm -rf /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/
    8) unrar the file tmp.rar to /tmp (!! be careful: the files should be in /tmp *not* in /tmp/tmp !!)
    9) copy the following command to the "System Command" textbox and then click the "Refresh" button:
    chmod a+x /tmp/harddisk/part1/tmp/busybox
    10) copy the following command to the "System Command" textbox and then click the "Refresh" button:
    chmod a+x /tmp/harddisk/part1/tmp/telnetd
    11) copy the following command to the "System Command" textbox and then click the "Refresh" button:
    ln -s /tmp/harddisk/part1/tmp/busybox /tmp/harddisk/part1/tmp/sh
    12) copy the following command to the "System Command" textbox and then click the "Refresh" button:
    /tmp/harddisk/part1/tmp/telnetd -d -l /tmp/harddisk/part1/tmp/sh
    13) the previous command started the telnet daemon and now you can access it from your PC with: telnet 192.168.1.220
    14) on the prompt type:
    cd /tmp/harddisk/part1
    15) enter the command:
    tmp/busybox tar xzvf conf.tar.gz
    16) all necessary files are now installed on the harddisk and now you flash the new firmware WLHDD_1.1.2.8-JockyW-1.0_en.trx on your WL-HDD
    17) wait until flashing is done and until the Asus has rebooted itself
    18) congratulations! you (hopefully) made it :D

How to use
    ----------

1) you can now telnet directly into your Asus with: telnet 192.168.1.220
    2) same for ftp (ftp 192.168.1.220): username = admin , password = admin
    3) to use NFS you have to edit the file "exports" which you can do with a Unix compatible texteditor such as ultraedit on Windowz. You find it in the directory /conf/etc on the "part1" share. The absolute pathname is /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/etc/exports
    4) to configure Samba 3.0.9 you can use the Webinterface http://wl-hdd/index.asp (username=admin, password=admin). At startup the file smb.conf is written in /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/usr/local/samba/lib). You can try to tune Samba by editing this file and then restart Samba with  'smbd -D' and 'nmbd -D'. If you get a better performance please post in the www.chupa.nl forum.
    5) to configure the ftp daemon vsftpd 2.0.1 you must edit with a Unix compatible texteditor such as ultraedit on Windowz.
    6) the file /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/etc/resolv.conf contains DNS nameservers (currently set to my router with ip 192.168.1.1). Edit it with a Unix compatible texteditor such as ultraedit on Windowz.

Issues
    ------
    1) After shutting down via telnet ('halt') or by pressing the button 5 seconds my WL-HDD switches on again after ~60 seconds

Credits
    -------

Without the help of Oleg and Antiloop of www.chupa.nl things would have taken much longer.
    Greetings to petgun and rubberdick who tested the NFS with their dbox satreceivers.

Enjoy!
    JockyW
    Last edited by Antiloop; 08-08-2005 at 10:48.

JockyW, congratulations to you.

A few words. Please take some time to prepare and publish sources and complete makefile and pathces for recreating work you've done. This is a good thing the opensource world, so everyone will be able to build it from scratch. This will also really help to you to avoid errors, then you're switching to newer versions. This will also help to survive data lost... In short - there are many reasons for that.

Besides of that, there is a GPL, which requires providing sources for the publically distributed binaries, otherwise this could cause problems for Antiloop which is hosting this...

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    JockyW, congratulations to you.

A few words. Please take some time to prepare and publish sources and complete makefile and pathces for recreating work you've done. This is a good thing the opensource world, so everyone will be able to build it from scratch. This will also really help to you to avoid errors, then you're switching to newer versions. This will also help to survive data lost... In short - there are many reasons for that.

Besides of that, there is a GPL, which requires providing sources for the publically distributed binaries, otherwise this could cause problems for Antiloop which is hosting this...
    Yes of course. I will provide patches and build instructions this week.
    Oleg & Antiloop: Thanks again for your wonderful support.

Cheers,
    JockyW

Thanks for the firmware.

I'm happy to see the binary are now directly executable on Oleg's custom firmware.

smbd and nmbd runs correctly, but I cannot finish the setup. I cannot execute the smbpasswd -a administrator from your conf/bin folder, as I get this error.

Code:
    [admin@wl-hdd lib]$ /tmp/hd/conf/bin/smbpasswd -a administrator
    New SMB password:
    Retype new SMB password:
    build_sam_account: smbpasswd database is corrupt!  username administrator with uid 0 is not in unix passwd database!
    Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user administrator. Does this user exist in the UNIX password database ?
    Failed to modify password entry for user administrator
    Is I run the one from Oleg's firmware, I can add user, but it seems it doesn't read the user database.

I have a /etc/passwd, a /etc/smbpasswd, a /etc/config/smbpasswd (a copy, just in case).

Code:
    [admin@wl-hdd lib]$ cat /etc/smbpasswd
    # Samba SMB password file
    admin:0:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:root:/usr/local/root:/bin/sh
    guest:99:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:guest:/:/sbin/nologin
    administrator:0:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:root:/usr/local/root:/bin/sh

It doesn't accept my users in user mode, or doesn't connect in share mode. I'm sure there is a file or a path missing to make it work.

Here is my smb.conf file:
    Code:
    [admin@wl-hdd lib]$ vi smb.conf
    workgroup = wg
    server string = WLHDD
    netbios name = wl-hdd
    log file = /
    log level = 1
    max log size = 5
    security = share
    guest ok = yes
    guest account = root
    max connections = 6
    username map = /etc/smbusers
    smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
    encrypt passwords = yes
    pam password change = no
    obey pam restrictions = no
    interfaces = 192.168.1.10/255.255.255.0
    dns proxy = no
    [part2]
    comment = WL-HDD1 part2
    path = /tmp/hd2
    guest ok = yes
    readonly = yes
    writeable = yes
    directory mode = 0777
    create mask = 0777
    [part1]
    comment = WL-HDD1 part1
    path = /tmp/hd
    guest ok = yes
    readonly = yes
    writeable = yes
    directory mode = 0777
    create mask = 0777
    I'm trying either share mode or user mode.

guest = root is out of despair, i'll remove it when it will be ok

running in share mode, i get this error:

Code:
    [admin@wl-hdd lib]$ /tmp/hd/conf/bin/smbd -i -S
    smbd version 3.0.9 started.
    Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2004
    User root in passdb, but getpwnam() fails!
    User root in passdb, but getpwnam() fails!
    in user mode, no user can login (i'm expert on the windows side, so i'm sure I'm trying the right username and password to get my share)
    any idea? what is your config?
    Last edited by hugo; 28-11-2004 at 21:58. Reason: Adding details

First off: These Samba binaries expect smb.conf in /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/usr/local/samba/lib and smbpasswd in /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/usr/local/samba/private
    I configured Samba with --prefix=/tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/usr/local/samba

All binaries are statically linked with glibc so no surprise they work with in Oleg's unified firm.

You can answer most of your questions by starting nmbd and smbd in interactive mode with some reasonable debuglevel and redirecting output to stdout and most important tell where to find your smb.conf for example:

Code:
    nmbd -i -S -d 5 -s /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
    smbd -i -S -d 5 -s /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
    smbpasswd -c /xyz/smb.conf
    Use the --help option to see all available options

problem is it cannot find user in passwd file. I have a password file in /etc but I see your full busybox is modifying in .../conf/etc folder. maybe this is the cause? where should be located passwd file in this case? I tryed both without success.

My samba error is the following:

Code:
    Primary group is 0 and contains 0 supplementary groups
    getsmbfilepwent: returning passwd entry for user admin, uid 0
    getsmbfilepwent: returning passwd entry for user guest, uid 99
    getsmbfilepwent: returning passwd entry for user administrator, uid 0
    build_sam_account: smbpasswd database is corrupt!  username administrator with uid 0 is not in unix passwd database!
    pop_sec_ctx (0, 0) - sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 0
    check_sam_security: Couldn't find user 'Administrator' in passdb file.
    check_ntlm_password: sam authentication for user [Administrator] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
    check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [Administrator] -> [Administrator] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

Quote Originally Posted by hugo
    problem is it cannot find user in passwd file. I have a password file in /etc but I see your full busybox is modifying in .../conf/etc folder. maybe this is the cause? where should be located passwd file in this case? I tryed both without success.
    Ah yes, that's probably it. My busybox is expecting passwd, shadow, group, gshadow in /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/etc

My 1.1.2.8 based firmware remounts /etc from flash to /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/etc at boot time

So you should also remount your /etc (mount -o bind /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/etc /etc)
    Last edited by JOCKYW2001; 28-11-2004 at 23:34.

If JockyW2001's answer does not solve your problem this may be of some use

From what I recall from a long time ago when configuring samba 3.n.n. on a linux machine is that you need to map your linux users to samba users. The linux user should of course have sufficient privileges.

I guess it's all case sensitive (I noted "administrator" in one of your posts and " Administrator" in another)

Why are all your partitions readonly?
    Shouldn't there be "[Global] at the top of your conf file?
    Can admin and administrator have the same uid?

Tried mapping user root to samba users? (smbpasswd -a root), then security = share, guest = nobody. Perhaps you will also need to set encrypt passwords = no.

If this doesn't work use testparm to check your config file for any errors or

check out Samba troubleshooting? http://au1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...diagnosis.html

or http://au1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...FastStart.html for some worked examples.

or read the whole bl..... smb manual

I had very similar probs, but managed to work them out using these man pages, starting with a very minimal config file.

Are you using SWAT? if not would this be possible? Will certainly make config a lot easier for new users.
    Brubber

WL-500g, WL-138g, WL-160g

JockyW, congratulations on your own custom firmware! *thumbs-up-smiley* This community can use more of this.

Before I flash my WL-HDD with this custom firmware, how do I switch back to the original Asus 1.1.2.8 if needed? Flashing the original firmware file?

Quote Originally Posted by Xeryus
    Before I flash my WL-HDD with this custom firmware, how do I switch back to the original Asus 1.1.2.8 if needed? Flashing the original firmware file?
    Yep

JockyW

I keep getting this error:

Code:
    User nobody in passdb, but getpwnam() fails!
    in smb log.

Also, smbadduser give this:

Code:
    ./smbpasswd -c /tmp/hd/conf/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf -a guest
    New SMB password:
    Retype new SMB password:
    build_sam_account: smbpasswd database is corrupt!  username guest with uid 99 is not in unix passwd database!
    Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user guest. Does this user exist in the UNIX password database ?
    Failed to modify password entry for user guest
    Of course, I have mounted etc from the /conf/etc, and my passwd file has a guest user:

Code:
    [admin@wl-hdd etc]$ cat passwd
    admin:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:0:0:root:/usr/local/root:/bin/sh
    nobody:x:99:99:nobody:/:/sbin/nologin
    hugo:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:500:500:users:/home/hugo:/bin/sh
    ftp::501:501:Linux User,,,:/home/ftp:/bin/sh
    Administrator:$1$$PARKLi5sT.PXFt/m702ca/:502:502:Linux User,,,:/home/Administrator:/bin/sh
    guest:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:503:503:Linux User,,,:/home/guest:/bin/sh
    I also have this if I try the guest account:

Code:
    [admin@wl-hdd bin]$  ./smbpasswd -c /tmp/hd/conf/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf -a nobody
    New SMB password:
    Retype new SMB password:
    Could not find gest account via getpwnam()! (nobody)
    Failed to modify entry for user nobody.
    Failed to modify password entry for user nobody
    My smb.conf is as simple as possible, but it shouldn't interfere with the adduser.

Do you see what could be missing?

Maybe the system points to a different passwd file, and busybox points to /etc. This might be why all system calls fails?

Did you try this??

Map user root to samba users?
    Code:
    smbpasswd -a root
    then security = share, guest = nobody. Perhaps you will also need to set encrypt passwords = no.
    Last edited by brubber; 29-11-2004 at 21:55.
    Brubber

WL-500g, WL-138g, WL-160g

I already tryed it.

This answer:

Code:
    [admin@wl-hdd bin]$ ./smbpasswd -c /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf -a admin
    New SMB password:
    Retype new SMB password:
    build_sam_account: smbpasswd database is corrupt!  username admin with uid 0 is not in unix passwd database!
    Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user admin. Does this user exist in the UNIX password database ?
    Failed to modify password entry for user admin
    [admin@wl-hdd bin]$ ./smbpasswd -c /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf -a root
    New SMB password:
    Retype new SMB password:
    Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user root. Does this user exist in the UNIX password database ?
    Failed to modify password entry for user root
    I have the same result with normal etc, or etc from .../conf/etc

On the other side, the smbpasswd from Oleg's firmware do work on the same user

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast